Add Blue (1 Viewer)

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
New 180 hp 2021 Ducato Based Carthago

We are adding 5 lit of add blue each 400-500 miles after the warning light comes on, this is equates to over 1 litre per 100 miles is this normal ? this is 5 times more than our car uses!

If this is correct it would be better to pump supply it ? its not funny to be holding 5 or 10 litres waiting to drip feed add blue into the tank.

Thanks Andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can you not fill it right up? Seen it on forecourts but mostly by lorry fuelling

I have no idea how much they hold but our Mercedes car hasn’t had a drop added in 2500 miles, my hope is it will last between servicing 👍

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds high.
My Citroen Relay base has had one refill of its 15 litre tank at 8k miles. About 10 litres.
[This was after a sensor & wiring issue early on.]
Now done 13k +
Refill done at pump...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Andy Martin

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Did not think it has a big tank so never tried to fill it to the brim, the add blue warning light has come on 2 times now just prior to filling it with diesel, each time we have put in 5 litre of add blue.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years

We are adding 5 lit of add blue each 400-500 miles after the warning light comes on, this is equates to over 1 litre per 100 miles is this normal ? this is 5 times more than our car uses!

If this is correct it would be better to pump supply it ? its not funny to be holding 5 or 10 litres waiting to drip feed add blue into the tank.

Thanks Andy
I have got one of these, If you get it lined up correctly with the filler there is no leakage and will transfer quite quickly. When the tank is full it stops flowing and you can remove it without spilling any

Amazon product ASIN B0195973DI

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999

Thanks Andy
We have same 180 bhp auto 2020 from new light came on at 750 miles but thought it may not have been full when new, filled up took eight litre after further 800 miles light came on took seven litre to fill so very similar consumption to yours going to check if this is normal when it goes in for it's second nox sensor to be fitted when it finally arrives been on order for two months now.
that green chem adblue looks expensive been paying £7.24 for 10 litres at local hardware shop.
My Merc sprinter did 300mls to a litre and had a proper gauge to check the level much more sensible arrangement

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
We have same 180 bhp auto 2020 from new light came on at 750 miles but thought it may not have been full when new, filled up took eight litre after further 800 miles light came on took seven litre to fill so very similar consumption to yours going to check if this is normal when it goes in for it's second nox sensor to be fitted when it finally arrives been on order for two months now.
that green chem adblue looks expensive been paying £7.24 for 10 litres at local hardware shop.
My Merc sprinter did 300mls to a litre and had a proper gauge to check the level much more sensible arrangement
Yes it is expensive but is a one off purchase as you can re use the container and filling device.
I just fill up at the farm when no one watching;)

OP
OP
Andy Martin

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
my Motor home has been to the fiat garage with no faults found so we will have to put up with using 1 lit of addblue to 100 miles which i think is crazy

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
There's is another thread running with exactly the same question on AdBlue consumption, but 1Ltr per 100 miles is taking the Pee, literally.:giggle:
I would get it checked out by Fiat or MH dealer if they do servicing, as that sounds like something is wrong to me.
Our 220BHP 4x4 BMW car hasn't needed to be topped up in 8K miles.
Good luck, let us know when you get it checked over.
LES

OP
OP
Andy Martin

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
The motor home dealer took it to the Fiat Garage , here is there reply !

The vehicle came back from Fiat yesterday for the Ad Blu and they have done numerous tests and no faults were found

OP
OP
Andy Martin

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Its a New 2021 with 1200 miles on it so far we have added 10 litres add blue light comes on the same time as we require fuel, this is how we know how much it is using, the tank takes around 15 litre we were advised when empty.

OP
OP
Andy Martin

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
sorry no add blue is cheaper :cool:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
There's is another thread running with exactly the same question on AdBlue consumption, but 1Ltr per 100 miles is taking the Pee, literally.:giggle:
I would get it checked out by Fiat or MH dealer if they do servicing, as that sounds like something is wrong to me.
Our 220BHP 4x4 BMW car hasn't needed to be topped up in 8K miles.
Good luck, let us know when you get it checked over.
LES
About the same on our BMW.
9ltr AdBlue tank, which gives around 10-11,000 mile range.

1ltr per 100 miles, sound like someone has a leak

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously

The vehicle came back from Fiat yesterday for the Ad Blu and they have done numerous tests and no faults were found
Hi Andy, I dont agree with Fiats findings on the Adblue test, as when I googled average consumption of Adblue on a modern cars is 8 to 10K miles per 9 litre tank.
Then I found this info, to see how the Adblue systems works, and there is an Ablue Injection Control unit.
I really do wonder if many people/mechanics know enough about Adblue systems, to know how to make necessary tests or adjustments.
LES

What is SCR technology for trucks, buses, off-road vehicles and cars?​

"SCR" is the name of a post-combustion technology treatment for diesel vehicles, which allows them to reduce their harmful emissions of NOx (nitrogen oxides). SCR stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction. This technology requires the use of a reagent called AdBlue. Almost all of the main engine manufacturers use this technology to meet the requirements of new legislation on NOx (Nitrogen oxides) emissions.

The main components of the SCR system are the:

• SCR catalyst
  • AdBlue Fluid injection unit
  • AdBlue tank
  • AdBlue injection control unit.

How does AdBlue work with SCR technology?​

AdBlue is injected from the vehicle’s dedicated AdBlue storage tank into the exhaust pipe, which is in front of the SCR catalyst, but downstream of the engine. As it is heated in the exhaust, the AdBlue changes into ammonia (NH₃) and carbon dioxide (CO₂). When the nitrogen oxide (NOx) gases from the exhaust pipe react inside the catalyst with the ammonia, the harmful NOx molecules in the exhaust are converted into harmless nitrogen and water, which is released to the atmosphere as steam.

Do I need to maintain my vehicle’s SCR system?​

The SCR system is installed in your vehicle by the manufacturer and works automatically. You do not need to maintain or modify it. AdBlue is automatically injected into the exhaust depending on your vehicle engine’s load. As for adjusting the consumption, the level of AdBlue consumption is determined by the vehicle manufacturer.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Adblue usage is going up per mile to meet the emission standards the new Fiat's have a host of new stuff engine to meet the euro 6D temp standard, be it smart alternators, electronic fuel pumps etc and the adblue usage turned up.

Also cars are a lot lighter than motorhomes so not comparable really.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
As stated in another thread our 3.0Itr Iveco uses 1ltr per 100 miles the Iveco dealers say this is acceptable

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003

If it were me, I'd be asking the dealer questions about what tests and what are the results - in detail. I'd then want to know what the manufacturer estimates the usage to be expected and what are comparative figures from other users. Did the dealer advise you what the cost and consumption of AdBlue was likely to be?

If this stuff is supposed to be injected in a controlled, metered fashion and the metering is wrong, what effect does this have on the emissions it is supposed to be controlling? What effect does an overdose have on the SCR catalyst?

If you find that your vehicle is seriously abnormal in this, I'd be thinking about rejection as they have tried and failed to fix it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back