Amazon Fire Stick (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Does anyone have experiences using the Amazon Fire Stick both in UK and in the EU? I gues its ok in UK but what about European travel?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It will work anywhere you have a wifi network. The cost of using a UK sim in a phone or mifi abroad is pretty high and the firestick can be data hungry. You can go into settings and reduce the resolution, but it will still suck 500Mb an hour at the lowest

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I splashed out on a firestick so that we could watch the coronation as we expect to be in Spain 🇪🇸 then. Setting the lowest resolution is sensible as not only reduces data use but also reduces any buffering.
Our TV in the motorhome is only 19" and even 360p is barely distinguishable from HD at that size.
You can set 360p on YouTube but lowest firestick resolution seems to be 720p.
We don't usually watch any TV while away so the data use not really a problem.
With a few apps you have access to many hundreds of channels, though usually nothing I would want to watch on any of them.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Does anyone have experiences using the Amazon Fire Stick both in UK and in the EU? I gues its ok in UK but what about European travel?
We use ours a lot especially on winter trips here in Morocco again ( 10 years ago Pete, its changed a lot) I watched F1 on c4 Monday with a VPN, but usually manage to use our UK data packages in Europe. Its much better than satelite because we watch what, when and where we want. Satelite these days even struggles with Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
There are several apps (most free) available for the fire stick that mirrors the actual screen of the android tablet/iPad. Providing it plays on the tablet it will be on the screen. I use the air receiver app.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've not used it for years. Could not see any point in them. Scarcity of channels biggest complaint.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm using alphatronics tv, teltonika router, external ariel.

only minor hassle I have is prime has now sussed my vpn.

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
I am sure everyone know this but anyway. The absolutely best way to have a vpn is to install at your, family or friends house in the U.K a router that is capable of supporting a vpn, most decent ones can, me personal choice is a Draytek. You then have vpn to that which is undetectable to any of the streaming services as you appear to be at home. Some clever ones try to use your phone or tablets location but just deny them location services. I have done this for maybe fifteen years and I have never had an issue. The services detect many connections from the same range of IP addresses. This way it is as if you where at home. Oh, and no cost after you have fitted the router. Just don’t let people share it both from speed and detectability reasons but mainly security.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are using a tv with wifi, you can mirror directly to that from a phone on the same network. It is in the firestick settings. So anything on your phone can be viewed on the tv. Even using a mifi for the network it works

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I am sure everyone know this but anyway. The absolutely best way to have a vpn is to install at your, family or friends house in the U.K a router that is capable of supporting a vpn, most decent ones can, me personal choice is a Draytek. You then have vpn to that which is undetectable to any of the streaming services as you appear to be at home. Some clever ones try to use your phone or tablets location but just deny them location services. I have done this for maybe fifteen years and I have never had an issue. The services detect many connections from the same range of IP addresses. This way it is as if you where at home. Oh, and no cost after you have fitted the router. Just don’t let people share it both from speed and detectability reasons but mainly security.
Well I for one didn't know about that tip, thanks.
By the way, how does one install a VPN on a router. I can understand how to do it on a phone or tablet, but a router ?
I have a Netgear Nighthawk M1

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Well I for one didn't know about that tip, thanks.
By the way, how does one install a VPN on a router. I can understand how to do it on a phone or tablet, but a router ?
I have a Netgear Nighthawk M1

Link doesn’t explicitly mention “m1”. 🤔
Hope it has general help tho (y)

OP
OP
Vennwood
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
We use ours a lot especially on winter trips here in Morocco again ( 10 years ago Pete, its changed a lot) I watched F1 on c4 Monday with a VPN, but usually manage to use our UK data packages in Europe. Its much better than satelite because we watch what, when and where we want. Satelite these days even struggles with Spain.
Crikey - 10 years ago - doesn't time fly. The Oyster dish is not a lot of use these days so fire stick and wifi router and sim card looks the way to go given that we don't stream movies (use the DVD player instead) Trust you are keeping fit and well?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you are using a tv with wifi, you can mirror directly to that from a phone on the same network. It is in the firestick settings. So anything on your phone can be viewed on the tv. Even using a mifi for the network it works
Except for Skygo which will not allow mirroring from a phone or tablet. It will allow connection to a tv from a laptop running Skygo though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Except for Skygo which will not allow mirroring from a phone or tablet. It will allow connection to a tv from a laptop running Skygo though.
That interested me so looked up how to do it

How To Cast Sky Go On Firestick Using Android

Android

Using ScreenMirror App

1. Download this app below to your phone.
  2. Connect your Firestick and phone to the same Wifi network.
  3. Now open the application and click on Select TV
  4. Then click on the three dots in the upper right corner and click on Enable Wireless Display.
  5. You will now be shown the Firestick device.
  6. Tap it.
  7. Your phone screen is now reflected in the Firestick.
  8. Now when you download and use the Sky go app, it will be displayed on the TV screen.

Using Android

• First, connect your Android device and Firestick device to the same Wifi network.
  • Then open the Notifications menu.
  • Select the Casting feature. This varies by phone model. Below are such names.
(Samsung – Smart View, Quick Connect, SmartShare, AllShare Cast, Wireless Display, Display mirroring, HTC Connect, Screencasting, Cast)

• Tap on the Casting feature. Shows you a list of devices or items.
  • Select the Firestick device and tap on it.
  • Now the screen of your Android device will start mirroring to Firestick.
  • Then download and use the Sky Go app on your phone.
  • Sky go is then displayed on the TV screen connected to the Firestick.

How To Cast Sky Go On Firestick Using iPhone

Iphone

1. Connect your iPhone and Firestick device to the same Wifi router.
  2. Now activate the Firestick device and go to Find / Search on the Firestick device.
  3. Then type AirScreen.
  4. Then select and install the AirScreen App from the resulting result.
  5. Now go to Firestick Home and open the AirScreen app.
  6. AirScreen will take you to the home screen showing the current Wi-Fi connection.
  7. Now go to your iPhone and open the Control Center on the iPhone.
  8. Long press on the screen mirror icon there.
  9. It will show your Firestick device. Click on it. Then in a few seconds, your screen will be displayed on the firestick.
  10. Now you can download and use the Sky Go app

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back