Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No wonder the major players are dropping AGM batteries.
I bought my hyundai a couple of years ago at two years old, it has ISG.... the stupid auto engine stop start system.
It worked for the first year, though mostly I turned it off, but then it stopped working altogether.
Off to the dealers to book it in under warranty and they said at the time it would be the battery. I had my doubts as I had no trouble starting at all.
Anyway, circumstances dictated I had to cancel and never did rebook but just recently Ive had a couple of long runs and it started working again for a couple of times.
I decided to bench charge the battery.
First attempt.... 15a charge rate, 3 minutes showing full charge and capacity of 50%.
Second attempt... 2amps charge rate overnight so don't know exact time but showing full charge and capacity 70%.
The battery is obviously failing and not accepting a proper charge but the slow charge has kept the ISG going for maybe 15 cycles so far.
I haven't used the car for a couple of days so I'll see what it does tomorrow.
I can live without ISG so it won't be getting a £200 battery until it won't start on the key.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had my car from new a Kia Venga, the ISG stopped working after 2 years probably due to the battery never getting fully charged. Well at least it saved me having to turn it off every time I started the car.
Car will be 7 years old in July, much to my surprise the AGM battery is still starting it OK.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Had my car from new a Kia Venga, the ISG stopped working after 2 years probably due to the battery never getting fully charged. Well at least it saved me having to turn it off every time I started the car.
Car will be 7 years old in July, much to my surprise the AGM battery is still starting it OK.
My sister has the same car, she had problems with the stop start not working properly after about 6 months.
She’s had 2 new agm batteries so far and the car is 3 years old.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately, even though the car has a five year warranty (ex rental), the battery only has one year or I would have rebooked and had a new one.
I told them at the time of booking if its the battery leave it, I'll buy my own.
God knows how much a main dealer would charge.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have "Stop Start on our VW Passat. It has an AGM Battery.

About two years ago we came back from 3 mths on the Continent to find that there was nothing left in the Passat's battery. It wouldn't even open the doors.

I had to call breakdown out. (I didn't know about the physical key in the 'Blipper')

Anyway, from being as flat as a Fa*rt it's still going with the same battery.
OK the ISG only works after a long journey but that's no big deal. The car is 8yrs old on the same battery.

I have read on here the comments re using AMG's in the Van on the Hab. side.
All I can say, after 2yrs is that they are going strong with no sign of problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK the ISG only works after a long journey
Yes, that's what prompted me to bench charge the battery.
Most of my use is local but recently I've had a few 80 mile round trips and the last one kicked it back into life later that evening... Even with lights on.
Next morning it had packed in again.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well it didn't work at lunchtime today but after a drive across town and back I stopped at lights, dash said the usual "conditions not met" then a few seconds later the engine stopped
Pressed the clutch and away it went.... Got home and again it didn't work.
An hour later I went out again and it worked from time to time.
Must remember to turn it off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back