Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Heather findlater

Free Member
May 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
Exp
Hi. I have just bought a Fiat Ducato motor home. It has a new Fiamma F80s awning.
I would like to buy an Air awning to attach but don’t know what to get. The drop from the awning is 236cm.

Can someone advise me please. I was told Vango was one of the best makes but not user of size to get. Thank you

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When we bought our motorhome after selling our caravan we pretty quickly went and bought a drive away awning so you can drive off and leave your awning zipped up on the pitch! We have used it once!

I suggest that you live with your motorhome a bit before you rush out and buy an awning as you might find its all a bit different to how you thought it would be and that awnings are pretty unusual with motorhomes. That's not to say that some don't use them but they are about as common as caravans without awnings!

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Ditto; loved it at first, easy to put up even for 1. Eventually became a pain to lug around and dry out. Needs a lot of accessories as well like ground sheet, carpet mat and pump etc which also need to be stored in the van when travelling. Zero second hand value, occasionally someone manages to sell one, often just dumped in back of garage so you may be able to pick a second hand one up that's hardly been used, just don't pay too much, most people cant even sell them.
Anyway, now I have tried to put you off, they are brilliant once erected and create lots of space for popping in and out of the van, my experience is also tarnished by the fact I always tour the following day in the van and never really mastered an easy way to reconnect with the van on return (or at least one that didn't involve a lot of faff, an audience from surrounding campers and a strong desire to just have a cup of coffee or something stronger).

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Sorry forgot to add, you need the one described as Tall, Low is for VW etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,and welcome to Motorhome Fun,the finest and best motorhoming forum in the world,probably in the universe,full of kind,caring,funny,helpful individuals who are the salt of the earth. They are never too busy to help,will answer endless questions from all and sundry,on subjects ranging from base vehicles,water pumps,beds,spare wheels,fridges,levelling,clubs,rallies,heating,routes,satnavs,maps,diets,smoking,not smoking,good jokes,bad jokes,hair dryers,microwaves,inverters,dogs,cats,illnesses,caterpillars,beer,wine.gin,whisky,small sites,large sites,toilets,especially toilets,towels,gas,fuel,cruise control,security,wilding,and lots more.

Sorry,can’t answer your question about awnings,but why do you want one,if you’ve already got one? Probably a good idea to see how you get on with it for a while.

:HelloThere:

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As has already been said live with your van first before buying an awning. I was thinking of getting a drive away awning but in the end discovered I didn’t quite need one. Instead I went with a light foldaway shelter as the thought of messing around with a tunnel every time we left or returned to the awning. I recently purchased a heavier stand alone shelter/awning from kyham mainly because we live and tour all year round mostly in Scotland which does tend to get a but windy so wanted something a bit sturdier and not as large a package as a drive away awning.
This is the lightweight awning
IMG_0424%20Large.jpg

This is the one we now have
https://www.khyam.co.uk/tents-c174/pole-system-c177/q-e-quick-erect-c178/screenhub-p13

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've been motor homing for about 10 years but have never bothered with an awning. We've probably only used the roll out sun canopy about a dozen times, usually in the UK as we tend to stay on aires when we go to France and not room to use it.

See how you go without an awning and if you feel you need one then ask the question again!

Denise

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I regularly use my Kampa Travel Pod Motion Air XL

https://www.kampa.co.uk/awning/travel-pod-motion-air

It fits easily to my attached Fiamma awning/canopy by way of a Kador strip and ‘figure of 8’, which allows for quick release when I’m driving off for the day and quick reattachment on my return.
It’s very stable and withstands strong winds, either while standing alone, or attached to the van. It has a removable ground sheet, which some sites insist on and due to it attaching to the side of my van, affords me a level of weatherproofing for the side door, especially when I want it open on hot wet days, something a separate shelter doesn’t do.

Someone mentioned coming back to it being a bit of a faff, but my method works in a few minutes.

After initial set up, hammer a coloured peg in to the ground at bottom centre of each ‘awning side’ van wheel, to ensure you can return to the same position. Once back in position, wind out the Fiamma canopy a couple of feet, so that you can reach the slot in the Facia, slide the Kador strip in, attaching the strip with the ‘figure of 8’ to the awning tunnel bead.
Wind the Fiamma back in and job done. Reverse the process to release.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We are firmly in the 'see how you go' camp. Having ordered and returned circa 4 stand-alone awnings over the last 3 years, as too complicated, big etc we are now trying a simple Decathlon canopy as a sun shade. Haven't figured out how to do it but I am sure I will get it sorted!

We don't have any sort of Fiamma awning attached to the side of the van. They are quite heavy and if you are struggling for payload it is a non essential you might want to consider leaving off but I see the van comes with it!

If you do use it just make sure you have robust spring loaded tie down straps as when it is windy, the canopy makes quite a good sail!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back