Alarming suggestion on government website about insurance cover if no deal brexit. (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
At the risk of being accused of stoking Project Fear, after a thread on O&A Live forum , I’ve seen that the gov.uk website contains the following:

“Road traffic accidents in the EU
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EUExit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UKresidents may not receive compensation if there is no EUExit deal. This will vary from country to country”
(See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare...H4L-1usa0fMW4AnyFQbVq8Oc14JmrdxfQbFk#contents - section on Road Traffic Accidents in the EU)

I may be misunderstanding this - but the implication seems to be alarming, unless insurance companies go beyond what is suggested above. I think a phone call to Comfort is indicated - unless anyone can clarify?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We will be in the same position as drivers from the US, Australia or say Brazil. They can get cover and I'm sure we will be able to as well.

I suggest waiting until the dust settles. Contact your insurance company by all means but they may not give a definitive answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the info... I’d say that there’s no point calling your insurer. Just wait and see what happens and keep abreast of the advice given regarding travel outside the UK.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
more scaremongering
I was expecting that! It’s from the gov.uk website, which might give cause for thought, but some people seem blindly convinced there will be no problems with no deal. Can I respectfully ask that they keep out of what was an attempt to clarify a point of concern? Please?

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I was expecting that! It’s from the gov.uk website, which might give cause for thought, but some people seem blindly convinced there will be no problems with no deal. Can I respectfully ask that they keep out of what was an attempt to clarify a point of concern? Please?
But your posting a maybe not fact, yes it may give cause for thought and others are giving another pause for thought it states MAY ........ scaremongering.
You are not clarifying anything more than I am, are you?
If you want clarification then the vote said OUT not partly out.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
It makes me wonder where some of these things come from. We were going abroad long before the EU came about and it was no major problem with getting a International driving licence or insurance to cover you so why the hell should it be more difficult now when we come out.

Being outside the EU is nothing new, no need to panic we have been there before

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It makes me wonder where some of these things come from. We were going abroad long before the EU came about and it was no major problem with getting a International driving licence or insurance to cover you so why the hell should it be more difficult now when we come out.

Being outside the EU is nothing new, no need to panic we have been there before
Totally agree was traveling thruout Europe on a General Accident Ins Co green card when it was still EEC , and my ins co didnt even charge me for issuing it.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If you're worried simply stay in the UK at the end of March. Whatever actually happens, things like this will get sorted and be clear pretty quickly.

If you have to be somewhere else, get clarity from insurance company before leaving.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Totally agree was traveling thruout Europe on a General Accident Ins Co green card when it was still EEC , and my ins co didnt even charge me for issuing it.
Green card is surely irrelevant - it’s proof of minimum legal cover, ie 3rd party. Issue is more with comprehensive cover.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Let’s look at some realistic facts if we “crash out” without a deal.

Most motorhome policies include Comprehensive cover for a period of travel in Europe, the reason for asking for a Green Card is to provide proof of third party insurance in case it is need by the police over there. At the moment they accept the wording on the reverse of the Certificate of Insurance but may not after 29th March.

If you have an accident causing damage to your vehicle for which you are not at fault your insurer will pay the claim and then try and recover the cost from the negligent third party. You will have to peruse any loss of use, excess etc yourself using your legal expenses cover or legal means.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Green card is surely irrelevant - it’s proof of minimum legal cover, ie 3rd party. Issue is more with comprehensive cover.
I had comprehensive cover , the green card was as you stated , same as all the HGV on TIR work to Saudi etc .

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I assume we all need to refamiliarise ourselves with the European Accident Statement, which one has to complete (in triplicate but it's NCR) in case of an accident and give one copy of it to the other driver - he/she does the same.

We send those to our insurer and they deal with the other party's insurer and vice versa.

That's what used to happen pre EU so I'm assuming that's what we will revert to. Nobody needs to re-invent the wheel so why should it change?

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Just wait to see what happens for instance something we all had a good idea what would happen Seaborne ferries you know no ships or facilities have had their contract cancelled as their Irish backers have backed out Irish. Mmmmm

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I assume we all need to refamiliarise ourselves with the European Accident Statement, which one has to complete (in triplicate but it's NCR) in case of an accident and give one copy of it to the other driver - he/she does the same.

We send those to our insurer and they deal with the other party's insurer and vice versa.

That's what used to happen pre EU so I'm assuming that's what we will revert to. Nobody needs to re-invent the wheel so why should it change?
Been carrying one of those around with me for years.
Thankfully I’ve never had to use it............yet.

Richard.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Alarmist on the government site ,never:D
I mentioned this a day or two back on Jim's driving licence thread
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/your-driving-licence-after-a-hard-brexit.191487/
After @bobandjanie put up a link there.
Would your legal cover ,actually cover you,to fight your corner ?
Guess we'll have to wait and see .
Chasing a claim in the UK via the MIB in this country is bad enough in the event of being hit by an uninsured driver .my son's case took 18mths to resolve when some loon got loose from a secure unit .nicked a car.completely starkers .
got the guy,foreign,but unfit to be charged .
What chance when abroad.?

http://cartraveldocs.com

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You see more advice coming from the UK than from Spain, but it's just to cover there :moon2: , most expats have been running around like headless chickens , we became resident 3 years before we planned, but the only reason is we need to have a private health care, we changed our licence early because it could be we need to take a spanish driving test.:eek:
It also enabled us to change our motorhome, because we are legal, and not full timers with a holiday home in Spain, and I refused to do it, because being in the UK for an MOT and spending 6 weeks a years there :rolleyes: did not make us legal and the insurance we had was not worth the paper it was written on. :LOL:
Travel insurance was becoming more difficult as you needed to be in the UK 6 months before yet they will sell you 12 months single trip policy. :rolleyes:
So although it's cost us sooner than planned , we are 100% and glad we did it. (y)

;) But as @BreweryDave Dave and some of the chances that live here say :whistle: it ain't going to happen. :doh: But.............. We have covered our :moon2: so we are happy, and time will tell. :Eeek:
:pop: Bob and Janie.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I am sure Jose Chulvi will look after you Bob.(y):D:D

We like him, you can talk to him, you often see him in restaurants and out and about, ;) the only thing against him is riding around on a bright orange scooter. :LOL:
;) He will get my vote, :D because he likes the English. :LOL: Bob.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sweet baby jesus and the orphans. Do people really worry about things like this.
Deal or no deal, we will all go to bed on the 29 march get up in the morning and it will be just another day.

Except we won’t be European Citizens :eek: but we will still be European::bigsmile: and then the fun will start:Grin:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We drove in South Africa with no problem!
South Africa is a strange bird.
Ex partner was from Cape Town as were her parents.
Her dad, miserable sod, wouldn't let us use his Jag but gave us use of his beach buggy when we visited and all I had was my UK licence and an IDP.
Everyone who drives is insured 3rd party.
A percentage of the price of fuel goes to a gov insurance fund which ensures that.
If you want anything above 3rd party you pay for it....and you do pay for it.
I did get a ticket for no road tax though.... Two years back duty and a fine.... 125 rand.
In real money, £25. (ex rate then 5rand to £1)

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
And how about all the continental European vans that come to the UK? I think this isn't going to be a problem...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And how about all the continental European vans that come to the UK? I think this isn't going to be a problem...
I think it's already been decided no change for them coming here.
Spineless beaurocrats haven't the bottle to lay down any rules either way.
No visa, no IDP and probably no time limit.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Alarmist on the government site ,never:D
I mentioned this a day or two back on Jim's driving licence thread
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/your-driving-licence-after-a-hard-brexit.191487/
After @bobandjanie put up a link there.
Would your legal cover ,actually cover you,to fight your corner ?
Guess we'll have to wait and see .
Chasing a claim in the UK via the MIB in this country is bad enough in the event of being hit by an uninsured driver .my son's case took 18mths to resolve when some loon got loose from a secure unit .nicked a car.completely starkers .
got the guy,foreign,but unfit to be charged .
What chance when abroad.?

http://cartraveldocs.com
My insurance quickly recovered my excess back from the German who wrote my motorhome off in Germany..BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No chance of anyone in government having a clue.Just ensuring they have covered themselves.

He will get my vote, :D because he likes the English. :LOL: Bob.
Regardless of no deal or a transition period the Spanish parliament have said you will not be able to vote in local or EU elections. Nor will you be able to use any EU services any more.
No visa, no IDP and probably no time limit.
There are limits.6months for the vehicle but at the moment rendered illegal to drive after I have been in UK for 90 consecutive days. They always tell me at dover when I am pulled.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
South Africa is a strange bird.
Ex partner was from Cape Town as were her parents.
Her dad, miserable sod, wouldn't let us use his Jag but gave us use of his beach buggy when we visited and all I had was my UK licence and an IDP.
Everyone who drives is insured 3rd party.
A percentage of the price of fuel goes to a gov insurance fund which ensures that.
If you want anything above 3rd party you pay for it....and you do pay for it.
I did get a ticket for no road tax though.... Two years back duty and a fine.... 125 rand.
In real money, £25. (ex rate then 5rand to £1)

Our insurance out there (lived in Cape Town for 5 years) was very reasonable. Being good law abiding citizens we didn’t get any fines!! Rand is about 18 to the pound now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back