Air Con freon tubes (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My cab air con sprang a leak last year and I had it repaired by a mobile guy who replaced the evaporator.
All seemed ok but but it lost the freon after a few days.
He came back and found the high pressure tube had rubbed on the radiator and worn through.
The recommended repair was to cut the tube and re-join with a special compression fitting.
This was done and since then the joint has failed after a few days about 3 or 4 times now, most recently it was gassed two weeks ago and yesterday I took the van for a run, tested the AC and there's no cooling again.
I'm losing faith in this repair now and wondered if a replacement hose was a better option ?
The hose is no longer available, it's a 2003 2.8 jtd x244 ducato, but I wondered if a generic flexible hose was an option, and if anyone might know where to source one from ?
The AC guy should know of course but he hasn't suggested this so far
The original hose is part aluminium part rubber.
TIA

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My cab air con sprang a leak last year and I had it repaired by a mobile guy who replaced the evaporator.
All seemed ok but but it lost the freon after a few days.
He came back and found the high pressure tube had rubbed on the radiator and worn through.
The recommended repair was to cut the tube and re-join with a special compression fitting.
This was done and since then the joint has failed after a few days about 3 or 4 times now, most recently it was gassed two weeks ago and yesterday I took the van for a run, tested the AC and there's no cooling again.
I'm losing faith in this repair now and wondered if a replacement hose was a better option ?
The hose is no longer available, it's a 2003 2.8 jtd x244 ducato, but I wondered if a generic flexible hose was an option, and if anyone might know where to source one from ?
The AC guy should know of course but he hasn't suggested this so far
The original hose is part aluminium part rubber.
TIA
I once was called to a big office AC system that was installed with special compression fittings (🤔 vulcan lockring if I recall correctly) . The installer had left out a ring that goes on the inside of the pipes, was OK for a few years then spring lots of little leaks, they were copper pipes but just check he's fitting the fitting correctly if it's an AC fitting and fitted correctly it shouldn't leak.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I once was called to a big office AC system that was installed with special compression fittings (🤔 vulcan lockring if I recall correctly) . The installer had left out a ring that goes on the inside of the pipes, was OK for a few years then spring lots of little leaks, they were copper pipes but just check he's fitting the fitting correctly if it's an AC fitting and fitted correctly it shouldn't leak.
He assures me it's an ac fitting, I described it as compression but it's not like a regular plumbing compression fitting.
It required a large pair of 'pincers' to compress the whole fitting together. No nuts to tighten.
It still seems to be leaking though so wondered if there was a alternative option.
I waiting for ac guy to message me back and let me know what he plans, he must be getting as peed off as me

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I posted nearly exactly the same a while back. Can't find anyone or anything that can fix it and have now given up. So I'll be looking out for any solutions on here.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I posted nearly exactly the same a while back. Can't find anyone or anything that can fix it and have now given up. So I'll be looking out for any solutions on here.
I'm sure there must be places around that will make up a custom hose but searching so far hasn't found anywhere.
My AC guy has not replied to my text yet, I'm hoping he'll know and isn't ignoring me wanting it fixed under guarantee

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I agree.

Are you sure he replaced the evaporator?. That’s a long and complex job.

Do you mean condenser ?

Vulkan Lokrings require a drop of specific liquid to be applied, otherwise they do not seal correctly.

As the high side of the system reaches very high condensing pressures, lokrings may not hold up very well.

I will post some photos of an evaporator change on a mercedes sprinter I carried out (on one leg as I had a broken calcaneus).

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
E6DD48D2-F98D-4BCF-907C-97C02C670F7F.jpeg
90B47C06-27F2-4B68-87A9-82BDC7260B90.jpeg
B7A22A27-7B55-490C-8A41-B15FDC4E6237.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
There must be some place that would fit up a replacement hose?

My original part has a rubber section and pipe but so far no one wants to know. Too dirty to weld so reckon a new piece made up would be the best solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Hydraulic hose ? Not my field but would have thought a not as high in pressure,plant hoses made to specifics readily available..ask a plant hire company. Check if any chemical effect someone on here will know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back