Advice and thoughts on an air lock problem please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Hi all,

I think I must have read every article, post and bit of advice on this issue and still cannot remove the air lock. We have just bought our first MH, an Autocruise Gleneagle. The pump ran on a little and was a bit noisy so I decided to change it for a Shurflo. I did this on Tuesday. I have spent most of the rest of this week trying to obtain an even flow of water without the accompanying spluttering. I would say the issue is pretty bad and much much worse than anything experienced in the previous three weeks (lesson learnt!)

I have drained the water heater, first trying the nearest tap and then the one furthest from the pump. I have tried the cold first and then the hot first (or possibly the other way around). I haven't tried ' blasting ' water through the shower hose with a hose pipe.

I have driven down to fill up with diesel. I even tried warming the water (a little).

We are off away for the weekend now so hoping the drive (not too far but hopefully far enough) might shake things up a bit and help solve the problem.

So the point of my request for help.

I will obviously try again when pitched up and will update on the situation.

In the meantime if the experts in water/plumbing air locks, could find a minute to ponder what I haven't tried and suggest it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation and as Tony used to say BFN (was it Tony?)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Check the filter cap.
If it is cracked or not properly sealed, it will let air into the pipework so that the pump delivers air as well as (less) water.
Spluttering suggests that air getting in is the problem (before the supply gets to the pump.
If not the filter, check the joints on the feed (low pressure) side.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Check the filter cap.
If it is cracked or not properly sealed, it will let air into the pipework so that the pump delivers air as well as (less) water.
Spluttering suggests that air getting in is the problem (before the supply gets to the pump.
If not the filter, check the joints on the feed (low pressure) side.
Thanks. Will do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
A picture of anything you've worked on and any associated connections.
Will do. But it is simply two 90 degree compression connections. Which were undone, old pump and filter removed, new pump and filter mounted and reinstate connections. Albeit without checking if rubber washers were present ( bad decision) , and didn't use PTFE tape. Assumed ( maybe naively) new pump and filter would be ok. Pump is vertically mounted on inside of locker under bench seat (same as old one).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Had the same problem once, cured it with an in-line non return valve. You can get one online for under a tenner , Whale make them.
Phil
Thanks. I am about to check for washers and reconnect with a bit of PTFE. If that doesn't help then I could be looking at a non return valve.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Photos of two compression fittings and new pump and filter. They are the only two fittings touched. When I have lifted bench and moved carpet there is a small patch of water where cloth is placed. No obvious sign as to where it has come from.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Except the photos wouldn't upload 🤔. Anyway, we nipped into Melton Mowbray this morning with friends staying on same site. In the whole of my life I don't think I have walked around so many of those bargain stores. Popped into Wilko's and bought some O rings and washers. Picked up some PTFE tape too. Had a look at it whilst trying to upload the photos. When I lifted bench I could see a smattering of water on the floor. The majority had been absorbed by our outside mat I left in as last night was very wet and windy. At that point I was thinking serious problem? As expected the compression fitting had a washer in, so took shurflo filter off and guess what. No O ring. I should have checked I know. The packet I bought had one of what I thought would be the correct size. Dah dah. Problem solved. A big thank you to all who took the time to reply. Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
I took the filter apart too Andy. Made sure it was all ok inserted O ring and bingo! Thanks again

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Good job. Well done. Thought it would be the filter assembly as that is just before the pump so easier for the pump to suck air rather than water.
Enjoy your time away now 👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirsch
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Good job. Well done. Thought it would be the filter assembly as that is just before the pump so easier for the pump to suck air rather than water.
Enjoy your time away now 👍🏻👍🏻
👍👍👍

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
old pump had a non return valve and the replacement shurflo does not so water draining back to the tank??
I think the OP has a diaphragm pump which has two non-return valves inbuilt into the pumping mechanism. A non-return valve is only necessary for pumps with a rotary impeller, that allow back-flow when turned off. Many submersible pumps are the rotary type.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back