Another Gas Question (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I have read many posts on here and have probably made some assumptions so here goes.
We are new to this and have only recently taken delivery of our motor home.
We have 2 6kg Calor gas bottles and I believe that these cannot be exchanged abroad. Going abroad we would have to take 2 full ones and that would mean probably exchanging one that was not empty.
We have a couple of Camping Gaz cylinders which if I have read correctly we could use as back up if I have the correct connector and pigtail. I always thought that different regulators were needed for propane and butane but I have read that the Camping Gaz could run through the bulkhead regulator, is this so?
I know that Camping Gaz is expensive but it will be for back up only and it is readily available. At the moment I don't want to commit to a refillable system but this will always be an option for the future.
Thanks

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am unsure about camping gaz set up, but both propane and butane go through the bulkhead regulator. The pigtail connectors are different between the two though.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
How long are you going Abroad for? We could last 3 Months on 2 x 6kg Calor, but not using the fridge and in Spring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Truma do a Camping Gaz adaptor, depending on which pigtail you have you may have to change that as well. It looks like it uses the standard German propane connection which is the same as a UK butane one.
Bulkhead regulators are the same for both butane & propane, both gases now run at 30mb.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My last Camping Gaz bottle had a screw in regulator, does yours?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
You haven't stated whether your MH has a bulkhead regulator or one that is attached to the bottle.
If bulkhead then as others have indicated you will need an appropriate pigtail.
For older vehicles, without a bulkhead regulator, you will need to remove the propane regulator from the hose and fit a low pressure regulator screwed onto your Camping Gaz 907 bottle. You probably have that already for what ever you have been using it for.
We took this as a back-up some years ago when, like you, we didn't know how much gas we would use.
However, we never had to use it. The two 6kg bottles were sufficient.

Two years were in September so still decent temperatures but some quite cool nights. One year was 4 weeks the second was Six weeks stretching into October. A 5 week tour in May/June was very variable.

On each trip we were sometimes on EHU sometimes on aires. Always lighting the fridge if we were out for the day from a site. All cooking was done on gas and on some occasions, on aires, we needed the heating on too.
We did change to the second bottle on the longest trip but didn't need to use the 907.
This was our experience. We knew we could exchange the Camping Gaz if we needed to so used gas if we wanted to.
We didn't bother with a BBQ because of lack of space on board.

Go and enjoy the freedom!

Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Yes, it is a bulkhead regulator.
Thanks to you all, I now feel reassured.
Thanks Brian for your experience with 2 6kgs.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We had a regulator supplied exactly the same as Lenny HB posted by are van converter.

By chance called into a inter marche shop in Matha a couple of days ago glanced at the gaz bottles think they were. ā‚¬22

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
speak to hamiltons gas or one of the others you can but adaptors to let the propane pigtail fit a camping gas etc .its just getting the right adaptors . i have camping to butane then another adaptor that fits butane to propane .
in fact my spanish bottle as an adaptor to camping gas then to butane . i use moroccan /german /old uk butane style regulator

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Before we went to fillables, we had three x 6k bottles.
Two in the van and one at home.
If we were going on an extended trip the part used bottle was swapped at home for a full one..
Then when in the UK used up any the part filled bottles and swapped them out when empty
It was a reasonable plan.. Spoilt only by the fact we used so little gas it was all a bit of a waste of time !
The longest we ever went away for was 9 weeks,, and in that time we rarely ( very rarely ! ) used a whole bottle full :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back