Alsace and Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We're on tour, tootling down to Switzerland at the moment and then afterwards we'll head to Alsace. We had a pleasant couple of hours in Saint-Quentin yesterday. The aire has 10 pitches and none free but there's room for about 3 vehicles outside so we parked up there.

We wanted to visit Vitry-le-François idea was to fuel and shop at le clerc but it had height barriers 3.1 metres the signs said but some barriers were at different heights so anyway we didn't chance it.

We're now at a 58 pitch CCP aire at Lac du Der-Chantecoq which is the largest artificial lake in France.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We're looking forward to Alsace after Switzerland.

Our current aire has lost its Charmes because it's pouring. I did have a quick look at the town last night in the dry which is ok, the quiet aire is on the water and there are hikes and cycle routes, also Charmes has a railway station and connects to Nancy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We are going to Alsace & Jura in Sept, so I will follow you and see where you end up!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Lovely area. Recommend Colmar as a town and well worth stopping off at the Ossuary in Verdun for some WW1 history on the way through. Very sobering.

Also,

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We're now at a 58 pitch CCP aire at Lac du Der-Chantecoq which is the largest artificial lake in France.

We were there last year for 3 nights at different locations and cycled around the Lac. There are free park up areas dotted around - mainly on the shore opposite the Station Nautique.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We have been in Colmar for 3 days, on Wednesday there was a Mexican (I think) food van, it looked nice but we'd already made plans.

Colmar old quarter is endlessly interesting, for example the cathedral square (lovely RUC bookshop there) but we move on tomorrow, not sure where yet.

The electric old quarter train is a real bone shaker, my back was fragile even before I got on it.

Colmar has bus as well as train links to other places. For getting to the old quarter from the aire say 1km, there's a no. 1 bus just outside the aire, get a 10 ticket carnet from the TRACE bus company office not far from the TIC in town centre.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
From what I've briefly read, it's better as a CCP. But it's arranged as a long strip and all the liquid services and the rubbish is at one end and outside the barrier, so a faff.

We've spent the day in Eguisheim which is very picturesque. The aire's expensive at 20ish euros (you can pay less for 4 hours but I do not think you can 'do' the town that quickly!) but the aire is quite nice and about <1km from the town centre. I chose Eguisheim because it's in one of Alan Russell's books Most beautiful villages and towns in France by motorhome.

Try the flammekueche which is a sort of delicate pizza

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lovely area. Recommend Colmar as a town and well worth stopping off at the Ossuary in Verdun for some WW1 history on the way through. Very sobering.

Also,

+1 for Colmar

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We're in Kaysersberg at the moment, a very good spot for cycling and quite a scenic old quarter. I'm thinking of popping up to Strasbourg and then starting the 7 day tour of southern Alsace from the 50 motorhome tours book by A Russell.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
So we're now at the aire in Kehl and tomorrow we will walk up to the Tourist Office and then get the tram into Strasbourg.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
So we're now at the aire in Kehl and tomorrow we will walk up to the Tourist Office and then get the tram into Strasbourg.
That’s a good place to stop, the tennis place just over the road have a nice restaurant 😋😋
Kehl itself is worth a walk around but Strasbourg is a place we will return to as 1 day is not enough there.
We went in summer and they have a land train that does a good tour out to the German built part, some lovely buildings there.
The pups liked it😁😁
1712740312994.jpeg

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Yes I agree 1 day not enough and we will be back. I quite like the little I've seen of Kehl too and as I see it has a hauptbahnhof I'm interested where one could go.

For anyone who likes cheese I recommend Felix's cheese shop in rue des Frères (just near where you get off the tram from Kehl) :

Le Goût du Terroir​

We had a taste of his nettle cheese which actually is very nice.

Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Yes that's the one. Another CCP that I wanted to try was at Andlau. Our satnav said we'd arrived but we saw no sign of the aire and ended up driving up the hill right through the town on small road with overhangs. After much faffing and asking a local I walked to the aire. I never did figure out how to get to it by road! Why no signposting. So anyway we gave up on A and went to Dambach which is nice, grassy with views about 2k walk from the centre-ville. I did a hike and bike ride there.
We left today and have now settled in at Ribeauvillé, q nice aire less than 1k from centre.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
One thing to watch for with CCP, I didn't use them for quite a while and the next time I wanted to I found my credit with them had disappeared and my balance was zero. I queried this and they restored my balance. I wonder what would happen if I'd not queried.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back