Advice needed re Travel Insurance (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
You are correct but you can't get it without having your house insurance with them and it is on the same policy, and as far as I know you can alter the 30 day thing we just didn't need to, and we had been quoted that much each elsewhere, I'm 72 Julie 68.
I know, we are NFU customers but sadly since Mrs Wacks run in with the Big C, although she's in full remission, as she is still having immunotherapy treatment to stop its return they wouldn't provide cover. We ended up with Euro Tunnel - as others have said on here full cover with existing medical conditions.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use Staysure, tell ‘em when we’re going, tell ‘em when we’re coming back. They tell me the cost, wether it be an arm or a leg, or on longer trips (5 mths or so) both an arm and a leg ??

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Insurance that comes with Lloyds Bank accounts covers you up to 80 years old. Standard is 45 days and you can pay to extend it.
We bank with Lloyds and used to use their insurance - but the additional cost for extending beyond 45 days went through the roof last year (for us at least) so we went elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Staysure is the one company to avoid still battling with their loss assessors through the ombudsman as having had a mild stroke they removed my coronary cover which meant I had to cancel a cruise, part of the cruise T&C were you must be fully insured. Staysure trying to state I didn't cover all my illness unfortunately for them I sent them my full medical records recorded delivery as so many insurance company's try this on and as I said to the ombudsman whats the point of paying over three hundred pounds for a year long multi trip policy if insurance companys try and cancel it as soon as something goes wrong
Claimed for fractured patella and flu on a cruise when in Oz last winter . Both settled I full very quickly

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Claimed for fractured patella and flu on a cruise when in Oz last winter . Both settled I full very quickly

Consider your self lucky I have found several people who are having trouble with EVR who seem to handle staysure claims while I would accept that 15 people having problems I suspect that may be a small percentage of the amount they insure, this does not include those who just give up fighting them

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Consider your self lucky I have found several people who are having trouble with EVR who seem to handle staysure claims while I would accept that 15 people having problems I suspect that may be a small percentage of the amount they insure, this does not include those who just give up fighting them
Called them from the hospital to inform situation and asked for e mail confirmation of permission to continue and terms they quoted as we were at a private hospital . They paid for follow up appointment and physio as we were there for 3 months and happened In first month . Re cruise no contact possible but that was paid out first followed by the broken patella claim . All staff on phone superb

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
On our last trip we used Eurotunnel insurance mainly because we have medical conditions.
You don't have to declare conditions providing your doctor can confirm you are fit to travel. We are 73 and 70 and had cover for 2 months. Of course you only find out how good the cover is when you have to make a claim. So can't speak for that bit.
We use Eurotunnel insurance and have been told we can't extend to more than 31 days. How do you manage to get 2 months?

Denise
I just entered the dates on the booking form. It didn't seem to be a problem.
this might help https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/insurance/travel-insurance/
look under summary and coverage
Was that for a single trip then? We have the annual multi trip and that's limited to 31 days.
Although we have annual travel cover, out of interest I just attempted to make a 6 week return Eurotunnel booking, departing in a couple of weeks time, and asked for Travel Insurance for me and my Wife. As we are both over 70, only single-trip cover is offered. The quote was £176 which seemed rather expensive to me. However, if you have serious but stable pre-existing medical conditions which other Insurers are unwilling to cover, this may be the only viable option.
Just had a look. The 31 day limit applies to annual coverage. We booked single trip.

I think the limit for oldies over 70 must have been recently changed, as it was definitely up to 31 days when I looked earlier this year, single trip only of course.

What's this then , came yesterday.
£133 for two of us.View attachment 322848
Annual policy each trip limited to 30 days.

I have just downloaded the policy schedule for a July 2019 and I cannot find reference to the less than 31days for over 70s so that’s good news. However someone posted recently that they are changing it so that you have to be travelling on the tunnel. I shall be testing that next March when we fly to Spain!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think the limit for oldies over 70 must have been recently changed, as it was definitely up to 31 days when I looked earlier this year, single trip only of course.

However someone posted recently that they are changing it so that you have to be travelling on the tunnel. I shall be testing that next March when we fly to Spain!

That was me last month when I renewed mine. Was told you had to have a tunnel crossing booked or book at same time.

Max age for annual multi trip cover is 69 and limited to 31 days. No age limit on single trips up to 94 days.

Denise

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That was me last month when I renewed mine. Was told you had to have a tunnel crossing booked or book at same time.

Max age for annual multi trip cover is 69 and limited to 31 days. No age limit on single trips up to 94 days.

Denise
Ah yes, but would that be any old tunnel crossing or ones for those exact dates? I have frequent traveller so could just book in a crossing for those dates and amend them unless the conditions of insurance say you must travel with the tunnel on these dates. Reading through all the bumf just now I couldn’t see anything about it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, it just has to be a booking. They'd probably be OK if you just tell them you have FT but haven't finally set your dates yet. No point in booking something just so you can do the insurance, although I know it's not usually difficult to change bookings.

Denise

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We bank with Lloyds and used to use their insurance - but the additional cost for extending beyond 45 days went through the roof last year (for us at least) so we went elsewhere.
Must admit I haven't extended it for a couple of years, last time it was £70 for 62 days.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Must admit I haven't extended it for a couple of years, last time it was £70 for 62 days.
Prepare yourself for a shock next time you extend! They claimed to us they raised prices following a review of prevailing market levels - so not what it cost them, just what they thought they could get away with!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back