Advice please on buying my first mh (1 Viewer)

Jaffacake

Free Member
Jan 26, 2018
Funster No
Hi I have just joined this group and was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions? Apologies in advance if they have already been asked! About me...never owned a mh before, I have no idea about engines or what to look out for structurally....I know the layout I want .....used condition, 6 berth, at least 5 full seatbelts (this is proving the biggest challenge) rear bunks, around £20,000-23,000)
Questions....

-1-Advantages of caravan club v RAC type inspections?

-2-with cars there is ‘what’s car guide’ for used car prices, is there something similar for mh’s?

—3-seen a ci Carioca 2006 model 656. 2.3 diesel for £23,000 full service history, 20, ooo miles, through a dealer, on eBay, is that reasonably priced?
-4-Any advantages/disadvantages with this model?
-5-if I try to negotiate prices with dealers, how much lower than the asking price is reasonable to offer?
-5- a broker advised me to buy now as prices go up massively in springtime, is this true?

If anyone can answer any bits of the above, I would be very grateful, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole process! TIA

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
There is only a few centimetres difference. Send her on a Club course for a 'C' or 'A' Class - you might have to rent a vehicle for it - I think they cannot provide vehicles. But it might be cheaper than buying a PVC and changing it in a year.

There is a world of difference in storage space(no underfloor lockers), water tanks space, particlarly if you want a fixed bed - if not get her to promise to always make the bed - while you go to the pub.

Stand your ground.

Good luck for the Divorce.:(

Geoff
The wife has definitely said she will be going on a course,it’s going down narrow country roads she’s most concerned about .

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Inwould also use it for family hols, hence the seat belt issue. Lap belts not an option, what would I do choose the kid I like the least for the less safe belt, So that's a big NO, I love them all❣I like the idea of bunk beds. When I'm at agility I could just pop in one bunk, not having to make up a bed would be ideal, I could also potentially use the garage as a vented area to have some sort of dog crate/bed, when i'm off walking courses during the day.

Ours had full belts for the cab (obviously) and the two forward facing dinette seats. The rear facing dinette seats had lap belts, but there might be an anchor point on the window side if you wanted the full monty.

As you've probably seen, the bottom bunk can be raised on a hinge to make the boot space taller - without that I think you'd struggle to fit poochie inside. You could probably ventilate it via the floor level locker door into the living space, then the main roof vents, but don't understimate how hot they can get on a sunny day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The wife has definitely said she will be going on a course,it’s going down narrow country roads she’s most concerned about .
the cheap way to get experience is go to a commercial van sales as a prospective buyer and test drive a couple of large luton vans. maybe even rent one for a weekend for even more practice manoeuvring round an empty industrial estate over a weekend

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
the cheap way to get experience is go to a commercial van sales as a prospective buyer and test drive a couple of large luton vans. maybe even rent one for a weekend for even more practice manoeuvring round an empty industrial estate over a weekend
Get what you are saying,my beloved has been in my fiat fiorino around local industrial estate (y):rofl: just need to make it a little bigger .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome. This is a great site to learn all you need to know. I read the book about buying, it’s worth the read. We hired one first which gave us an idea of what we wanted. We got lucky with our first van which met all our needs but we did LOTS of research. One v large dog and all the parafanailia we’ve now got, we were glad we had a higher payload. Also layout, what you think you want isn’t always what you need! One year on and we are now hooked and love the relaxation and freedom of having a MH. However, we are on our 2nd van already as upgraded to a newer and smaller one so possibly ignore everything I’ve said

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0