Adopting pets while full timing (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How do you manage their prey drive? Don't they go after anything small and furry?A family member nearly rescued one and when she told them that there were cats , rabbits and squirrels around, she was told that it could be a problem with an ex racer.
Its not just greyhounds our Lily who's a Patterdale terrier will chase anything if she gets the chance, its down to the dog itself, some will just go off after anything, others nothing. A greyhound that has been 'taught' to chase small furry things can also be taught not to do it too, Hull Greyhound Trust has housed quite a few dogs into home with smaller dogs and cats without a problem.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Marley dog chases pretty much anything that has fur and lots of things that have feathers but it's a problem because I'm selectiveveher I let him off lead and I'm slowly training him to not chase things other than rats

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Off topic, but has anyone on this site actually been gassed on a French motorway aire?
This subject comes up several times every year since we joined a dozen years ago. No is the answer. There is no chemical in gas form that can knock you out without risking the lives of everyone in the van, including the burglars. Just search for gas attack on the forum to see all the scaremongering and facts.

ON TOPIC. We almost. When we lost our previous cats, we approached a rescue centre and they refused when they heard we travelled with them. We took two 10 year olds from a friend of a friend as the family were emigrating. They love being in the van. So, it's not just the dog rescue places with narrow minds. šŸ˜•

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
As is the normal in this country itā€™s easier just to buy new than get second hand/rescue. To get a rescue you are going to have to jump through hoops, such as proving it will be safe, which includes the garden and loads of other details. Rescue is much simpler in other countries from what Iā€™ve been told.
If the OP takes a trip to Greece, there are plenty of lovely abandoned dogs roaming the countryside. They're all looking for a loving home, and I doubt they will be bothered it's on wheels. Just pick one up! When I lived on Crete, all my British mates would regularly have lovely puppies dumped on their doorsteps......

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
This subject comes up several times every year since we joined a dozen years ago. No is the answer. There is no chemical in gas form that can knock you out without risking the lives of everyone in the van, including the burglars. Just search for gas attack on the forum to see all the scaremongering and facts.

ON TOPIC. We almost. When we lost our previous cats, we approached a rescue centre and they refused when they heard we travelled with them. We took two 10 year olds from a friend of a friend as the family were emigrating. They love being in the van. So, it's not just the dog rescue places with narrow minds. šŸ˜•
I rather thought that would be the case.....re the gassing nonsense....

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
If the OP takes a trip to Greece, there are plenty of lovely abandoned dogs roaming the countryside. They're all looking for a loving home, and I doubt they will be bothered it's on wheels. Just pick one up! When I lived on Crete, all my British mates would regularly have lovely puppies dumped on their doorsteps......
Yup, we spend a lot of time out there and you see some real stunners, especially the Greek sheep dog types. Big bears but really nice natured generally. People frequently dump puppies at the boatyard we keep our boat at, because they know us softies will feed them. It's heartbreaking, but it seems that most Greeks still don't agree with spaying their animals.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Its a lovely way for a dog to live if you give it plenty excersise it every day. Especially if you move around, all those new scents, different places to pee.

A dog only then needs enough space to curl up, and to have the company in the evening is brilliant.
Go for it and lets see the pics :)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Its a lovely way for a dog to live if you give it plenty excersise it every day. Especially if you move around, all those new scents, different places to pee.

A dog only then needs enough space to curl up, and to have the company in the evening is brilliant.
Go for it and lets see the pics :)
All our dogs want (admittedly they are elderly) is a warm bed and company and the odd potter around. The motorhome life is a fantastic life for a dog.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
It's looking that way for us. We seem to be too old!!!!! The forms you fill in don't give you space to say that family have agreed to take over if we should die first. I will persevere even if I have to wait for one of the 83 dogs to be released.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yup, we spend a lot of time out there and you see some real stunners, especially the Greek sheep dog types. Big bears but really nice natured generally. People frequently dump puppies at the boatyard we keep our boat at, because they know us softies will feed them. It's heartbreaking, but it seems that most Greeks still don't agree with spaying their animals.
Basically being ignorant

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I had an informative chat with a guy from Dogs Trust near Leeds. He was very reassuring about us adopting a dog to replace muttly.
When I mentioned about our motorhome travels and walking he said it would be a great life for a dog. Being retired we would have plenty of time to help a dog settle in.
With regards to travel distance we are just outside the stipulated hour travelling time but that wasnā€™t anything they were concerned about. The restriction should be lifted soon.
Compared to other re homing centres they were a lot more realistic and understanding.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Filled in the forms for Dogs Trust for adopting one of there dogs yesterday. They contacted me today saying we had been approved but the dog we had chosen had been adopted.
They have a huge waiting list at the moment so we will have to patient.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That's another plus for Greyhounds... they're great travelling. Just so used to being transported in vans, just lie down & go to sleep.

AFAIK, no waiting lists either.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Ok thanks. Thatā€™s not one in my Yorkshire book of words. Itā€™s getting a bit late for thinking now so I am going to start again with a clear head tomorow.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I thought getting another dog would take time but so far I have filled in adoption forms for five dogs. I missed one by hours, three have been no replies but the latest one is being processed.
I had to get management to take photos of the garden and show me how to send them via an E Mail. Next we have to tell our vet we are having an assessment done via them.
The last three dogs we adopted it was a matter of walk round the kennels and take youā€™re pick followed by a home visit.
If this is what it takes to adopt a dog living in a house I can only think it must be a nightmare being a full timer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If this is what it takes to adopt a dog living in a house I can only think it must be a nightmare being a full timer.
Retired Greyhound Trust - much more pragmatic:

aea796de9202e6fc01fe26dba6515ae4_copy_800x796.jpg

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I thought getting another dog would take time but so far I have filled in adoption forms for five dogs. I missed one by hours, three have been no replies but the latest one is being processed.
I had to get management to take photos of the garden and show me how to send them via an E Mail. Next we have to tell our vet we are having an assessment done via them.
The last three dogs we adopted it was a matter of walk round the kennels and take youā€™re pick followed by a home visit.
Trying to adopt a dog from one of the charities that claim to have the animals best interest at heart when you are a fulltimer is impossible, if it isn't I must be very unlucky. I've had Cockers and Springers whilst living on a narrowboat, caravans, and MH's, never had a problem. I don't cut the mustard for the charities mind.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our daughter said I should look for a Whippet because I have a flat cap.
Or a ferret ... :giggle:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Years ago we didnā€™t have trouble adopting from WG but recently Iā€™ve asked after a couple of dogs from Dogs Trust and theyā€™ve basically put me off and that was before telling them we are in a van!

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
That must be why there is such a clamour to adopt Romanian Rescue dogs. Someone in our village has started asking for donations and is getting interest from potential adopters. Their story is that dogs in our rescue centres are well cared for and that the Rommies are priority. I don't think it's good for any dog to be in kennels so I will persevere with Dogs Trust.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I think the change of attitude towards re homing dogs is all down to liability in case you take the dog back if it dosnt mach youā€™re idea of what you wanted.
Our first dog produced seven pups not long after we adopted her. The local re homing centre said we should have known she was pregnant. We didnā€™t take that further but there attitude wouldnt be taken lightly now. They closed the following year due to financial difficulties.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Adopting another dog is becoming exasperating. I had a phone call this afternoon from the re homing centre.
They now want a walk round video of the garden including any gates or posable escape routes. I think they are working on the great escape plans. Surely three foot brick walls with three foot panels on the top and a six foot brick wall by the dinning room door plus a six foot gate should slow most dogs.
Its got to stage of sod it. Do they really want to re home dogs. Do we give up and learn to live without a dog.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Ours is a rescue dog. He's 35kg of mostly German Shepherd with some other bits thrown in for good measure. When we got him he had sever abandonment issues and a lack of trust and confidence in general. Three years later he's the gentlest, most loving dog you could hope to meet, but also, a little "scary" looking and with a "big dog" bark. He bloody loves the van and his travels. He would hate to not come away with us and we feel safer when he is with us, especially when "wild camping" as he's a warm, furry alarm system!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back