Advice about Awning Rafters/Poles please (1 Viewer)

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Would appreciate some advice about rafters/poles for a wind out awning. After 2 years, sometimes I still feel like I'm a newbie at this lark :blusher:

My Sunlight Cliff PVC has a Thule Omnistor 6300 awning - 3.75m.

It came with a 2-part metal "springy" pole - like an old fashioned tent pole. The Thule instructions only make a very brief mention of it, but they do state that the 3.75m only comes with 1 of them.

I believe this fits along the "side" of the awning i.e. van to awning legs. There seem to be similarly sized receptacles at both ends of the awning cassette and awning front.

My OCD is telling me I should have a similar pole at the other end, but I have nothing really to base that on. Otherwise I'd have to randomly "pick" one side...:eek:

I can see there would be some logic in making the wind out frame a bit more rigid or or supporting the fabric in the middle. Not sure poles at the end will help with fabric sagging unless additional clips are used

Searching turned up a few things which fellow funsters seem to use
  1. Thule Tension Rafter G2 - seems to be intended for the centre of the awning?
  2. Fiamma Awning Rafter - centre?
  3. Fiamma Awning Rafter Pro - curved, intended for centre but some have mentioned risk of stretching fabric?
  4. Fiamma Magic Rafter - seems to be lateral/side to side support?
  5. more custom/bespoke poles which seem to come some add-on sun or wind blockers e.g. Thule Side Smart Panels, Lilypad etc
What poles/rafters do you use with your wind out and why?
Should I have a pole at each end and/or the middle?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Middle for diddle again

Wind awning out slightly longer than pole, one end(with plastic end) goes in middle of awning case attached to van
The other inside the middle of main awning frame. Wind back in a touch to tension.
Job done đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
My Fiamma 4.5m awning came with a Fiamma straight (not curved) rafter which fits in the middle. I found that if it's a bit windy, the awning bar is fixed in the centre, but pivots around the end of the rafter.

I added two more straight rafters, one at each end. I had to buy and fit the brackets, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Now the frame is rigid, and if the support poles are fixed to the ground it's quite solid. I still wouldn't leave it out in a strong wind, but it's a lot better than it was.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you for your comments. Will take a look next time the awning is out - to see if I can use the Thule ropey tent-pole thingy in the middle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back