All getting a little bit silly... (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Ok foolish thought number one. I'm intending to get back into Germany for a couple of weeks touring in September or at least I was until all this French Amber Plus nonsense reared it's head. Its all getting a bit 'Monty Python'. Moving clothes to the lower peg, if you're getting your haircut etc etc
So the civil servants in the Dept of Transport are saying that if you have visited France in the 10 days prior to your return to the UK then you must present a PCR test result taken within the previous 48 hours. You then have to have ordered your 2 and 8 day testing kit from a company attached to Le Shuttle and prove you've pre-ordered them.

BUT

What if you leave Germany in the morning, travel non-stop through France and stop only at the Tunnel terminal (on the UK holding side). If you haven't set foot in France why are you forced to go through all that nonsense?? If you fly from Germany to the UK (over France) then that's OK..

Its all getting a bit of a pain in the ...neck

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
What if you leave Germany in the morning, travel non-stop through France and stop only at the Tunnel terminal (on the UK holding side). If you haven't set foot in France why are you forced to go through all that nonsense?? If you fly from Germany to the UK (over France) then that's OK..
That’s exactly what we did last year. If it worked them I think it should now.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You are NOT allowed to ‘transit’ France this time. We looked into it before leaving yesterday. Last time ok, but not this time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But even THAT travels non-stop THROUGH France.
Yes but you get on in BELGIUM & off In London. The side stepping route used last year by driving through France has been stopped. If you have been IN france even without getting out you have to quarantine.
I assume they got fed up woth the loophole

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Ok foolish thought number one. I'm intending to get back into Germany for a couple of weeks touring in September or at least I was until all this French Amber Plus nonsense reared it's head. Its all getting a bit 'Monty Python'. Moving clothes to the lower peg, if you're getting your haircut etc etc
So the civil servants in the Dept of Transport are saying that if you have visited France in the 10 days prior to your return to the UK then you must present a PCR test result taken within the previous 48 hours. You then have to have ordered your 2 and 8 day testing kit from a company attached to Le Shuttle and prove you've pre-ordered them.
You also have to self isolate for 10 days, but nothing has changed as return from France has been like this for quite a while now, the only thing that has changed is with return from other countries not requiring 10 days isolating if you are double jabbed

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Its garbage! Its no more than 34 miles from Calais to the Belgian border. I'm going to write to my MP in the morning

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Its garbage! Its no more than 34 miles from Calais to the Belgian border. I'm going to write to my MP in the morning
You are missing the point entirely. You say you are going to cross France non-stop but how do the authorities know this is what you have done without looking at phone records or say receipts, all of which could be faked?

The Eurostar passenger has a ticket in their name saying when they boarded in Belgium.

If they start manning all the frontier posts in the countries you are transiting and get your passport stamped your scheme might fly - but they haven't and it won't.

Have a look at crossings to Belgium or the Netherlands instead but don't hold your breath. Cases in this country are expected to increase markedly by September and you may not be allowed to cross into mainland Europe as no one will want us.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Travel with Stena
Harwich/Hook of Holland - always our preferred route to Germany in any case.

Get the overnight one and you can be in Dusseldorf for a late breakfast.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
You are missing the point entirely. You say you are going to cross France non-stop but how do the authorities know this is what you have done without looking at phone records or say receipts, all of which could be faked?

The Eurostar passenger has a ticket in their name saying when they boarded in Belgium.

If they start manning all the frontier posts in the countries you are transiting and get your passport stamped your scheme might fly - but they haven't and it won't.

Have a look at crossings to Belgium or the Netherlands instead but don't hold your breath. Cases in this country are expected to increase markedly by September and you may not be allowed to cross into mainland Europe as no one will want us.
It didn't seem to be a problem for the Authorities last year when I had to transit Luxembourg , Belgium & France non-stop last year because they were all on the naughty step, but Germany wasn't. I can't see this time its any different, in fact its only a 34 mile stretch of non-stop motorway in one country that is the problem. Its bureaucratic BS.

As for the NHS tests not being 'good enough' is another profiteering racket that needs looking at. I'll bet they use NHS tests for testing their staff every day.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
This is how silly things can be…….

On Saturday (if The Netherlands don’t go into the Red group🤞) my son is flying in to Bristol. He’ll have had the PCR done in The Netherlands that covers you for 72 hours.

I’m meeting him in the carpark to hand over is newly purchased car, which he is driving straight back to The Netherlands via the Tunnel (All booked).

He will only be in the country for several hours, but he’s still had to book his day two tests etc in order to comply with travel rules.🤷‍♂️

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Playing devil"s advocate. Could I fly to Belgium, visit a friend in Lille and fly back from Belgium?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is how silly things can be…….

On Saturday (if The Netherlands don’t go into the Red group🤞) my son is flying in to Bristol. He’ll have had the PCR done in The Netherlands that covers you for 72 hours.

I’m meeting him in the carpark to hand over is newly purchased car, which he is driving straight back to The Netherlands via the Tunnel (All booked).

He will only be in the country for several hours, but he’s still had to book his day two tests etc in order to comply with travel rules.🤷‍♂️
Yes,all nonsense. Don't forget to reclaim the cost as not required
Playing devil"s advocate. Could I fly to Belgium, visit a friend in Lille and fly back from Belgium?
Only if uou can answer the question "I have not been in france in last 10 day's "

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Still.. I expect it will all change again next week.

I'm sure the European continent is looking 'Petri Dish UK' and will soon bar anyone coming into any country.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Bit more pricey I would image tho?

The Harwich/Hook of Holland route is not as much as you would expect when you take the extra fuel and driving hours from Calais into account.

For us we found we could work normally on a Friday, catch the overnight ferry, and be in Germany for breakfast, and you could be in Berlin in time for Saturday night.

That is not possible from Calais.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The Harwich/Hook of Holland route is not as much as you would expect when you take the extra fuel and driving hours from Calais into account.

For us we found we could work normally on a Friday, catch the overnight ferry, and be in Germany for breakfast, and you could be in Berlin in time for Saturday night.

That is not possible from Calais.
If you do the daytime crossing, then find a park up not far from Hoek, it can work out to be a cheaper option……especially if travelling from The North.

We used to use Harwich to Hoek regularly in the car. Sometimes overnight out, then the afternoon for return. Travelling for those sailings made our drive from Somerset easy.(y)

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
If you do the daytime crossing, then find a park up not far from Hoek, it can work out to be a cheaper option……especially if travelling from The North.

We used to use Harwich to Hoek regularly in the car. Sometimes overnight out, then the afternoon for return. Travelling for those sailings made our drive from Somerset easy.(y)
Slight problem.. Holland ain't letting anyone in

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
He lives / works there…..so he’s fine. Flying Amsterdam to Bristol, booked on the Tunnel later in the day to drive back.

He’s done all the ‘hoop jumping’ to ensure he is safe to travel both ways.

Sorry, just re-read….I know that, I was talking about future travel. (y)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

In that case I bet you can get excellent rates right now!
The good thing is Stena let you move the booking as many times as you like

(We booked in 2019 for a April 2020 crossing, which due to the ongoing pandemic has been moved on, and on again, and again and again, and is now booked for 2022, at the 2019 rates)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back