Air suspension (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I inflate mine with a bicycle pump. I have only had to put three strokes of the pump in over 12 months. Absolutely no need for a compressor.
I originally had mine fitted without a pump but found it all a bit of a faff so took it back to have the compressor fitted

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Im booked in with Rhino installs to have it done in May, im having it with compressor and gauges plus independent left/right inflation. Cost is £1400 fitted. Not sure if there is a discount though for MHF ? I hope it makes a difference after spending that :giggle:
Wow, that seems way over the top, try DAVE Newell in Telford, he’s recommended by many Motorhomers.

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
I had semi air fitted on my last van but the professional installer failed to mention the fact that it would leave the rear much higher than stock , thus resulting in the headlights pointing at the ground.
It definitely didn’t improve the ride either.
I think the kit was VB
Possibly not fitted/inflated properly .
Many kits come with 1 gauge and a 'T' piece so that the 2 air bags are connected together. This will, if anything, make roll on corners worse. Best if they are isolated from each other.
What pressure do you run at? Have you tried changing it? (I mainly run at 30psi but higher in high winds)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Well I’ve found someone to fit them for me, I just don’t think I‘ll have the necessary lifting gear to do it myself although I’m defo capable of doing the job. Just need to find a kit that has two gauges now….. Anyone bought one recently and who/where from?

Cheers!

Russ

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I keep meaning to say to the OP that I hope you don’t mind me hijacking your post!!!

Sorree!

Russ

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well I’ve found someone to fit them for me, I just don’t think I‘ll have the necessary lifting gear to do it myself although I’m defo capable of doing the job. Just need to find a kit that has two gauges now….. Anyone bought one recently and who/where from?

Cheers!

Russ
This is what I fitted

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp

Cheers!

Russ
No lifting gear required. Only thing you might need is a jack to lift the suspension an inch or 2 to allow the bump stops to be unscrewed fully. Speak to the seller about getting an extra gauge.

Jun 7, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2016

Cheers!

Russ
We had SAP Doncaster fit ours a couple of weeks ago… VB Semi Air as discussed with twin gauges. For us it was a solution to the much discussed Payload issue but on the way home on the M1 the crosswind was a little brisk and I swear the new air bags made a difference!

Something that I hadn’t considered before talking to Mick was where they were going to fit the little air compressor… Mick fits it under the front drivers door step - out of sight and elements. Apparently not all do this - might be worth checking with your installer

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
My air suspension kit fitted myself has been fitted a few weeks now and I have been driving about in fact am driving about.

I so far have found the they have made the ride not so bouncy and cornering seems a lot more positive.

when we park up on a pitch getting in and out of the Moho seems so much more a solid step.
not heaving from one side to the other
so in that respect it is again is a lot more stable .
so For the total cost of £202. For us it’s worth every penny and also now gives
our rear axel a rating of 2000 kg.

so for us a win all round.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Ok this is the kit I'm going for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26475631...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 It has everything in it to give me a system that will suspend either side independently, it contains a compressor, gauges, wiring, pipework, fittings, brackets and the airbags and comes in at a reasonable (ish!) £425 delivered. I spoke to the proprietor who was EXTREMELY helpful (MarTech Air Suspension Systems 07715129997) and he recommended two systems if I wanted to have independent airbags, the one I'm going for, and this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26518316...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 which doesn't have the compressor or the wiring loom but is much cheaper at £339 delivered. I'm ordering it today and it should be with me by Tuesday 29th March. I'll take the kit and the MoHo to see the fitter, probably Tuesday pm or Wednesday am and get back to you all with some before and after pics.

Cheers!

Russ

Cornish Crew

Free Member
Nov 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2013
Sonar, Be a bit careful, cheapest is rarely best value !

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
My air suspension kit fitted myself has been fitted a few weeks now and I have been driving about in fact am driving about.

I so far have found the they have made the ride not so bouncy and cornering seems a lot more positive.
Are the bags isolated, side to side?

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Ayers Rock
Exp
Since 2008
We've got the Dunlop system fitted, with the compressor, and find it useful to be able to have different pressures on each side when on site, to assist levelling the van. We put the system on a new van so haven't had the benefit of being able to compare before and after in terms of ride quality but have concluded that the pressures are better left relatively low (between 2 and 2.5 bar) as the higher pressures do increase the rear ride height quite a bit for no discernible improvement in ride quality.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Are the bags isolated, side to side?
There fitted as recommended and the local garage also checked them before I took photos and sent off to sv tech.
just in case I made an error.

Nov 4, 2021
Barton-upon-Humber, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
We had ours fitted by Glide Rite with a digital guage
CC079955-C505-40FE-A46D-7A4F4DCA1489.jpeg

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
There fitted as recommended and the local garage also checked them before I took photos and sent off to sv tech.
just in case I made an error.
As it was one of the cheaper kits I just wondered what you got for your money. I guess from your response perhaps they are not isolated side to side which will be reflected in the price of the kit.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Ok this is the kit I'm going for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26475631...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 It has everything in it to give me a system that will suspend either side independently, it contains a compressor, gauges, wiring, pipework, fittings, brackets and the airbags and comes in at a reasonable (ish!) £425 delivered. I spoke to the proprietor who was EXTREMELY helpful (MarTech Air Suspension Systems 07715129997) and he recommended two systems if I wanted to have independent airbags, the one I'm going for, and this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26518316...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 which doesn't have the compressor or the wiring loom but is much cheaper at £339 delivered. I'm ordering it today and it should be with me by Tuesday 29th March. I'll take the kit and the MoHo to see the fitter, probably Tuesday pm or Wednesday am and get back to you all with some before and after pics.

Cheers!

Russ
Ok the kit turned up today, I was expecting it to be super heavy, but it weighs around 3KG so probably about the same as the bumpstops it's replacing. I'm taking it to the fitter on Thursday morning, so should be boxed off by Thursday night..... I hope!!

Cheers!

Russ

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
When I actually weighed it it was around 6-7 kg!! Anyway it's fitted now, cost me £190. The fitter had a staggering amount of the driver's side door step furniture and dashboard removed but it's all back in place now. We had a minor leak on the union of a one way valve, so more trim removal to fix it, but now it's up and running. Man it's a revelation! No more crashing pots n pans and squeaking wooden joints & junctions, and sooo smooth! It really is like a magic carpet! I run each side around 2.5bar and the ride has been transformed.

We are at Cartmel near the Mason's Arms on Strawberry Bank at the moment and our friends' front path is quite uneven, so I jacked up one side more than the other, one side is 3 bar and the other is about 4.75, the difference is about 4-5 inches, and it's stayed beautifully level for 2 nights now. All in all I'm really pleased with it. And a special mention to the vendor of the kit, I rang at 6pm on Tuesday night to leave a message and the guy answered the phone, we discussed the issue and he sent a hand drawn solution about 15 mins later by whatsapp, excellent!

I highly recommend this system.

Cheers!

Russ

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016

when we park up on a pitch getting in and out of the Moho seems so much more a solid step.
not heaving from one side to the other
so in that respect it is again is a lot more stable .
so For the total cost of £202. For us it’s worth every penny and also now gives
our rear axel a rating of 2000 kg.

so for us a win all round.
Hi Sonar was it this set you fitted?
Looking to fit airbags and just need a simple system.
Cheers
Kenny.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hi Sonar was it this set you fitted?
Looking to fit airbags and just need a simple system.
Cheers
Kenny.
Yes it was.
but my kit included the high pressure inflation pump. 12 volt.

For more information on fitting this system take a look on YouTube.

I found them easy to fit once you get the u bolts undone . That was the hardest bit.

I found a long length of metal tube that
went over the socket handle so undoing the nuts from the ubolts for me was easy.
sprayed some releasing fluid on all the nuts the day before..

the fidgety bit was fitting the bolts in the top after the top plate was fitted .
not putting the bolts in but trying to locate the bolt holes.

I did fit the valve and the hose. Before fitting as it was easier to do the tube connectors Then take the cable allowing a bit for bends ect to just over halve way across the rear chassis.
and make a single clean strait cut with a Stanley knife. Not a pair of pliers.

I had some spare 12 mm plastic water pipe left often another job and used small sections of it as wear protection both over and under any metalwork on route.

would have been an easy job but had a plaster on my broken thumb at the time so made things harder for me.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Yes it was.

I found them easy to fit once you get the u bolts undone . That was the hardest bit.

went over the socket handle so undoing the nuts from the ubolts for me was easy.

the fidgety bit was fitting the bolts in the top after the top plate was fitted .

I did fit the valve and the hose. Before fitting as it was easier to do the tube connectors Then take the cable allowing a bit for bends ect to just over halve way across the rear chassis.

I had some spare 12 mm plastic water pipe left often another job and used small sections of it as wear protection both over and under any metalwork on route.

would have been an easy job but had a plaster on my broken thumb at the time so made things harder for me.
Magic thanks for that. Yeah have watched a couple on YouTube, great advice from yourself regarding some of the issues I saw in the videos. Will definitely take it on board.
Thanks.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Yes it was.

bit of an update.

they have been on a while now and I don’t get the rock and roll on cornering also the rear end is not as bouncy either and everything feels a lot more solid.

also from the outside the rear end looks like the Moho is unloaded in fact it’s fully loaded.
so rides a little higher… very pleased with them….
you will be as well I am sure…

3F74B1EF-6415-4CA6-9237-0429B2B1FE4C.jpeg

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
bit of an update.

they have been on a while now and I don’t get the rock and roll on cornering also the rear end is not as bouncy either and everything feels a lot more solid.

also from the outside the rear end looks like the Moho is unloaded in fact it’s fully loaded.
so rides a little higher… very pleased with them….
you will be as well I am sure…

View attachment 616454
Brilliant I'm looking to uprate my pvc payload and when I sent my details to vanweight engineering they confirmed what I thought that the suspension was sitting low on the assistors. This was without a full tank of water or bikes. So its prompted me to sort the air first then uprate the payload after.
Just got the van so working through stuff we want sorted before longer trips.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Brilliant I'm looking to uprate my pvc payload and when I sent my details to vanweight engineering they confirmed what I thought that the suspension was sitting low on the assistors. This was without a full tank of water or bikes. So its prompted me to sort the air first then uprate the payload after.
Just got the van so working through stuff we want sorted before longer trips.
👍

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I had semi air fitted on my last van but the professional installer failed to mention the fact that it would leave the rear much higher than stock , thus resulting in the headlights pointing at the ground.
It definitely didn’t improve the ride either.
I think the kit was VB
I’m surprised on both counts.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I fitted the Easytop system to our previous motorhome and it was a big improvement.
Thinking about fitting the same to our current van.
Does anyone know the typical lifespan of these units?
5 years?, 10 years?
One concern I always had was that it was another thing to go wrong, most likely when a long way from home.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I fitted the Easytop system to our previous motorhome and it was a big improvement.
Thinking about fitting the same to our current van.
Does anyone know the typical lifespan of these units?
5 years?, 10 years?
One concern I always had was that it was another thing to go wrong, most likely when a long way from home.
Read somewhere 10 years .

the worst that can happen if they go flat is your back to your usual suspension as the air bags will still act as the buffer you removed .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back