An important message..... (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
This is a serious post about something that some people simply ignore.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
There are some stupid people about!

After working for 40 years on mainly new road construction you see some unbelievable idiots in vehicles.

Probably the worst one was about 5years ago when I had the contract for a new road/roundabout into a superstore, standing on the kerb talking to one of the lads and a car drove past with a very fat women in the passenger seat, she had a baby probably about 6-8 months old laid on her very fat stomach.
If that wasn’t bad enough she had the seatbelt over the baby!!

Kids jumping around the car was a common thing as was kids without car seats...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Similarly, you should never drive with your arm across the steering wheel, one hand gripping the top.

This is a very popular driving position - see it a lot in TV programmes especially from the USA, maybe because it looks more "manly" than a correct driving position with 2 hands on the wheel at 10 - 2 o'clock.

When the driver's airbag goes off, that shatters your forearm and smashes it into your face. Terrible injuries to the arm and face, and totally avoidable.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hazel is correct with this one, its surprisingly common & can be deadly.
I've seen at least one fatality with the lower leg bones sticking out the back of a woman's skull.
Tiny little entrance hole on the face & the back of her skull splattered onto the back window.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
As a ex truck driver. You see quite a lot of people doing it. Not only that. But babies asleep on dashboards . And kids standing up with their heads and shoulders out of sunroofs .

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
As a ex truck driver. You see quite a lot of people doing it. Not only that. But babies asleep on dashboards . And kids standing up with their heads and shoulders out of sunroofs .
It beggers belief doesn't it.?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Awful injury... it makes me wince just looking at it.

I know of a guy who slid down from the roof with his feet either side of a ladder. It was something he did often but this time he lost control and hit the ground landing at speed on both feet. It resulted in similar life changing injuries.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This is a serious post about something that some people simply ignore.

John often sits like this, wont listen just have to hope we never end up in this situation. will bookmark and show him tomorrow he wont be in a fit tate to see it when he hets home tonight.
Have emailed him the link perhaps now he will stop telling me of for nagging, but i doubt it.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In Australia , local woman passenger in front nearly back home from long trip , was hit partly head on by another car overtaking truck . She had feet up on dash , both femurs were smashed thru hip sockets . We had to take roof off car to get her out , and it was years before she was able to get walking again , with aid of sticks .

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its always been a pet hate of mine to see passengers put their bare feet up on the dash board, especially on long runs like motorways.
They think its cool, It just makes me Gag:sick:, dont know why it always has, I luckily have never had a passenger with me that wanted to do it, so maybe I/they are just lucky.
Another pet hate, but maybe not as dangerous.
I know there are a lot of Funsters that like to drive their MH's long distances in bare feet, not even a flip flop or any type of shoe ( no names mentioned, as there was a thread on it), but its feels bad enough for me when I have just gone to move the car in summer on the drive when washing it, I always ask myself how can others prefer it, how could they put enough brake pressure with a bare foot on that relatively small brake pedal in an emergency.

I suppose all of have our idiosyncrasies though dont we, that's what makes us all different, I guess, as long as its safe to all involved in doing so, then I aint judgin.(y)
LES

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
That scan made me wince.
The kids standing up, head through sunroof happens around here. Part of the “ we‘re on holiday, nothing bad can happen” mentality. Also unrestrained dogs, window fully down.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Slightly different vane. I was an RTC with a taxi and another car.
Taxi driver had a fare gash on his heed where it whacked into windscreen as he was not wearing his belt as he was excempt!
I pointed out to him if he had he would not look like a casualty of a Viking invasion.
He got a bit stroppy at this point and declared he didnt need to as he was a taxi driver.
Proffessional sympathy? Not a bit.
Not only does it not make sense the insurers knock any potential injury claims right down.
Anyway, he knew best!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My late wife could only travel, because of her condition, with her feet on a cushion on the dash - her 'condition' was terminal.

No air bag

Stop at home or travel ?

- what would you do?

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
John often sits like this, wont listen just have to hope we never end up in this situation. will bookmark and show him tomorrow he wont be in a fit tate to see it when he hets home tonight.
Have emailed him the link perhaps now he will stop telling me of for nagging, but i doubt it.
If a post like this saves one life I will be happy.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
But that is a case of exceptional circumstances, others do not have any good reason.

You are right (y) but it should be pointed out to those with no good reason that it is the air bag that will be the real danger scotzsue - it will instantly propel anything in front of it at the passenger and driver.

My 2004 Ducato had no airbag and a cushion rested in the space left.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I would also point out that the passenger airbag must be disabled if carrying a baby in a rear facing child seat or if the passenger has a medical condition that might be affected by its deployment......

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Brilliant
Allegedly, what the strap hangers in black cabs where for. (requires "imagination", a (very) dirty mind, and some level of physical agility)

On a serious level, we too have seen, mostly but not exclusivity, youngsters do the same thing. We had a guy in our Motor club, back in the 70`s, who lost an arm, driving with it out of the window. sideswiped a bus, ripped it off, he would have died of blood loss had it not been for the quick thinking of the bus driver, who having stopped applied a tourniquet to the remaining stump (his belt allegedly).

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Getting the message across is the main difficulty when trying to educate, common sense does not play a part.
Feet on dash, arm out of window, kids heads through the sunroof, using mobile phone, the list is endless, and drivers and passengers are only shocked into changing their ways when its just too late....that's just the way it goes, always has been and always will be...being stupid at times is all part of the human makeup....as we have all experienced...."What if" never seems to be of any importance. "If only" does....that's my view on this important posting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back