Advice please, what will £15000 get me. (1 Viewer)

elcottero

Free Member
Sep 8, 2017
Funster No
Hi folks.
I plan to buy my first motorhome over the next couple of months.
I have a budget of £15000.
I would like a four berth.
What make, year, mileage should I be looking at for my £15000.

I have no idea what I should be looking at and would appreciate some help to at least start me looking and making comparisons.

Regards, James.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi James and w2f,I would say to get a feel for what you could get for your budget maybe take a look at eBay.
Just look,don't be tempted to buy.You need to look properly at any vans you think may suit you,pictures don't tell the whole story.
For your budget water ingress or previous damage is important,that's not to say newer more expensive ones don't leak either,something to be aware of.
This forum has a good guide on buying a motorhomes,take the time to read that.
You will get a headache with all the makes,models,configurations.
Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't forget to look at the underlying structure of any prospective purchase. I have a small camper in the workshop now for two solid days of welding repairs! Customers only owned it a few months. It's very easy to fall in love with the idea of a motorhome and then be swayed by a clean and tidy interior without giving a thought to the mechanicals. £15000 is going to buy a ten plus year old motorhome so save a couple of grand for sorting out issues. Brakes, tyres, cam belt on even a smallish van could easily cost the thick end of a grand. Check the dates on the tyres and look closely for cracking both on sidewalks and in the tread.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! The above advice is very sound. I suggest leaving your wallet at home, sewing up your pockets and visiting as many MH dealers as you can.
You should be able to get the best deal buying privately but then you won't get any guarantees - but there's no reason not to get a vehicle checked out by the RAC, if they still do it.
Be very, very careful on eBay as there are a ridiculous number of scams on it. However, if you do the checks and part with not a bean until you've seen the vehicle it would be a good place to look. Many of the ads (genuine ones) are placed by dealers. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Layout is the most important choice. Go round lots of dealers with everybody who is going to use the moho and see how they suit you. There is no perfect layout, just the one you like best. Only then start looking at private sale ads.

And take your time. You are going to be looking at a lot of "dogs" in that price range before you find the gem.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Think you will need a used older van but if you are careful you should find a good one, try and see, sit in, prod, push investigate as many vans as you can and don't fall for the first one, they all have 'bits' you may not like a Motorhome is always a bit of a compromise!
We love our 6mtre Hymer with the pull down bed, would love a garage but don't want a fixed bed! So we compromise and stick with what we've got.:)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
To start with look at lots, sit in them, stand at the cooker and so on.
Always look in all the cupboards, behind every cushion for signs of damp ( I was shocked at the damp mould I found in one at a dealers when I moved the seat cushions)
Jim's guide to buying is invaluable.
Beware of scams online where your money will be held securely ( a bit too securely, you'll never see it again) until you're happy with the van which will be delivered to you ( no, it won't ever arrive) Always worth an HPI check and see all the paperwork before you part with a penny.
You'll find the right van, but it might take a while.

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Good luck with your search. There is some good advice above. As suggested, subscribe to this forum and get Jim's guide. You will also be able to post as much as you want and ask us lots of questions : someone will invariably know the answer. In your price range, I would buy privately BUT arrange a survey with a local caravan/motorhome surveyor, or you can do it through the Caravan and Motorhome Club. The cost of the check will give you valuable peace of mind and you will still be quids in by buying privately. Also, don't forget an HPI check which is absolutely essential because you don't want to find your new pride and joy is stolen or subject to finance. To give you some idea of dealers margins, we traded our old van in April for £20,500 and the dealer wants £29,000 for it! That's probably why it's still for sale.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not to scare you straight away BUT..
Watch out for scams as there are many around... Never pay for a van upfront or even a deposit.
If you see a van for sale that seems the right price, type in the details and see what other similar vans / years come up and compare to ensure its in a sensible price bracket.. A £25k van being sold for £10k just aint right so be wary.

As mentioned layout, there are so many so look at all the choices, even get around a few dealers and walk in a few so you get an idea of things you like and dont like.. Happy shopping.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Remember to take adequate payload for your needs into account, as without sufficient, all the other imponderables are irrelevant.

Also ensure you have the correct licence entitlement as vehicles over 3.5t require C1 entitlement.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Be very, very careful on eBay as there are a ridiculous number of scams on it

Second that.
I was looking on eBay the other night and there were loads. Vans that should be around £20k advertised around £4k. An easy way to spot them is they ask you to respond to an email and description is brief. Having said that I'm sure there are also scams that don't follow that format.
Never part with any cash without viewing no matter what reason is given and however good the deal looks.
If it looks too good to be true it certainly is

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For that budget your probably in the 1995-2000 range there's a lot of decent vans out there in that price range but expect them to be well used.
Do a free dvla Mot history check on every vehicle you view.
Don't expect a impeccable service history or regular habitation checks to have been done on a vehicle that age as it's very unlikely.
If you don't have mechanical knowledge it pays to find out if friends or family do and see if someone can view vans with you.
A good dry mechanically sound van with a scruffier interior is better than one with a neat interior and a history of mechanical issues
At that budget I would avoid dealers at a costs you'll lose half your investment straight away as they sell 8-10 grand vans at 15grand.
Private sales will increase from now till Christmas as it approaches the end of season.

Good luck in your search

Upvote 0

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
Hello,
We too are looking for a Motorhome and do have a favourite model however, this model is beyond our budget at the moment.
We too have 15,000 saved up and we can't find anything that doesn't need work.
For example, one camper we looked at, I got underneath it and saw part of the sill flaking away and so, sikaflex tape covered it, the guy had sprayed the sill but not taken the mudflaps off, so kind of gave the game away.
Look for badly worn tyres, bulging in the side wall and uneven wear.
Inside the vans they hide air freshener under the toilet lid to mask damp smells. If you smell air freshener run!
Inside cupboard space shouldn't be damp, smell damp or have rust on the hinges. On a other van I looked under and saw mice had damaged the blown air heating pipe. Always turn the front seats, this exposes all the working bits and wiring in some. I've found everything under there from mould to mouldy food. Look for damp stains on curtains, under cushions and under removable carpet. Look for water stains in kitchen cupboards, I saw a van with damage to the water pipe connection. This will cause damp. The last thing I found was a fixed bed van, the bed was all made up fancy but, I have to look at the mattress for damp indicators. Not only was there damp under the mattress, there were pee stains!!! Aarrgghhhhh
These along with other things mentioned above, are what I've found. And about 13 vans rejected because of these faults.
Don't get me wrong I'm not fed up, I'm excited at looking for a van still but don't let your heart lead the purchase decision. We joined this group because people on here I've found, will give honest opinion based on years of owning.
Good luck, we've decided to save up more and continue to search while we do this.
Julie

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
9 years ago we had a 15k budget . We ended up nearly doubling it . But when we came to sell it 7 years later ( we had reupholstered it ) we'd only lost 5k

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Over nine years ago I bought a 1987 Hymer 660S for well below your budget and have been living fulltime in it for the last few years.

It has sailed though every MOT and continues to bring me huge pleasure and contentment.

So it can be done...

JJ :cool:
Problem is motorhome popularity in the UK has almost doubled the last couple of years, which means vans are fetching more money than they were. Some of the crap out there being advertised at 15000 is unreal but then folk with good vans that were worth that then think we'll if that's 15000 mine is worth 20 and so on...... I viewed a couple a few weeks back at 20-25k and they were buckets

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are a lot of scams on eBay as has been mentioned. They are quite easy to spot, vans will be hugely undervalued and the descriptions will generally have an email address to contact, or they are selling for a friend ( again, another email address for contact) or the title will have " please read description" somewhere in it, directing you to the scammers email.
Prices for these scams range from around £4 to £7, the seller will always have 0 feedback and will be selling more than one van at a low price.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There are a lot of scams on eBay as has been mentioned. They are quite easy to spot, vans will be hugely undervalued and the descriptions will generally have an email address to contact, or they are selling for a friend ( again, another email address for contact) or the title will have " please read description" somewhere in it, directing you to the scammers email.
Prices for these scams range from around £4 to £7, the seller will always have 0 feedback and will be selling more than one van at a low price.
I'd agree with most of that except the feedback.... A lot of the time the scams are hijacked accounts and have a lot of feedback, I had my eBay account hacked last year and scammers were listing vehicles under my account, eBay and PayPal froze my accounts till they resolved it

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's a few pictures to show some areas of fiat Ducato/Peugeot boxer/ Citroen relay that are known rust traps and the initial pile of rust off this camper.

D

Attachments

• IMG_20170908_120331.jpg
    IMG_20170908_120331.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170907_144251.jpg
    IMG_20170907_144251.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elcottero

Free Member
Sep 8, 2017
Funster No
WOW! So many replies in such a short period of time. Shows that I came to the right place for advice and that the advice given is coming from knowledgeable people. I guess the most important thing I have taken from your comments so far is, "take your time".

I was so eager to find my motorhome that I may well have bought the first thing that I liked.
Now though I intend to slow down and wait for the right one. I really don't need it til next years festival season kicks off.

"eBay scams" I am very unlikely to fall for but thanks for the heads up, I never part with any cash until I am absolutely certain that it's kosher.
I have also decided to increase my budget to £20,000.

One other consideration is buying a van, and having it converted.
I know a guy in Peebles who will do a bespoke conversion for between £5000-£7000, depending on what you want.
E.G. he did a conversion on a Merc Sprinter to look like the inside of a Hobbit house for £7000 which is pretty stunning.
I would be looking for something that is purely functional and ordinary.
Any thoughts on going down this route on van conversion? I know it's not strictly a motorhome question but thought I'd ask anyways.

Upvote 0

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi EL,
If you decide to buy privately then on a legal point please, please be aware of this.

The only way you are covered for any redress if a fault was found later after your purchase is if you and only you paid for the hab check/service directly to the service provider.

Don't let the seller pay for the hab check because the only legal contract is between the person who paid for the service and the service provider.

We didn't realise the significance or our legal standing of this until afterwards.

We asked the private seller to pay for the check (the report from the AWS approved service provider said there was no damp) and it has cost us a lot of money to put right as the fault was discovered after our purchase.

The Approved Workshop Scheme was of no use to us at all even though the service provider was a member because we had not paid directly for the damp/hab check ourselves. We went through the AWS complaints procedures and we employed a solicitor as well but all to no avail, so here's the benefit of our experience on a legal point regarding the damp/hab check - pay for it yourself before purchase and if anything goes wrong you have the opportunity of some redress.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Dave

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We went for layout and space. Admittedly a higher budget than yours but we viewed a few dogs at the £48k mark. Buy a moisture meter for £20 it will tell you a lot. Look for warped wood fittings especially around the cooker also above and below seating area (coach built). Take cushions and seating off etc and check with meter. IMPORTANT !! It's your hard earned so take your time don't jump in if you love it at first sight. Spend a bit and get a HAB check done at your expense. Your a buyer and the seller wants to sell. Time waiting for HAB check is potentially £15K of a good spend and many years of happy traveling or not a lot of traveling and lots of extra expense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back