Adopting pets while full timing (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Have we any full timers on here that have adopted any pets?

I have been wanting to adopt a rescue dog for ages now and have actually found one close by to me that is looking for a home. The thing is a lot of the replies I get are saying living in a motorhome is not suitable.

I'm not disputing that they have a point but I know loads of members on here have dogs in their vans and I know Northernraider full times with his 2.

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea or not to be honest. Any thoughts?

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I would think full timing with a dog would be a great life for the dog! All that time being outside and not much time left alone in a house. I follow a few people online who full time with dogs and the dogs look very happy!

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I would think full timing with a dog would be a great life for the dog! All that time being outside and not much time left alone in a house. I follow a few people online who full time with dogs and the dogs look very happy!
A lot of the places I have emailed seem to be scared off when I mention I live in a motorhome. Probably think I am a gypsy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A lot of the places I have emailed seem to be scared off when I mention I live in a motorhome. Probably think I am a gypsy.

I would perhaps try and meet with them in person and explain all the benefits it will bring to the dog. Take the van to the rehoming shelter and perhaps even buy a bed for a dog and show them where it will go. A dogs life in a motorhome has got to be better than spending 5 days a week alone from 9am until 5pm while your human is at work, and waiting to be let out half way through your day to do your doggy business by the old lady from next door as so many dogs do.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As is the normal in this country it’s easier just to buy new than get second hand/rescue. To get a rescue you are going to have to jump through hoops, such as proving it will be safe, which includes the garden and loads of other details. Rescue is much simpler in other countries from what I’ve been told.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
As is the normal in this country it’s easier just to buy new than get second hand/rescue. To get a rescue you are going to have to jump through hoops, such as proving it will be safe, which includes the garden and loads of other details. Rescue is much simpler in other countries from what I’ve been told.

Yes, a "secure garden" was a condition when we adopted. So Dad and I spent a weekend building a fence of about 5.5 ft. Within the first five minutes of being home the little minx had jumped the thing. Straight over like a spring. Still, it satisfied the woman from the shelter. :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

If reincarnation is real I want to come back as one of exPAWers dogs. 😂

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Local pet rescue centres close to me are certainly very picky, insisting on a 6ft high fence, checking the home and other pets in the family and at the moment are not allowing any visitors to the centres.

Good Luck with this one.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Stay away from the rescue centres while in a van, either buy a dog privately or keep your hear to the ground. A friend of mine had a lovely whippet from an old lady who couldn't look after the dog anymore.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The couple that live opposite me who take rescue dogs in to see what they are like for the rescue charity had a dog come to them who they loved and wished to adopt themselves. They failed the test. Even though they had taken in over 50 dogs for the charity over the years.
Madness

If you know what breed you are after join their club on Facebook and you get people who need to rehome them. That’s certainly the case with working Spaniels

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It's strange because I hear a lot of people get abuse online for not taking a rescue dog when they share pics of their 2 grand new puppy.

Then when you do try and rehome an animal it's pretty darn difficult. Most of the sites I have looked at don't even have a phone number so when you email them trying to tell them your situation it's all the more easy for them to refuse you.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
My mates just fostered a dog.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.PNG
    IMG_2033.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We are looking for a dog at the moment. One of the re homing centres near us seemed very exacting in the type of home they wanted for the dogs.
We have had dogs since I was little, three were rescue dogs so I think we know how to look after a dog.
I mentioned that we are motorhomes and they said it would have to be a very tolerant dog to put up with the change of locations. Also we would have to be careful about children on the sites if the dog wasn’t used to them.
I was feeling bad enough about loosing our muttly after fifteen years but this conversation didn’t help. I am looking else were and not rushing.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
This might not be the right way to do things but if you have a house address couldn't you lie to rehoming centre I realise it's not ideal but I've just asked Marley what he thought of the idea and he said he would sooner live with a liar in a motorhome then in a kennel with company now and again and he should know because he came from Battersea

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Battersea didnt, even after telling me I would have to have 2 or 3 visits before they would let me have him on the first visit after about half an hour they said you may aswel take him with you

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have said this to others who have posted similar questions, wait for the Dog to come to you, there are plenty out there.
Set off on your travels and l guarantee a Dog will find you there are so many strays and abandoned ones out there and they will find you.
l have one almost 10 now found him wandering along the killer A340 road in Spain at 8.00am on a Sunday morning l couldn’t drive by and leave him,he’s fantastic we love him so much and he brings joy to our lives every minute of the day.
We spend 8 months a year in the MH and anywhere we return to he knows exactly we’re he is,amazing.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I have said this to others who have posted similar questions, wait for the Dog to come to you, there are plenty out there.
Set off on your travels and l guarantee a Dog will find you there are so many strays and abandoned ones out there and they will find you.
l have one almost 10 now found him wandering along the killer A340 road in Spain at 8.00am on a Sunday morning l couldn’t drive by and leave him,he’s fantastic we love him so much and he brings joy to our lives every minute of the day.
We spend 8 months a year in the MH and anywhere we return to he knows exactly we’re he is,amazing.
Well seen as we can't get much travelling done recently I've just been looking online through all the rehoming sites and I must say this is the only girl that really stood out to me. I mean just look at those eyes!!

20210312_164059.jpg

Maybe, just maybe a little bit too big for my wee B524 though ☹️

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
There are three ex racing Greyhounds at one of the rescue centres. They look lovely dogs but I am not sure. I would rather wait until we both feel it’s the one for us.
We have had a Border Collie complete with seven pups after four weeks. A tubby Terrier with long legs and a German Shepherd Collie cross. All rescue dogs. They just want to be with people rather than being locked up.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Maybe, just maybe a little bit too big for my wee B524 though ☹️
No matter the size they always take the best and most comfortable seat and squeeze us mere humans out....... Oh, and we gladly make room.
She will love you forever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back