Air Suspension Bags. Any Good ? (1 Viewer)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Hello, just wondered what experience you guys may have had with the add on air suspension kits . My Autotrail Apache 700 gets badly affected by strong winds and when being passed by large vehicles and I am considering having a set of air bag type assisters fitted in the hopes that it might help.
What does the team think ? Or even recommend

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@tonka is the guy you need to chat with. I added them to my Apache 634 as part of uprating the max weight. The improvement in handling was an unexpected side effect (pardon the pun)!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I fitted them on our Miller when I up'd the plated weight.. Transformed the thing ! No more rocking when a 38 tonner came past, no more getting see sick on any S bends.. In fact nothing but positives .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Yep, they're great, but if you can fit them or not depends on your chassis - standard Fiat is more likely to be a contender than Alko. The Dunlop kits from Marcle Leisure are very good and easy enough to fit if you're a reasonable DIY'r.

Made a hell of a difference to the stability of my van when passing HGV's / being passed by coaches on the motorway. It corners a lot better as well, much less body roll.

One of the best mods I've made to the van.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yep, they're great, but if you can fit them or not depends on your chassis - standard Fiat is more likely to be a contender than Alko. The Dunlop kits from Marcle Leisure are very good and easy enough to fit if you're a reasonable DIY'r.

Made a hell of a difference to the stability of my van when passing HGV's / being passed by coaches on the motorway. It corners a lot better as well, much less body roll.

One of the best mods I've made to the van.
Getting them put on the rear of the van at @dave newell lvs on 4th April. Had them on the last van and it made a big difference

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Rear air assist transformed the ride and handling of our Autotrail tracker FB. No more rock and roll when lorries passed us.

Dave Newell fitted it and did a great job.

We had a compressor fitted but would not bother again as you do not need to change the pressures very often and the air capacity is not very large so very little effort is needed to change the ride height/pressures.

Dave also fitted Air assist to our Fiat PVC. I would not have a Fiat without it.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Best £700 we ever spent, makes so much difference, we are in high winds in Spain at the moment on a campsite, even made a difference when static

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hubby put them on our Hymer, made a big difference to handling and ride.
Wouldn’t be without it now!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Also if you’re overloaded on the rear axel you can pump it up a bit so your back is not hanging down. Not suggesting any motorhomer would overload . Haha

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had airide fitted on my 2005 Apache 700 as a requirement to get a higher weight. The ride and sway was instantly improved, I noticed it at the first roundabout. (y). The chassis before 2007 / new shape cabs are narrower than current ones.

On my 2012 Apache 700 I fitted air suspension to help raise the back end and avoid scraping on ferries etc. £259 off eBay DIY fit. Can't fault it...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely one of the best accessories you can fit to your MH, it will improve the handling and ride no end ... we certainly wouldn't have another coachbuilt without it ... and even on a PVC it would still be beneficial.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an excellent addition to your van but avoid the cheap sets with eastern european air bags. stick with dunlop or firestone bags as they are more substantial and less prone to leaking after a short period of use. the cheap ones seam to age very quickly and perish, the dunlop bags last for years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back