Additonal 12v sockets (2 Viewers)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Looking to add 2 USB ports and a cigarette socket to the rear habitation area over the bed
to make it easier to charge mobile phones and plug a fan in.

Can I ask is is best to fed into the battery, fuse box or to tap into an existing connection.
If tap into existing can I use the light switch?

Can anyone recommend the best type of plugs/ports to use, I was thinking these?

Or would it be better to put 2 individual ones in?

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you connect directly to the battery you will need to add an in-line fuse (10A say or 5A if the fan doesn't take much current) and a switch. The USB socket will draw a very small current when not in use so you need to be able to isolate it and of course this is safer than having it running all the time. It might fail and catch fire.
If you connect to the lighting system you need to check the fuses won't blow when you connect the fan by adding up all the amps being used by everything on the lighting circuit and include the fan. The USB socket shouldn't take much more than 1A but allow say 2A for a bit of leeway.
That combination socket looks neat. The only downside is it doesn't have two USB outlets of 2A+ as I've found the 1A outlets are useless for charging tablets unless the tablet is switched off.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I've had the sockets you linked to and they are fine, you can also get similar with 2 x 2.1 amp outlets, personally. I would think your power Broken Link Removed would be dependant on what is near to the proposed location, bearing in mind what power you need, phones use little, fans I have no idea about.

Hopefully The Pencil will see this and comment ( @Lenny HB )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I've had the sockets you linked to and they are fine, you can also get similar with 2 x 2.1 amp outlets, personally. I would think your power Broken Link Removed would be dependant on what is near to the proposed location, bearing in mind what power you need, phones use little, fans I have no idea about.

Hopefully The Pencil will see this and comment ( @Lenny HB )
Not seen the 2 x 2.1a anyone got a link to one?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've got one permanently wired to the leisure batter with an inline fuse. Had to put one in for the TV and I use a 3 socket adapter on it to charge my phone or tablet.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but make sure the inline fuse is reachable when you fit the socket. I notice the fitter who put ours in has very kindly left the fuse holder accessible.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but make sure the inline fuse is reachable when you fit the socket. I notice the fitter who put ours in has very kindly left the fuse holder accessible.
Thx gonna look to do myself although steep learning curve for me. Can I be cheeky and ask how much your fitter charged?

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Honestly if you can run a feed direct from the battery with inline fuse then this would be the best option.

If you start looking at using lighting feeds then sometimes these are not always live when the lights are turned off.

Reactions: DBK

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thx gonna look to do myself although steep learning curve for me. Can I be cheeky and ask how much your fitter charged?

Nothing - it was one of a number of free extras we got when we bought the MH. It always pays to be cheeky and ask :)

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Honestly if you can run a feed direct from the battery with inline fuse then this would be the best option.

If you start looking at using lighting feeds then sometimes these are not always live when the lights are turned off.
Well looking at over bed at back of van which is over top of batteries so sbe easy enough just need to work our best route and best place to put sockets. Would inline fuse be best in garage for easy access?

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Well looking at over bed at back of van which is over top of batteries so sbe easy enough just need to work our best route and best place to put sockets. Would inline fuse be best in garage for easy access?
Yeh good idea, put the fuse at the batteries as generally an easy place to access in the unlikely event to need to access it.

I would try and look at see if you could trace along the overhead cupboards across the top and come into a wardrobe to get down which in turn will hide the cabling as an example and run back to the battery?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I fitted one of these last year on the shelf under the TV mount and above the bed.
s-l64.jpg

Works a treat and looks good. Most things charge off a USB nowadays.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I fitted one of these last year on the shelf under the TV mount and above the bed.
s-l64.jpg

Works a treat and looks good. Most things charge off a USB nowadays.
Cheers not sure on benefit of volt meter mind you.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I did see somewhere that someone had fitted similar sockets in an overhead cupboard... reasoning being hidden cabling, somewhere to put whatever is being charged, secure ie out of sight, door hides annoying LED's.
The only negative to this, in my mind, is how hot do the tablet/phone batteries get whilst being charged, and being in an enclosed space.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I would never put in a cupboard we have a open shelf over the bed in between to cupboards which is where I am planning on putting my sockets. Easy reach and open ventilation.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
1mm 1
1mm 16A will be fine. The main thing is not to use a wire with a solid conductor of the type used in domestic wiring. These can fracture in a vehicle due to vibration. Technically, this is because the copper can "work harden" and become much stiffer and eventually cracks propagate at a point of stress, typically where the wire is fixed at say a terminal. The multi-conductor wires are what you need when things might move. :)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought works well charges a crappad OK, I mounted in a panel with a switch connected to a nearby 12v socket.
It is pot luck with the cheap Chinese ones they all look the same but some are better than other.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cheers not sure on benefit of volt meter mind you.
I guess if you don't have a voltmeter that would be one way of installing one, and a lot cheaper than the purpose built jobs. :) I wouldn't be without our voltmeter, without it you don't know the state of discharge of the leisure batteries.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I guess if you don't have a voltmeter that would be one way of installing one, and a lot cheaper than the purpose built jobs. :) I wouldn't be without our voltmeter, without it you don't know the state of discharge of the leisure batteries.
We got volt meter in control panel for engine and leisure batteries

Reactions: DBK

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/ Do a nice line in C-line sockets switches etc which match the square sockets I see in most MHs. They have the 3 pin 240V ones, 12V cigarette lighter type and one that has 2 USBs (2.1A & 1A) so good for phones, tablets etc. Ensure you put a fuse in line. If fitting more than one you can get a small spade type fuse box from Halfords or Amazon for a few pounds

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
What inline switch does peeps us?

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
one that matches what is already in use, cbe or berker are common and you can choose a trim to match existing
Having probs finding a high rated one, best i can find is 6amp, I know my inline fuse will be 25 or 30a as def need 15a for fan so best to go higher.
However thinking of having an inline switch so the sockets are not perm live when not in use

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Having probs finding a high rated one, best i can find is 6amp, I know my inline fuse will be 25 or 30a as def need 15a for fan so best to go higher.
However thinking of having an inline switch so the sockets are not perm live when not in use
the simple solution is add a basic relay. use the switch to control power to the relay and the relay contacts will conduct 30amps easily. just make sure the wiring you use can handle that current plus 10% at least

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back