LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
After our first, very exciting, Six months of turning left when we hit the M6 and adding around 5K to the odometer we hope we have learned enough about driving and living in the motorhome for a new adventure, taking her abroad... (meeting held at 16:40 2/4/18 decided she was a she)

We've decided to head for the Old Aquitaine region as we think it might provide us with what we want as a first trip, in no particular order (apart from the Baguettes) -
1) Baguettes from a Boulangerie early in the morning.
2) Good local Markets
3) Reasonably warm weather but not sweltering, no guarantees but hopefully not monsoon season.
4) Beaches for Bannock (the Border Terrier) to run on and us to maybe get some rays.
5) History/Historical structures to investigate, on foot.
6) Mountains and Forests to stay in.
7) Any outstanding, quirky Restaurants that are off the beaten track.

We're planning on catching the train at 02:30 ish 16th June and returning two weeks later. First stint will be from Chester to Folkestone after work on Friday with hopefully a couple of hours break at the terminal, then we were planning on following the "Toll free" 'ish route to Bordeaux using the A28/N154/N10 that @PhilandMena suggested in Post #9 here . Driving will be shared but Chris has never driven abroad so it'll start out as just dual-carriageways for her until her confidence at roundabouts and turning left grows. We guess it will take us around 15 hours (driving time) to get just south of Bordeaux from Calais averaging 50mph.

Any advice on the above would be welcome, we may find that we need a break on our journey down for a few hours, so suggestions for really nice Aire's would be great.

On "arrival" our first target is Gastes Aire (Atlantic 142) for a couple of nights to relax and recuperate and from there to make our way South slowly, at the moment we have no plans in terms of exploring the region and would welcome any suggestions from more experienced travellers.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Sounds great, but the thought terrifies me. Maybe in 12 months time....... who knows? :whistle:(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Don't underestimate how big France is, Calais to Bordeaux is a lot of driving in a two week holiday.
I know from my first trip when I over estimated how far we would travel and realised we were passing many perfectly good places we would like to visit.
But whatever you do you will enjoy it, as others have said france is Motorhome heaven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Gastes is a nice aire ( bit campsite like but really nice)
While in that region ,the Dune du Pyla is a must ,huge sand dune about 110 mtrs high ,fab views from on top ,it moves inland about a mtr each year
Pic of the dune
upload_2018-4-2_18-58-44.png

Pic of gastes aire ,we are the Pilote A class in the middle
upload_2018-4-2_19-0-49.png

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think that time of year and morning you might not get the 2 hour break at the tunnel terminal on the UK side, I suspect you may be waved onto the next available train. I would suggest you prepare a back up plan of somewhere to park up on arrival in france. a lot of people suggest the terminal itself but having stayed there once a few years ago in a small camper, I wouldn't do it again due to noise.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Its very exciting setting off abroad for the first time but the great advantage of a motorhome in France, out of peak season, is that you don't have to plan too far ahead. Just have a general direction in mind and with one eye on the weather, meander at will. If you have an aires guide, online or paper, you won't be short of somewhere to stop over and very often its the small unexpected places that you enjoy the most. With only two weeks don't spoil both ends with several days of heavy driving would be our advice. The most difficult and tiring part of your journey is likely to be this side of the tunnel. We now nearly always stop at Cite Europe just 5 minutes from the Calais terminal to eat and sleep, giving us a fresh start in the morning.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Acquitaine is perfect for the beach, but there is very little else down there, I think it is quite barren and flat and you end up paying top euro for the aires at that time of year. Perfect for your dog to run around all day but you wont get to see a lot of history and certainly no mountains apart from the pyrenees in the distance.
A little further up the coast is Charente and the islands with far more to see and do (imho) and further north is Cornwall Brittany and both of these areas have numerous long sandy beaches but with scenery and history
June will be hot (if history is anything to go by) so mountains might be your place of rest.

If going down to Acquitaine then le pilat noted above is worth a visit. Bordeaux is a lovely city, I find the Medoc region quite boring (nice wine though) and on the way down you will pass Oradour sur Glanes (look up wiki) and this might be worth doing on the way back rather than going out (I wont be taking my own advice!!) You wont be a million miles away from the dordogne or lot valleys where it would be very easy to spend a fortnight seeing loads.

Whatever you decide, by the time you get to Rouen (read threads on how to get through Rouen and keep your roof attached) you will be quite happy driving on the roads and the next stretch to Chartres (worthy of a stop) is open, wide and you can see for miles and miles and it is all wheat !

Enjoy

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If travelling that far down France for 2 weeks I would be going the fastest route (assuming it does not go through Paris) and not trying to save the odd Euro by adding an extra hour, fuel, stress, and wear and tear to the journey. 15 hours travel each way is 6 long days or 4 "get up and do nothing but drive" days plus your travel in the UK. Leave the time-plenty routes to the pensioners.
Also taking a break by heading for a nice aire is not something I would do. You have been bowling along at motorway speeds then move onto quiet side roads with different road signs, awkward junctions and maniac locals in a hurry. The French have far more stopping places on motorways and dual carriageways than the UK.
Keep an eye on fuel prices for UK v France at the moment and work out where you need to fill up as fuel prices on motorways in France are as extortionate as the UK so it pays to plan.
Personal preference would be the Loire as the weather is usually good and there are chateaux, loadsa aires and varied wines - but perhaps not that beachy.
Check out the Cite d"Europe beside the Eurotunnel on Google maps and Youtube, you can pick up fuel, food, booze and stop overnight either on the way down or the way back. Utilitarian but at sometime you will find it useful. Also the Baie de Somme service station has an aire on it. Good stop just over an hour from Calais (obviously food and fuel is overpriced).

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Red and Chris

Certainly France is good for the 7 items you list and I think you will definitely enjoy it.

However, as others have said to get from Chester to Bordeaux area and back is a lot of driving, especially in 2 weeks.

We have travelled in France quite a lot and know how long it takes to cross the longer distances.

I suggest you seriously, seriously consider re-planning to reduce the distance travelled, or you will knacker yourselves, not have time to do the things you want in a laid-back manner and arrive back needing a holiday.

There are so many great places to see which you would be driving past.

An alternative would be to take the ferry to Bibao/Santander, then you could do the Pyrenees and use the 2 weeks to just do the one-way trip back to the Channel - could make better use of the short time available. We did this a couple of years ago and it does save a lot of driving.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We stayed at Gastes Aire, had a fantastic private pitch. Just a pointer thought. The credit card payment machine would not accept our English card, so take cash just in case. Also if you stay longer than you pay for you have to go out and go back in again. We thought you could pay on exit for an extra night and had to call for help when we’re were unable to get through the barrier!

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We seem to have a slightly different approach to a lot of people. We will happily spend the first day of our holiday driving on toll roads to get where we want to be and then enjoy that area and do the same on the way back.
I think it totally depends what you class as a lot of driving. I frequently spend 6 hours in a day driving to and from some of our work locations in one day and think nothing of it. Some of my friends would consider and hours driving each way a lot.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Our best holiday in France was driving from SW Scotland to Cheshire (1st eve) down from Cheshire to Northern France (day 1), straight down to Bordeaux (day 2), then cycle along they Garonne/Canal du Midi to Port La Nouvelle, train back to Bordeaux ... . So if you don’t mind heavy driving then it’s doable, certainly in 17 nights. The towns Nd villages and countryside along the Garonne and Midi are lovely so you could base your holiday along this meander ... it’s a short route ... 750km on the tow paths ... even finishing at Narbonne would be nice :D:ROFLMAO:.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree that what you're planning is a lot of driving, especially for a first trip - we made that mistake and came back with only memories of miles of tarmac. You may need to plan your stops a little as that particular route, which is one we know well, has patches that are a little sparse in aires.

Also I would recommend that once you're across, go straight round to Citie Europe and park up for a reasonable rest. You'll be too tired to be safe and believe me, you'll enjoy it much more if you are properly rested. You are unlikely to get any rest at Folkestone.

France is perhaps the easiest country in Europe for a motorhome so don't rush, there's plenty of the country to see.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I am on the side of the 'don't drive too far' brigade. To spoil the holiday by excessive driving would be a shame, but then again, what is excessive driving .... and perhaps if you can identify the reasons you want to drive so far to a specific location, perhaps the same reasons can be found elsewhere without as much driving ??

you could get to Bordeaux in around 10 hours without using toll roads via Rouen, caen, rennes, nantes etc (mainly motorway standard roads after caen) and there are plenty of places to stop on the way. Bayeaux or Le Mont St Michel areas as examples for an overnighter. Nantes on a Sunday when the 'Machines' are out is well worth a visit - you can park on the outskirts and use a boris bike to explore if youre feeling adventurous ...

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For us the beauty of the motorhome is that we don't plan, OK book the train and plan on turning right but just take it easy and staying off tolls you will pass through small villages with stuff to see and you might spot an aire and think "this might be nice for the night" there are nice coast/beach places on the way to Bordeaux area if you wanted to break the journey we stopped at Honfleur earlier this year.

Martin

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like a great trip - I don't think Bordeaux area is too far for a 2 week holiday (good job really, as that's what we're planning on doing this year too!). Luckily driving in France is much easier than in the UK - especially on the motorways. I agree with @Camdoon though that you'd be better taking the toll route to get where you want to go as quickly as possible, then relax when you get there.

Our style of travelling is probably somewhat different to most people's on here - we're normally limited to 2 x 2 weeks away per year, if we do a 3 week trip then it means very limited holidays for the rest of the year. As our favourite areas are further south and east, we tend to have a day or two of long drives at the front and back end of each trip so we can take it easy and explore when we're there. We do plan, but its flexible and subject to change depending on the weather and how we feel. For a 2 week holiday we aim to average around 120 miles per day with at least 2 stays of 3 nights, any more mileage than that and it feels a bit rushed to me (though hubby is fine with it). If you only have 2 weeks and you want to see somewhere that's not northern France then you have to put the miles in somewhere.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
We are all different, what makes a good trip for some is a hellish drive for others.

For me, it's about the destination, not the journey.

Calais to Bordeaux is a tank full of diesel away, when I drive (normally alone) I only stop when I need diesel or reach my destination/port.

There are 2 of you able share the driving, you have a motorhome, so you can easily pull over & have a rest/food/sleep/driver change/overnight stay/etc. depending on how you feel.

So I say "go for it" and change your plan if you need or want to.

Reactions: xgx
Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
IMO travelling from the north I wouldn't use the tunnel or the short sea crossing ever. There's just not enough recovery time between the drives. We much prefer a leisurely crossing, we often overnight at the western channel ports, same goes for France and Spain. For the Bordeaux region we'll look at either Ply-Roscoff, PIP-St Malo or PIP- Zierbena/Bilbao.

Think about joining Brittany Ferries Club Voyage you'll save a fortune in ferry travel, average saving is around £150 per sailing but in some cases £300 on many of their Spanish crossings. We use them around 6 times a year and have done for donkeys... many of the C&C, C&Mh Club offered fares may appear to be £20-£30 cheaper but it usually involves a poorer grade cabin and lacking in the other incentives plus they're more geared to caravan users.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage-travel-club

Consider using the toll roads too, they make a lot of difference. Sanef's tag which attaches to the windscreen allows seamless passage through the booths bypassing the queues. Charges are similarly configured like the UK, most standard MH's are charged as cars. They now produce one which covers Spain & Portugal.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

Keep an eye out for the new 'Crit Air' signs designed to reduce pollution. It's been rolled out for towns but is now affecting rural parts. Stickers and registration is done easily enough online for around €5 including postage. Maybe needed, maybe not but for the price why not?

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Worth bearing in mind too that Aires are great especially when wanting to visit towns and cities, France is a very motorhome friendly place, but many are just glorified car parks, you can't get your chairs out or use your awning if the sun's cracking the flags.

Remember too that this forum is available even when abroad, I'm sure most of us will offer any hints and tips you may need whilst away.

You'll have a great time and probably be booking a return visit even before you get home.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We seem to have a slightly different approach to a lot of people. We will happily spend the first day of our holiday driving on toll roads to get where we want to be and then enjoy that area and do the same on the way back.
I think it totally depends what you class as a lot of driving. I frequently spend 6 hours in a day driving to and from some of our work locations in one day and think nothing of it. Some of my friends would consider and hours driving each way a lot.
Same as us we did 3000 miles around France in 2 1/2 weeks last year and often stay on the clay pidgeon ground near my sister in law near Lyon in one days drive from Calais. I would pay the tolls on the way there hammer down in a day or two meander for 10 days and work back. Each to their own but if work limits time off its either knuckle down and do the distance or go somewhere else.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I dont see Chester to Bordeaux as too much of a problem in 2 days.
I ll be leaving Guildford after a 12 hour night shift and making Oradour including a couple of hours kip (hopefully) somewhere. 2 drivers and no tolls

Upvote 0

NeilB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35 y
After our first, very exciting, Six months of turning left when we hit the M6 and adding around 5K to the odometer we hope we have learned enough about driving and living in the motorhome for a new adventure, taking her abroad... (meeting held at 16:40 2/4/18 decided she was a she)

We've decided to head for the Old Aquitaine region as we think it might provide us with what we want as a first trip, in no particular order (apart from the Baguettes) -
1) Baguettes from a Boulangerie early in the morning.
2) Good local Markets
3) Reasonably warm weather but not sweltering, no guarantees but hopefully not monsoon season.
4) Beaches for Bannock (the Border Terrier) to run on and us to maybe get some rays.
5) History/Historical structures to investigate, on foot.
6) Mountains and Forests to stay in.
7) Any outstanding, quirky Restaurants that are off the beaten track.

We're planning on catching the train at 02:30 ish 16th June and returning two weeks later. First stint will be from Chester to Folkestone after work on Friday with hopefully a couple of hours break at the terminal, then we were planning on following the "Toll free" 'ish route to Bordeaux using the A28/N154/N10 that @PhilandMena suggested in Post #9 here . Driving will be shared but Chris has never driven abroad so it'll start out as just dual-carriageways for her until her confidence at roundabouts and turning left grows. We guess it will take us around 15 hours (driving time) to get just south of Bordeaux from Calais averaging 50mph.

Any advice on the above would be welcome, we may find that we need a break on our journey down for a few hours, so suggestions for really nice Aire's would be great.

On "arrival" our first target is Gastes Aire (Atlantic 142) for a couple of nights to relax and recuperate and from there to make our way South slowly, at the moment we have no plans in terms of exploring the region and would welcome any suggestions from more experienced travellers.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock
Hi there
we have just returned from Grau de Gandia (3 Weeks) by your proposed route to Spanish Border
I always clear the Tunnel area and drive down the A16 to Abbeyville costs 12.5 Euro but so easy to start with. then on A28 to Forge Les Eaux. Buchy in the next town is just as good and nearer the centre. This is about 2 hrs drive from the tunnel and does not vary much so is easy to plan, cost E8 but inc EHU.
Then down to Chatres via N154 via Rouen taking East side of River south. Then N10 to Chateaudun and N924 to Blois. leclerc self service fuel at Nonacourt going towards Dreux.
Blois has excelent Aire in centre of town cost E8 take 40 campers on Rue de Moulin (immediately on right after bus lane ends.) The Chateau 5 min walk is well worth a visit.
The via Amboise, Loches Descartes to N10 and Poiters and prior to Angouleme there is an excellent Aire at a Resevoir at Sainte-Quente-sur-Charente in season has 4 EHUs free.(starts 1 April I think)
Then South. You cannot get from Bordeaux to Bayonne A63 without Paying the toll E5.50 at Ladouheyre and just after Castets E5.50 unless you make a biggish detour via Dax. Using a good map you can leave A63 at junction prior to paytolls and join at next junction. easy side roads. I just pay. If you are going to Spain I like to go from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona, very bendy over the top and great seeing the walkers on their pilgrimage to Santiago del Compostela. Great aire at Castantes just south of Tudela but gets full. Diesel in France is about E1.34 at supermarkets and E1.21 in Spainish supermarkets etc.
hope this helps and have a good trip Enjoy the emptier and smoother roads compared with UK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hi there
we have just returned from Grau de Gandia (3 Weeks) by your proposed route to Spanish Border
I always clear the Tunnel area and drive down the A16 to Abbeyville costs 12.5 Euro but so easy to start with. then on A28 to Forge Les Eaux. Buchy in the next town is just as ...

NOW THAT's what I'm talking about! An "Informative" rating seems so lacking!

Thank you for taking the time to post this, it's super useful/informative for me :D

Cheers
Bannock, Chris and Red.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Be aware if it's been heavily raining in Gastes over the previous week(s) the aire gets very waterlogged at certain points complete with terrible ruts. This made access difficult and reduced the number of spaces when we arrived, and it had been fine weather for several days by then. It is a lovely aire though! The point about cash is a good one - we only had just enough and there is no ATM within easy striking distance.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just adding to this as we stayed last night in the aire at Roncesvilles which is just over the border into Spain after St Jean Pied de Pont in France. No border control and just a steep mountain pass with hairpins but fine and a great way into Spain.. The poor pilgrims have to walk up the steep path for 14k which forms the first day of their pilgrimage and they overnight at the monastery buildings in the village at Roncesvilles where we stayed . The aire is the car park just where their route comes out so it's interesting to watch them arrive. Only two bars in the tiny village but very lively with the walkers.
IMG_0710.JPG

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back