AIB have they lost the plot (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had my insurance reminder in December £283 with KGM on 8 k miles a year. Not a bad price but phoned up to tell them I was now retired and asked if that was the best premium. They said they would check if a higher excess would reduce it. They then said it wouldn't with KGM and found a slightly cheaper quote with Zenith but 6 k miles a year but said KGM were a better company. I said I think I'll stick with KGM they then said KGM wanted over £400 for 6k miles a year!!
It seems a total lottery. I took the Zenith insurance as I was by that time fed up and about to go away I now notice its for a three seater caravanette which our Chausson flash 10 isn't!!!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
They've lost the plot with me after cancelling a policy recently. I will be elsewhere come the summer renewals.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
They've lost the plot with me after cancelling a policy recently. I will be elsewhere come the summer renewals.
Did you cancel it or them?
Hope this is not ongoing with AIB. I have always found them good to deal with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Insurance companies appear to just pick random numbers out of the sky and hope you renew.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I went down the road when they didn't give me their 'best price' until I got my cattle prod out.
Not good enough.

• Funny
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i posted this in another thread when we first started with aib i was pleased to have found a broker who realy did find a reasonable renewal with out the hasle of shopping around how ever this year for my work van they came back with what seemed a high renewal so i shopped round and saved over £200 they kept ringing offering to see if they could get me a bettter quote but i took my buisness away and told them why lets see what happens when the other two policies come up for renewal

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It was their lack of attention to detail and the bureaucratic mistakes they made on the paperwork that did it for me...

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Was there any explanation for the increase on what they quoted at renewal ?
Not really. The bloke I spoke to didn't even seem to know any details of what the original quote had been he was saying about increasing the mileage but the original was on 8k miles a year. It might have been the change of occupation to retired but it seems unlikely. It was over the year end maybe they just quoted as new business. The whole thing was a bit bizarre

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Just had my renewal from AIB with a increase of £20 over last year. Still the lowest one from over 5 insurers including Comfort which was £95 higher.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Just had a bizarre quote from aib,took my details over the phone said they would work out the quote and get back to me in a few hours,they called back with a price I said could I have an email of the proposal to read over “sorry sir we don’t send out details of your cover until you pay the premium but we’re happy to answer any questions over the phone!!!!!????.”
guess who won’t be getting my business 🙂

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry, but those business practices would worry me that the business is experiencing difficulties. If it's that bad with renewals, how good will they be if things go wrong. Not providing written details for a proposed policy must be an illegal practice?

Not a business I would be happy to engage with

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not providing written details for a proposed policy must be an illegal practice?
I've experienced that with AIB before and it's been flagged up on here a few times.
It's annoying, but just their business practice, I expect they have their reasons.
You have to have all your questions answered over the phone and cross check when the policy documents arrive (by email). So it's all been good so far, and premiums competitive including unlimited windscreen cover.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had my insurance reminder in December £283 with KGM on 8 k miles a year. Not a bad price but phoned up to tell them I was now retired and asked if that was the best premium. They said they would check if a higher excess would reduce it. They then said it wouldn't with KGM and found a slightly cheaper quote with Zenith but 6 k miles a year but said KGM were a better company. I said I think I'll stick with KGM they then said KGM wanted over £400 for 6k miles a year!!
It seems a total lottery. I took the Zenith insurance as I was by that time fed up and about to go away I now notice its for a three seater caravanette which our Chausson flash 10 isn't!!!
I'm confused.

• Informative
OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm confused.
Basically they quoted me a renewal price which than disappeared as my occupation had changed from semi retired working 2 days a week to fully retired. They also weren't aware of the previous insurance details despite them being the broker.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Basically they quoted me a renewal price which than disappeared as my occupation had changed from semi retired working 2 days a week to fully retired. They also weren't aware of the previous insurance details despite them being the broker.
Sounds like a stitch up, none of my vehicle insurances changed when I stated I was retired.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We have motorhome and car insurance with them.
I find they are not always the cheapest but also not the most expensive. The fact they do the price with full European breakdown and recovery is Helpful and saves.
The motorhome insurance was due as I retired and stayed the same as the quote and just changed car insurance this month also no change.
Always find them very polite not pushy and been with them for nearly 9 years I believe and I always look around before finally staying put

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I wish we could deal direct with the Underwriting companies.

LV= are underwriters but which others?
LV are not direct underwriters but owned by Ageas. I can get family discount with LV, but get a better price from Ageas via a different broker (lifesure)

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have motorhome and car insurance with them.
I find they are not always the cheapest but also not the most expensive. The fact they do the price with full European breakdown and recovery is Helpful and saves.
The motorhome insurance was due as I retired and stayed the same as the quote and just changed car insurance this month also no change.
Always find them very polite not pushy and been with them for nearly 9 years I believe and I always look around before finally staying put
That's why I asked if they were losing the plot before they've been pretty good

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Our Motorhome insurance with AIB has actually gone down £10 this year from last year, can’t complain

Feb 14, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner PVC OEM+
Exp
Since 2010
I will be playing this game soon too. When I took out the policy most companies wanted me to have a proper tracker fitted which they said would roughly half the premium. I could not get one fitted due to lockdown so now I have let’s see if that was tripe as I expect.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
When we had the break in a car and a Van stollen(not the MoHo) the insurance company went went from around £400 to over £3,000 give the agent credit they went all out saying it was a good price even offered to review the policy of another company we went with at 1/3 of the price they offer (and we politely declined). It Saves Money to shop around.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
When we had the break in a car and a Van stollen(not the MoHo) the insurance company went went from around £400 to over £3,000 give the agent credit they went all out saying it was a good price even offered to review the policy of another company we went with at 1/3 of the price they offer (and we politely declined). It Saves Money to shop around.
thats the point i dont want to have to shop around aib used to give you a quoite that was within earshot of what we could get by shopping around now they dont seem to yes ive gone with them again for my car but it was a second call to haggle it down
i want an agent who works for me in return for the business

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
thats the point i dont want to have to shop around aib used to give you a quoite that was within earshot of what we could get by shopping around now they dont seem to yes ive gone with them again for my car but it was a second call to haggle it down
i want an agent who works for me in return for the business
spot on we shouldn’t have to shop around our home insurance has just shot up by 25% no reason given other than the broker stated it was a new underwriter. I pointed out that I really don’t wish to pay the execs of these companies to go to pay for thier kids private education or thier luxury holidays but want insurance at reasonable cost. Unfortunately in this free market society shopping around is the only way to manage costs foisted upon us by these companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back