Advice please, what will £15000 get me.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by elcottero, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +25,807
    Problem is motorhome popularity in the UK has almost doubled the last couple of years, which means vans are fetching more money than they were. Some of the crap out there being advertised at 15000 is unreal but then folk with good vans that were worth that then think we'll if that's 15000 mine is worth 20 and so on...... I viewed a couple a few weeks back at 20-25k and they were buckets

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,404
    There are a lot of scams on eBay as has been mentioned. They are quite easy to spot, vans will be hugely undervalued and the descriptions will generally have an email address to contact, or they are selling for a friend ( again, another email address for contact) or the title will have " please read description" somewhere in it, directing you to the scammers email.
    Prices for these scams range from around £4 to £7, the seller will always have 0 feedback and will be selling more than one van at a low price.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +25,807
    I'd agree with most of that except the feedback.... A lot of the time the scams are hijacked accounts and have a lot of feedback, I had my eBay account hacked last year and scammers were listing vehicles under my account, eBay and PayPal froze my accounts till they resolved it

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Ratings:
    +5,311
    Here's a few pictures to show some areas of fiat Ducato/Peugeot boxer/ Citroen relay that are known rust traps and the initial pile of rust off this camper.

D

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. elcottero

elcottero

Ratings:
    +1
    WOW! So many replies in such a short period of time. Shows that I came to the right place for advice and that the advice given is coming from knowledgeable people. I guess the most important thing I have taken from your comments so far is, "take your time".

I was so eager to find my motorhome that I may well have bought the first thing that I liked.
    Now though I intend to slow down and wait for the right one. I really don't need it til next years festival season kicks off.

"eBay scams" I am very unlikely to fall for but thanks for the heads up, I never part with any cash until I am absolutely certain that it's kosher.
    I have also decided to increase my budget to £20,000.

One other consideration is buying a van, and having it converted.
    I know a guy in Peebles who will do a bespoke conversion for between £5000-£7000, depending on what you want.
    E.G. he did a conversion on a Merc Sprinter to look like the inside of a Hobbit house for £7000 which is pretty stunning.
    I would be looking for something that is purely functional and ordinary.
    Any thoughts on going down this route on van conversion? I know it's not strictly a motorhome question but thought I'd ask anyways.

6. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,110
    • Like it Like it x 1
  7. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,906
    • Like it Like it x 1
  8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,902
  9. me you and pogo 2

me you and pogo 2 Funster

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi EL,
    If you decide to buy privately then on a legal point please, please be aware of this.

The only way you are covered for any redress if a fault was found later after your purchase is if you and only you paid for the hab check/service directly to the service provider.

Don't let the seller pay for the hab check because the only legal contract is between the person who paid for the service and the service provider.

We didn't realise the significance or our legal standing of this until afterwards.

We asked the private seller to pay for the check (the report from the AWS approved service provider said there was no damp) and it has cost us a lot of money to put right as the fault was discovered after our purchase.

The Approved Workshop Scheme was of no use to us at all even though the service provider was a member because we had not paid directly for the damp/hab check ourselves. We went through the AWS complaints procedures and we employed a solicitor as well but all to no avail, so here's the benefit of our experience on a legal point regarding the damp/hab check - pay for it yourself before purchase and if anything goes wrong you have the opportunity of some redress.

I hope this helps.
    Regards
    Dave

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. Peter and Julie

Peter and Julie Funster

Ratings:
    +121
    We went for layout and space. Admittedly a higher budget than yours but we viewed a few dogs at the £48k mark. Buy a moisture meter for £20 it will tell you a lot. Look for warped wood fittings especially around the cooker also above and below seating area (coach built). Take cushions and seating off etc and check with meter. IMPORTANT !! It's your hard earned so take your time don't jump in if you love it at first sight. Spend a bit and get a HAB check done at your expense. Your a buyer and the seller wants to sell. Time waiting for HAB check is potentially £15K of a good spend and many years of happy traveling or not a lot of traveling and lots of extra expense.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  11. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Ratings:
    +5,311
    Currently at 28 hours of welding repairs, I grossly under estimated the extent of the rot in this one, probably still got 6 - 8 hours to go. A prime example of what not to buy and why you should not be swayed by a clean and chintzy interior and clean exterior bodywork, get down low and look closely at the underlying structure. Ask yourself this "would i buy a 19 year old car without having an inspection first?

D

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jaycee3

Jaycee3

Ratings:
    +15
    Just under £14k bought us a 16 year old 6 berth knaus traveller from a private ebay sellar with 12 m mot and quite a bit of history. It has a few minor dings on the outside but the inside is in good condition for its age. Might get the seats recovered at some point. We have put some money aside in case any issues crop up but feel even if they do we will have saved money over buying from a dealer.

I would say go to a show and look at loads. Even if over budget it will give you an idea of layout and makes you like. Then its a matter of finding 'the one'. Good luck.

13. duffs

duffs

Ratings:
    +154
    I love that Hymer, but too soon to buy for us sadly and OH hasn't looked at any yet waiting until the funds arrive.

14. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,697
    Last year for £15000 i bought a 2002 Autosleeper with 28000 on the clock,,full service history and two previous owners,,BUSBY,,

15. houdini

houdini Funster

Ratings:
    +4,365
    Welcome to Fun.

Not sure if anyone has said to make sure you have four travelling seats - motorhomes don't always have enough for the number of berths.

16. Beerbiker

Beerbiker Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +29
    I am in a similar position but have been persuaded by looking that I need to go a bit higher. I'd check out continental vans in the 1999-2003 age bracket. But you have to imagine how you will live ...everybody's compromises are different. Having said that I saw a Mobilvette which looked fantastic in the photos but the MOT's looked a bit dodgy and the underside...lotsa rust..revealed what I thought the MOT history was telling me. Caveat emptor!