Advice and thoughts on an air lock problem please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Hi all,

I think I must have read every article, post and bit of advice on this issue and still cannot remove the air lock. We have just bought our first MH, an Autocruise Gleneagle. The pump ran on a little and was a bit noisy so I decided to change it for a Shurflo. I did this on Tuesday. I have spent most of the rest of this week trying to obtain an even flow of water without the accompanying spluttering. I would say the issue is pretty bad and much much worse than anything experienced in the previous three weeks (lesson learnt!)

I have drained the water heater, first trying the nearest tap and then the one furthest from the pump. I have tried the cold first and then the hot first (or possibly the other way around). I haven't tried ' blasting ' water through the shower hose with a hose pipe.

I have driven down to fill up with diesel. I even tried warming the water (a little).

We are off away for the weekend now so hoping the drive (not too far but hopefully far enough) might shake things up a bit and help solve the problem.

So the point of my request for help.

I will obviously try again when pitched up and will update on the situation.

In the meantime if the experts in water/plumbing air locks, could find a minute to ponder what I haven't tried and suggest it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation and as Tony used to say BFN (was it Tony?)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Have you got hot and cold water flowing out of every tap?

That includes cold water out of the toilet flush.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Hot water is spluttering. Cold, less so. Toilet flushes unless hot water is running. This is now. When we arrived I thought we had cracked it but once water was warmed (via heating system as hot water not selected) it has started playing up again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I suspect you have air getting in as fast as its getting out
re check all previous connections that you have separated to fit new pump inc filter housing you may have damaged for cracks
also any connections already on new pump manf made ones included

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I suspect you have air getting in as fast as its getting out
re check all previous connections that you have separated to fit new pump inc filter housing you may have damaged for cracks
also any connections already on new pump manf made ones included

Does sound like it and I would think air getting in before pump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Wife has just tried showering. I have tested again. Hot taps spluttering fiercely, cold nearly running normally. Pump runs on after taps closed šŸ¤”. Frustrating

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Earlier when I was running hot water in kitchen wife said toilet would not flush. I turned hot water tap off and asked her to try agsin. Toilet flushed. I am going to try it again now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
When hot tap is opened it certainly restricts the amount of water dispensed when flushing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
If it's pulling air in I guess I need to check the two connections to the new pump I fitted then after that where? Pipe feeding up from tank? No leaks from the new pump connections. I didn't use PTFE tape. Should I have?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Shurflo pump does run on for a few seconds after the tap is closed, to pressurise the system again, but any longer than that indicates either a leak, or as suggested above, ie, air being induced. šŸ˜•

Good luck finding the cause. šŸ‘

Cheers,

Jock. šŸ™‚

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Also fitted new filter as recommended. So we have inlet feed from tank into filter, filter to pump inlet, pump out to water heater and taps. Just had a thought. I didn't use the shurflo connecters that came with the pump. I used the original compression 90 degree fittings. I guess that might be the cause?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Thanks Jock. I am ok with a few seconds and I think that is what we have.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are generally happy in your head with the fittings I would check the filter is all in good sealed order.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
From personal experience, if air is 'coming in', then water may be 'going out.
And, where that water may be going may be a problem.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
used the original compression 90 degree fittings. I guess that might be the cause?
Probably. Put ptfe tape round the inlet olive and on the pump inlet threads if there is no rubber washer. It's sucking air in šŸ‘

Or if they are JG speedfits make sure the pipe is pushed in enough, you'll feel it clunk in šŸ‘

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
old pump had a non return valve and the replacement shurflo does not so water draining back to the tank??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Thanks for replies. They have given me food for thought. I will persevere and update next week when we are back and I have some time to get back on it. In the meantime spluttering water feed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
What is the answer to a pump without a non return valve?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would be cautious with current issues and make sure I turned off the water pump at night and whilst away from the van, until issue was sorted. Just incase there is a weak point.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Good point. The pipework and fittings look really solid though. From what I can see anyway. And this wasn't such a big issue until I decided to change the pump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
From personal experience, if air is 'coming in', then water may be 'going out.
And, where that water may be going may be a problem.
Yeah would make sense but I think and hope this is related to me changing the pump. Time will tell of course.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
If you are generally happy in your head with the fittings I would check the filter is all in good sealed order.
In my head the fittings are good. If there was any doubt I would have done it differently. Suppose I might have to come back to them if other avenues are exhausted. Will check filter but I would hope it is ok as it came with the pump. Instructions said hand tighten only which is what I have done. Back to PTFE tape. Should I have used some on connections between fitting and filter, filter and pump? Feel I read somewhere not to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Probably. Put ptfe tape round the inlet olive and on the pump inlet threads if there is no rubber washer. It's sucking air in šŸ‘

Or if they are JG speedfits make sure the pipe is pushed in enough, you'll feel it clunk in šŸ‘
Thanks. They aren't speedfit. Plastic compression fittings. I will check for rubber washers. Assumed they would be there but didn't specifically look to check. Might be as simple as that. And that makes me slapdash which I am struggling with šŸ˜­.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back