Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are in Almeria at the moment heading for Malaga but want to visit the Alhambra in Granada, I know you have to book tickets in advance but where have any of you stayed to see it?. I have booked a stay at Runcorn Victoria for 2 nights from tomorrow,can you get to see it from there.?

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We were told we'd have to book a week in advance. Went to Alhambra early in the morning parked up and just paid at the gate. If you get there when the gates open you shouldn't have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We met folk the other day that couldn't get in and were told they needed to book at least 3 weeks in advance!! :(

Apparently the system changed last year, or some such...

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We were told we'd have to book a week in advance. Went to Alhambra early in the morning parked up and just paid at the gate. If you get there when the gates open you shouldn't have a problem.
You can get into the gardens and minor buildings this way but you have to pre-book a time slot for the main palace

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If your trying to book in advance don't panic if it says there are no tickets available,they release more tickets closer to the date. i.e. if you look today no tickets available 1-11 Nov, but some available every day until end Oct.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's a long way from Runcorn...sorry, couldn't resist. Google maps says it's about an hour and a half drive from Rincon, so in a motorhome maybe nearer 2 hours. Then you need to find parking. Maybe there's a bus or train?

We've stopped in 2 sites nearer Granada, one at Beas and one at Guejar Sierra. In both cases the bus stopped right outside the campsite and took you into the centre about a 10 minute walk from the Alhambra.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We stopped at the site on the south side of Granada, bought tickets from the site the night before. The sites have access direct to Alhambra booking system.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We stopped at the site on the south side of Granada, bought tickets from the site the night before. The sites have access direct to Alhambra booking system.
Thanks Lenny. Can you tell me the name of the site please? There is a think a train from Motril but I can't see a site there to leave the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny. Can you tell me the name of the site please? There is a think a train from Motril but I can't see a site there to leave the van.
Screenshot_20181025-122428.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You could consider treating yourself. We once stayed in Hotel America right in the grounds. No parking though. There is also a Parador in the grounds.

Because you're worth it.

We once stayed in a campsite right in the middle of Granada next to the railway station. Not the best of sites but very convenient.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
As per Lenny HB's post, I stayed on Reina Isabel earlier this year and booked ticket through site for following day. Bus stop outside the site takes you into Granada, getting off just before the river bridge. Change there for bus to Alhambra.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We stayed at:
Suspiro del Moro Cat2 Granada
Camper Contact No 57768
Phone +34958555411
They are just off the A44 and will arrange tickets for Alhambra for you.
Coordinates are:
N37.068450 W3.652070
or
N37º4'6" W3º39'7"

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Stayed on Reina a couple of years ago, and booked taxi for travel, as we didn,t want to leave dog to long. No pre book tickets available, but if you arrive early, dont join masses for entry kiosk, go to rear and there are self service machines that issue daily tickets in cluding a time for main palace.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
For info, we visited this September and just had the main pass. Unfortunately, all signs and info are in Spanish only. We will visit again next year and do the guided tour to get more of a feel of how it was.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
With deep pockets, you can stay overnight in the Alhambra Parking. Camper Contact 20894. 30.55€ per day.

If you have booked timed tickets, it's probably better to park for the duration of your stay only and go elsewhere for the night. Looking at the pic of charges shown on CC, I think a 4 hour stay would be about 13€, though you pay by the minute, so don't have to pay for a whole hour block.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It is well worth seeing. You will need the best part of a day to see all of it. That means you will need to book 2 nights at a local campsite and get the bus in and back. Therefore staying at the actual parking place for motorhomes which is a couple of hundred yards from the entrance is cheaper, because it is only 30 Euros or so for 24 hours. .

We managed to book for tickets on the Thursday on the previous Sunday, which was very lucky. We arrived at the dedicated motorhome parking at about 6pm the night before and wandered down that evening to collect our booked tickets. Then we stayed the night on the parking area. Went in as soon as the gates opened in the morning. We were exhausted by about 4pm. Wandered back to the moho and drove out of the car park at about 5pm, so only paid for 24hrs. Drove to a lovely free Aire overlooking a reservoir about 20 miles towards the coast and slept like logs.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We made it to the site and it's 22€ without acsi and no electric ,I got online and had tickets for the Alhambra for sunday so it means we have to stay for 3 nights but hey ho. No rush.Thanks for the replies and the advice . Looking forward to it now very tight pitches here though.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It is well worth seeing. You will need the best part of a day to see all of it. That means you will need to book 2 nights at a local campsite and get the bus in and back. Therefore staying at the actual parking place for motorhomes which is a couple of hundred yards from the entrance is cheaper, because it is only 30 Euros or so for 24 hours. .

We managed to book for tickets on the Thursday on the previous Sunday, which was very lucky. We arrived at the dedicated motorhome parking at about 6pm the night before and wandered down that evening to collect our booked tickets. Then we stayed the night on the parking area. Went in as soon as the gates opened in the morning. We were exhausted by about 4pm. Wandered back to the moho and drove out of the car park at about 5pm, so only paid for 24hrs. Drove to a lovely free Aire overlooking a reservoir about 20 miles towards the coast and slept like logs.
Thanks Peter. Can you tell me where the reservoir is please. We'll probably do that after but I have email Runcorn Victoria to book a place and have had to delay the arrival date

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If you haven't paid for a guided tour you can rent audio guides as you go in - we'll worth it. Also, don't miss your time slot as they're strictly observed in order to keeo bottle necks down.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you haven't paid for a guided tour you can rent audio guides as you go in - we'll worth it. Also, don't miss your time slot as they're strictly observed in order to keeo bottle necks down.
Thanks. We asked at the information today and they said go early,visit the gardens first .We have the 11 am slot.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Peter. Can you tell me where the reservoir is please. We'll probably do that after but I have email Runcorn Victoria to book a place and have had to delay the arrival date
It is called Embalse de Beznar and it is CC No 54471. As I said in my previous post it is better and cheaper to stay at the dedicated motorhome and coach park 200 yards from the entrance. No booking needed and we had a nice quiet night with about 4 other motorhomes in a large car park.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back