Denis Stone

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, we are looking at the possibility of converting the rear suspension of our Ducato-based motorhome to what I think is called "semi air suspension", i.e. replacing the rear suspension bump stops with a pair of inflatable doughnuts on each side. AS in Warrington seem to be well regarded, but it would be much easier for us if we could find someone nearer our home - Oxfordshire/Warwickshire borders. Is anyone out there in a position to make a recommendation, please?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all, we are looking at the possibility of converting the rear suspension of our Ducato-based motorhome to what I think is called "semi air suspension", i.e. replacing the rear suspension bump stops with a pair of inflatable doughnuts on each side. AS in Warrington seem to be well regarded, but it would be much easier for us if we could find someone nearer our home - Oxfordshire/Warwickshire borders. Is anyone out there in a position to make a recommendation, please?
I havnt done it but from what I have seen of them and read, they are just a DIY job.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
I had semi air fitted on my last van but the professional installer failed to mention the fact that it would leave the rear much higher than stock , thus resulting in the headlights pointing at the ground.
It definitely didn’t improve the ride either.
I think the kit was VB

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Dave Newel at Telford. or Conrad and Anderson at Birmingham

Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
This guy will come to you. We’ve had work done and he’s very professional
give him a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
On our current van it was already fitted, the van is a lot more stable. Looking at the installation it looks very easy to fit yourself. If ever we change van will definitely fit myself

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
surprised you say that as without doubt most people, myself included, highly rate the improved ride.
Maybe it’s different on a PVC , although i blame the shock absorbers which were harsh to say the least.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Recently had some Dunlop air bags fitted . Much better than without them and only £70 fitting cost by my mechanic . Don’t be afraid to buy them online and get them fitted locally. I don’t think it’s a particularly difficult job .
The ride is much improved and cornering seems easier .
175D15B9-1BEC-4217-87D6-B7851329D1C3.jpeg
3DBE96B3-1951-4CCD-8DED-11FB0F533880.jpeg

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I installed myself. Took about 4hours taking into account planning time and doing a tidy job - and I did not have a ramp to work under so did it lying on my back under the van.

But if your not comfortable working on vehicle mechanics, then get someone else to do it.

In my case it was 2 bolts off to remove the bump stops. Then 16 bolts on to attach the air suspension units. Then run the airlines to your valve / gauge assembly.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I used Easytop system and like ShaKen above took me all of 4 hours,certainly I bought a pair of axle stands just to be on the safe side, but a real simple job to complete and we're delighted with the effect of the Easytop system. Only bump stops to be removed and very simple bolt on system to install

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Im booked in with Rhino installs to have it done in May, im having it with compressor and gauges plus independent left/right inflation. Cost is £1400 fitted. Not sure if there is a discount though for MHF ? I hope it makes a difference after spending that :giggle:

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Im booked in with Rhino installs to have it done in May, im having it with compressor and gauges plus independent left/right inflation. Cost is £1400 fitted. Not sure if there is a discount though for MHF ? I hope it makes a difference after spending that :giggle:
Seems expensive if its just fir air assist.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Shockingly expensive. Parts are over £400 but that's a mighty fitting charge

Link
Yes you have priced it minus the compressor and gauges, but still it is expensive when you consider I am being charged over £600 for fitting :(

VB SEMI AIR SUSPENSION COMFORT KIT​

£764.00
Be the first to review this product
Semi air-suspension enables the driver to adjust the suspension them self by varying the pressure in the bellows the driver is therefore able to adjust the ride height, Left and right can also be adjusted independently making it possible to compensate a slightly uneven weight distribution and level the vehicle. Optionally a compressor can be supplied. This is the most suitable solution for vehicles that are usually heavily laden and for the driver who desires to be able to vary the ride height manually.
Comfort Kit: This kit includes the Air Bellows, Hoses and Schrader Valves for inflation plus fitting instructions but comes with the added control panel displaying air pressures in each bellows and switches for inflation. All wiring and the 12v compressor is included.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Yes you have priced it minus the compressor and gauges, but still it is expensive when you consider I am being charged over £600 for fitting :(

VB SEMI AIR SUSPENSION COMFORT KIT​

£764.00
Be the first to review this product
Semi air-suspension enables the driver to adjust the suspension them self by varying the pressure in the bellows the driver is therefore able to adjust the ride height, Left and right can also be adjusted independently making it possible to compensate a slightly uneven weight distribution and level the vehicle. Optionally a compressor can be supplied. This is the most suitable solution for vehicles that are usually heavily laden and for the driver who desires to be able to vary the ride height manually.
Comfort Kit: This kit includes the Air Bellows, Hoses and Schrader Valves for inflation plus fitting instructions but comes with the added control panel displaying air pressures in each bellows and switches for inflation. All wiring and the 12v compressor is included.
especially expensive when you consider I have mine hooked up to a 12 volt car tyre compressor which cost me less than £10.00. You could probably inflate them with a bicycle pump!

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Yes probably , I have been looking into it since the thread was started and i have to say im a little surprised as he is usually quite competitive on price so i can only think it may be something to do with my MH ( fitting wise ) ? I have had work done before by Phil at Rhino installs and i find that it is always top notch and a very good after service if there is a problem but i agree he is a few hundred more than other places on this job. One thing is that i will have piece of mind when its done as i know its done properly so this time im ok with it. After all its only money :LOL:

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I too was quoted nearly 1400 for rear semi air with independent fill/guagesand compressor

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Having used my Dunlop air bags on a journey of around 120 miles round trip ,I have to say I am over the moon . The kids described the ride as “ more soft and bouncy and more comfortable than before “. For me it was the cornering with the reduced body roll that was amazing . It was night and day difference to my previous set up of Alko air bags that had failed and I am so pleased we have got them fitted .I would highly recommend the air assist suspension 👍🏻

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
I bought mine online and had them fitted for £120 plus Vat. It is only a maximum of a two hour job for a professional. When I advised my insurance company they asked if they had been fitted professionally.

The ride and stability in crosswinds or passing HGV’s were much improved after fitting. I wish I had had them fitted years ago.

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
especially expensive when you consider I have mine hooked up to a 12 volt car tyre compressor which cost me less than £10.00. You could probably inflate them with a bicycle pump!
I inflate mine with a bicycle pump. I have only had to put three strokes of the pump in over 12 months. Absolutely no need for a compressor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back