Another battery question and all was w (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
hi
I've had my motorhome for three years now, a 20 year old wayfarer, as I was giving her a clean I noticed that my hab battery wasn't working so I switched to my main battery and all was well, then it dawned on me that the last couple of trips away the hab battery wasn't working then either, I thought nothing of it at the time as I new I'd be using campsite mains.......along pops a neighbor and he suggested taking it out and charging it....so I did ......to my horror it was flat with no sign of coming back to life, not knowing much about batteries but I thought the alternator would charge up the battery as I drove......what did I do wrong to cause it to drain flat, it was ok when I purchased the van, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unfortunately they don't last forever so it's probably just old and knackered, there should be a date on it somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You've had the van for 3 years but how old was the battery then ?

4 to 5 years is about the life expectancy for a leisure battery.

Chances are you did nothing wrong, just the battery come to the end of its useful life.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Contrary to what folks on here say ,you can sometimes bring them back to life , but obviously not like it was , if you get one of the smart battery chargers , sometimes have them at Lidl or Aldi and get some jump leads from your dud to a good battery and connect your charger to this it will sometimes charge them up, I do this all the time with batterys on electric fences, and even on some of my old tractors .
Edit this is on batterys that other people have chucked out as no good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Cheers for that chaps, it didn't dawn on me how old the battery was so it's time for a new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

181 Lux

Free Member
Aug 22, 2017
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Riviera 181 Lux
Exp
Since June 2017
Hi there my local garage told me when my battery went almost flat,to leave it on trickel charge for a couple of days and said if the battery reading goes up to more than 60% it could be OK. But it not he has a charging unit that will revamp the battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back