Air suspension (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have sold our Autotrail Comanche and are now waiting for our new Etrusco, on a Ford chassis, to be delivered. Seven months and counting so far. I am thinking of fitting air suspension and my question is, has anyone fitted it to a new Trannie chassis yet, and if so, which one and was it worth it? I am also going to uprate the weight from 3.5t to whatever the maximum is.

I am sure someone on here will have done it but can't find it in the threads.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not on a Tranny but a Fiat Ducato, got full VB air fitted at A&E Leisure a couple of weeks ago. Smooths out our atrocious roads pretty good, plus it can be used to level the van. Their prices are very competitive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Don't think I've ever seen anyone mention full air on a Trannie on the Forum.
We have Goldscmitt full air on our Ducato based Hymer. Wouldn't have a van without full air now.
When you say full air, is that replacing springs/torsion bars on the rear axle, or air on front and rear axles ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got VB full air on a Ducato chassis'd a-class. Going around the roads of North Norfolk last couple of weeks made me appreciate how much of a difference it makes. I still getting rattle and shudder on the bigger imperfections, but it's mostly noise rather than feel. The ride is pretty smooth.

In the week, I got a lift from a family member to Kings Lynn in their Skoda Karoq, a mid size SUV that's not particularly sporty. Although it was quieter, it was way more jiggly and rough than in my van.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I've got VB full air on a Ducato chassis'd a-class. Going around the roads of North Norfolk last couple of weeks made me appreciate how much of a difference it makes. I still getting rattle and shudder on the bigger imperfections, but it's mostly noise rather than feel. The ride is pretty smooth.

In the week, I got a lift from a family member to Kings Lynn in their Skoda Karoq, a mid size SUV that's not particularly sporty. Although it was quieter, it was way more jiggly and rough than in my van.
Same question to you as to Lenny HB. Is your definition of full air to replace springs/torsion bars on the rear, or all axles with full air ?
The A& E Leisure site quotes VB Suspension as Full Air Rear and Full Air Front, not Complete Full Air.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Same question to you as to Lenny HB. Is your definition of full air to replace springs/torsion bars on the rear, or all axles with full air ?
The A& E Leisure site quotes VB Suspension as Full Air Rear and Full Air Front, not Complete Full Air.
I no longer have leaf springs at the rear or conventional sprung struts at the front. It's all air bags. VB 4C system. £8k!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When you say full air, is that replacing springs/torsion bars on the rear axle, or air on front and rear axles ?
Yep, Front struts replaced with airbags, on the rear torsion bars replaced with lightweight ones they are needed to locate the swinging arm & airbags fitter.
Normally referred to as Full 4C air (4 corners).

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yep, Front struts replaced with airbags, on the rear torsion bars replaced with lightweight ones they are needed to locate the swinging arm & airbags fitter.
Thank you for the info. I’ll be looking into getting our new MH done when it eventually arrives

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thank you for the info. I’ll be looking into getting our new MH done when it eventually arrives
Yep we will to when the new van arrives, unfortunately I can't transfer the Goldschmitt as Carthago don't approve it, probably because it's a Hymer company.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yep we will to when the new van arrives, unfortunately I can't transfer the Goldschmitt as Carthago don't approve it, probably because it's a Hymer company.
Our new MH is an Etrusco, also a Hymer company, so I will have to see if it can be done.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have vb air on my Frankia with ep levelling
Very good but a pain in the arce waiting for air to go before levelling will start.
My Volvo air is almost instant

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have vb air on my Frankia with ep levelling
Very good but a pain in the arce waiting for air to go before levelling will start.
My Volvo air is almost instant
Have you ever had the software updated. When my full air and leveling was first fitted it took time to wait for yhe suspension to drop before leveling started. After the update it was a lot better. Mick at SAP knows everything a person can know about the air and leveling.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have you ever had the software updated. When my full air and leveling was first fitted it took time to wait for yhe suspension to drop before leveling started. After the update it was a lot better. Mick at SAP knows everything a person can know about the air and leveling.
No haven’t had an update,but when back from holidays will get it looked at, thanks for the advice

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve had goldschmitt air on the rear 20+ years and on my hymer before for 7 cant imagine been without it heavy duty front springs and a large anti roll bar handles like a Quattro oh and wheel spacers+a large fuel tank135 Ltires ,they don’t do front air for the old model such a shame.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I've sent off enquiries to see if I could have full (all four corners) air suspension fitted.
SAP say only on the rear with VB, and I'm waiting for a reply re Goldschmitt.
I'll update when I have an answer.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Time for an update.

I've had a reply from RV Installations re full air suspension for a Transit base, which is as follows :

Goldschmitt only offer rear semi air for this vehicle. VB offer a 2 channel full air system for the rear axle, but currently neither company are producing a front strut to allow a 4 channel system.

So it would appear at the moment that it's a no to full air for the Transit base.
Unless anyone knows different of course.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
bigtree , Mike at SAP seems to be the most recommended on here, what was your experience with A&E Leisure like. They seem to be a little cheaper as well unless they leave some bits off.
From what I can see, Emergency inflation in case of compressor or electronic failure is an option that SAP include. Any suggestions from anybody as to what spec to look for.
I was going to look at Goldschmit like Lenny HB has but Germany or Belgium seems a long way if there is a problem. For us SAP is 2 hours away, A&E 1.5 hours and Sporttec just over an hour. So not a great difference, but the best job and support is the most important. Thanks for any feedback.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I went to A&E Leisure to have my VB 4C Full Air fitted. They generally did a good job. But I have had a couple of issues. It rides lower than I'd like (which may might not be able to be helped), the waste tank had to be moved and now it doesn't drain as well, and the water level sensors (which use an odd digital signal) is now flakey. My main issue though is that they've positioned the ride height sensor where it squashes a pipe for the air heating. I think it interferes with the leveling on that corner when it's squatted down.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Did they fit the spacers on the rear which raises it 20mm?
I don't know. But the front is lower than before and the rear is much lower. It used to have a lot of rake, so having it almost flat all the time is convenient. Except it's low enough to scrape it's belly on speed humps. I'm not sure where that default position is in its range of travel. The ride comfort is much better than the standard Fiat springs, but it can tend to nod the front a bit like it's under damped.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
bigtree , Mike at SAP seems to be the most recommended on here, what was your experience with A&E Leisure like. They seem to be a little cheaper as well unless they leave some bits off.
From what I can see, Emergency inflation in case of compressor or electronic failure is an option that SAP include. Any suggestions from anybody as to what spec to look for.
I was going to look at Goldschmit like Lenny HB has but Germany or Belgium seems a long way if there is a problem. For us SAP is 2 hours away, A&E 1.5 hours and Sporttec just over an hour. So not a great difference, but the best job and support is the most important. Thanks for any feedback.
Hi,
I got the full package at A&E Leisure that included the self levelling and emergency inflation for £8300 as against £9000 at SAP. The difference covered the new alloys plus a tyre and a bit. 😜
They stated 3 days to do the job but had it finished in 2, they always cover themselves in case of problems arising but our van being almost new it was easier. Very friendly family owned business and gave us good discount on other items we bought. They book you in the night before at a local campsite free as part of the install. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi,
I got the full package at A&E Leisure that included the self levelling and emergency inflation for £8300 as against £9000 at SAP. The difference covered the new alloys plus a tyre and a bit. 😜
They stated 3 days to do the job but had it finished in 2, they always cover themselves in case of problems arising but our van being almost new it was easier. Very friendly family owned business and gave us good discount on other items we bought. They book you in the night before at a local campsite free as part of the install. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, sounds like you are pretty happy with A&E, I must admit that I was a bit concerned by the Guigsy reply above as I really do not want it any lower but want to be able to level a bit when on a slope to avoid levellers. At the show yesterday they said about 750 to 100 mm movement which is about the height of our old yellow Fiama levellers. And when he said that they moved his waste tank that set alarm bells ringing with me.
Did you have the standard alloys before or uprated from steel rims? I have been told that with the VB system fitted I should be able to uprate the van from 4.5 to nearly 5 tonne if I fit 12 ply tyres but not sure about the original fitting Hymer alloys I have on the Hymer on the maxi Ducato chassis.
I also am actually not clear where they can fit the compressor and air tank on mine as I have the double floor and really don't want to lose that storage. Where are yours fitted?
It's a large outlay so I had better phone SAP & A&E next week to find out what their suggestions are. My Hymer is 2012.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
but not sure about the original fitting Hymer alloys I have on the Hymer on the maxi Ducato chassis.
The standard Fiat alloys are 1250kg I don't know what the Hymer ones are you would have to ask Hymer.
I also am actually not clear where they can fit the compressor and air tank on mine as I have the double floor and really don't want to lose that storage.
It will fit underneath between the chassis legs, it's not very big nothing will be fitted inside.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My van is 6m Fiat chassis with no double floor. So the underside is pretty busy. They slightly moved and notched the waste tank to allow the new suspension members free movement. The compressor is hidden in an internal cavity, but the small tank is external and forward of the exhaust with a shield.

It's low, but to be fair, I've only kissed a couple of speedhumps. It was always low, but now it's a bit lower. It does still have a fair range of movement to adjust for slope. It seems to prioritise front-back slope more than side slope though. So we have once still used a single ramp. I've also used it on a very gnarly and steep sheep track across a private field in the Lake District in raised off-road mode and it was fine.

I don't regret getting it as it makes driving more comfortable. Most if the time we don't need ramps when previously we'd use them about half the time.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The standard Fiat alloys are 1250kg I don't know what the Hymer ones are you would have to ask Hymer.

It will fit underneath between the chassis legs, it's not very big nothing will be fitted inside.
I have a spare that is also alloy so it may have it stamped on the inside of the rim, job for a fine day as I have to empty the garage to get to it.
The only chassis space is behind the rear wheels so even more important to uprate it as with the scooter on I am at the limit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back