ADDING A BLACK TANK (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
TBH, in Europe and UK, a black tank is a PITA. Almost nowhere has suitable dumping facilities, even with a macerator and a length of flat hose. Unless you exclusively plan to dump at home, I'd stick with a cassette.
We are on our way home from 3 months in Spain and Portugal, and it's easier to empty our black and grey tanks there than in England. We have had US rv's for over 12 years, and never had a problem emptying.
It's simple, and we can last for a week, we run out of fresh water first.

Craig

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I do remember seeing an Rv with a pump out system being pumped out at Malvern show compleat with the cowboy hat,
all seemed to be going well with the pipe wedged under the manhole cover,
the next thing it was like a serpent spraying everywhere luckily I took refuge in the toilets until the drama was back under control but there was a lot of it all over the ground and got a fair number of people, needless to say some were quite angry 🤣

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We dont do much uk, but when we have if the facilities are not up to it we just take it with us, its easily 1o days if not longer. Ive no idea why youre trying to dump black waste in someones shower block

It's because many campsites have their chemical disposal points in the shower block.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Was it you ? 🤣 I suspect it was a blockage with a pressure build up.
😂😂
1654934975596.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
I think i have found the system that Steve and Denise have although it seems to be obsolete. Apparently it is only possible on a C263s type Thetford and the pump they use is expensive and unavailable.

So plan B is to get a replacement cassette mechanism and plastic welding/glueing it to an 'adaptor'. The adaptor will attach to a flexible pipe which descends to the black tank. The adaptor/cassette mech. will slide onto the 'tracks' of the bottom of the bog as would the cassette but would need some kind of stop as the cassette would normally stop in the right place. The adaptor would then be sealed to the bog in just the same way as the cassette ever was.

The flexible pipe will allow the adaptor/mechanism to be withdrawn and moved aside when/if i want to refit a cassette. only issue i foresee at the moment (why do i say these things!) is maybe there isn;t enough room for the moveable adaptor in the cassette area and it's environs.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Im
I think i have found the system that Steve and Denise have although it seems to be obsolete. Apparently it is only possible on a C263s type Thetford and the pump they use is expensive and unavailable.

So plan B is to get a replacement cassette mechanism and plastic welding/glueing it to an 'adaptor'. The adaptor will attach to a flexible pipe which descends to the black tank. The adaptor/cassette mech. will slide onto the 'tracks' of the bottom of the bog as would the cassette but would need some kind of stop as the cassette would normally stop in the right place. The adaptor would then be sealed to the bog in just the same way as the cassette ever was.

The flexible pipe will allow the adaptor/mechanism to be withdrawn and moved aside when/if i want to refit a cassette. only issue i foresee at the moment (why do i say these things!) is maybe there isn;t enough room for the moveable adaptor in the cassette area and it's environs.
not surprised it’s obsolete it was rubbish to be honest,
I think the macerate type are a totally different thing👍

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
I couldn't find any information about how it worked but it doesn't look great with the thing plugged into the top of cassette.

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
Thread Revival:

We never got round to doing a black tank conversion last year but I did buy some of the bits. Anyway, restarting the project ready for this summer I have realised that the cassette flap mechanism is going to be very difficult to work around if I try and make an adapter to go in place of the cassette itself. Also, in buying a pump last year with the intention of transfering grey water into the black tank to flush it out whilst also emptying the grey I later realised that i had inadvertently bought the no-longer-unavailable Thetford pump but made by Jabsco.
So, I am going to try to recreate the Thetford pump-out system (for all it's faults). I have just ordered the other parts from Camping Wagner in Germany and I was wondering if anyone has the operating instructions which I can't find online anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
For the cassette adapter, why not use the cassette itself but plumb sn outlet directly into that?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thread Revival:

We never got round to doing a black tank conversion last year but I did buy some of the bits. Anyway, restarting the project ready for this summer I have realised that the cassette flap mechanism is going to be very difficult to work around if I try and make an adapter to go in place of the cassette itself. Also, in buying a pump last year with the intention of transfering grey water into the black tank to flush it out whilst also emptying the grey I later realised that i had inadvertently bought the no-longer-unavailable Thetford pump but made by Jabsco.
So, I am going to try to recreate the Thetford pump-out system (for all it's faults). I have just ordered the other parts from Camping Wagner in Germany and I was wondering if anyone has the operating instructions which I can't find online anywhere?

Thanks in advance.
Keep us all informed. I like the idea/principle although the MHF weight police may advise against it ...

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
For the cassette adapter, why not use the cassette itself but plumb sn outlet directly into that?
That's basically what i'm doing but the flap mechanism is tricky to incorporate. Rather than have the cassette adapter act as a "pass through" where it would be very difficult to find a way to seal the lower connection, the Thetford system pumps upwards which means the cassette stays intact and can be disconnected and removed if I want to chuck a standard cassette in there.
The pump connection replaces the emptying spout on the cassette.
I've got the pump and tank and various sized pipes and fittings and I've ordered all the Thetford parts from Wagner for 125 euros.

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
Received my parts from Camping Wagner today but realised that I was wrong: the fitting doesn't go in place of the emptying spout and in fact probably won't fit on my cassette at all unless I can engineer something.
It only fits the c260 and I have a c200, I don't suppose if I bought a c260 cassette it would fit in my c200 toilet?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Received my parts from Camping Wagner today but realised that I was wrong: the fitting doesn't go in place of the emptying spout and in fact probably won't fit on my cassette at all unless I can engineer something.
It only fits the c260 and I have a c200, I don't suppose if I bought a c260 cassette it would fit in my c200 toilet?

This is all starting to sound like a bit of a bummer😮‍💨

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have own a winnebago since 2005 in that time I have done 66,000 miles, I have had to use a macerator once.
Every CCC or CMC I been to have facilities or will lift a drain cover for you as will private sites.
The Aire at Canterbury P&R only has a removable grid over a sewer for everyone.
The Aire at Le Crotoy is one you would need a macerator for but why bother your only there 3 days, so off to the next site as they likely will.

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
1000 litres, that should last a good while... heaven forbid someone rear-ends you though.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back