Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 8, 2022
Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
carthago 143 le
Exp
15 years
i expect this has come up before. the 10 litre bottle of adblu from halfords has a filler pipe which does not reach the plate in the filler tube. i have a narrow piece of rubber tube with a funnel. this is less than ideal, as i end up with soaking shoes and trousers. must be a better way. perhaps wearing waders and wellies! bright ideas anyone?

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a cheap syphon pump works well without having the need to hold up and tip 10kg or even 20kg with the bigger and better price per litre containers

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have the same problem and use a pump like the one shown as you say the plastic spout is not long enough to open the flap in the filler neck,
also forecourt pumps won’t fit☹️ Just another crap idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Have a look at the VW filler. Screws one end to the container and the other to your tank if you have the threaded inlet.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We found a funnel with a removeable spout for sale at the Peterborough show. Makes the process much easier although we still don’t know when the tank is coming up to full so still a spill risk.

Upvote 1
Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I don't know of any fuel stations near me that supply AdBlu at the pumps. They all supply it in 10l containers. Am i missing it at the pumps?

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I don't know of any fuel stations near me that supply AdBlu at the pumps. They all supply it in 10l containers. Am i missing it at the pumps?

They’re usually near the LGV pumps……but I use containers as I top up every 1000 miles, so going to a garage to top up with about 3.5 litres isn’t worth it. (y)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
i expect this has come up before. the 10 litre bottle of adblu from halfords has a filler pipe which does not reach the plate in the filler tube. i have a narrow piece of rubber tube with a funnel. this is less than ideal, as i end up with soaking shoes and trousers. must be a better way. perhaps wearing waders and wellies! bright ideas anyone?
we had the same issue Friday, ended up with wet feet initially but just really squeezed the filler spout together and jammed it in the hole!! Have learned from that lesson and will now purchase a funnel just in case tho :sneaky:

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t you need a funnel with longer than normal “ exit tube” to reach the flap and force it open? We use the containers from Halfords with their own spout. It does fit and work in our Ducatto van. Still not easy to do. It takes both of us to lift and hold the 10l container at the correct angle.
I have no idea of any local fuel station with Adblock pumps, and quite frankly it would really worry me to use in case I did something wrong or it was too fierce or something. There is usually no one to help you at fuel stations. It worries us every time we have to fill up the lpg.

Upvote 0

Brightonbelle

Free Member
Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
I use a long very thin electricians screwdriver alongside the Halfords spout. It is long enough to push the Peugeot boxer flap open. I also add 5l and then decant the remaining 5 litres into a smaller container and store upright in a deep tray in the moho, well away from any copper cables. Anybody know what price per litre adblu is at filling station pumps?

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Just do like I do. My Mercedes drinks it. I am now thinking of towing an Ad Blue pump behind me.
I reckon I must do 15l every 3 months.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I drive vans etc for a living and many a time I’ve collected a vehicle with critically low AdBlue. The best advice I can give any of you is to forget Halfords 10litre plastic cans as the contents seem to go anywhere but down the neck of the AdBlue filler tube. Instead find the nearest fuel station which has an AdBlue dispenser and fill up from that. That way, it doesn’t go all over your clothes. You can fill right up to the brim with exact amount and only pay for same. You don’t have to wait until your AdBlue warning light comes on, just keep it topped up if you see a dispenser.

Upvote 0

yelkcut nomis

Free Member
Oct 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido 896F
Whilst on the subject of Adblue were you owners that use it aware that the system can ‘crystallise ‘ internally causing massive potential problems with the system. A commercial product is available to stop the crystals forming. (See pic) . I buy this from my local garage adding one bottle every 2 Thousand miles or so.
9789EB53-812C-4F9C-AACC-AA4E5D6CDCF2.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
The 5 litre Halfords AdBlu container has a much longer spout. Buy one and keep the spout, it fits the 10 litre container. Works for me!

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I use a long very thin electricians screwdriver alongside the Halfords spout. It is long enough to push the Peugeot boxer flap open. I also add 5l and then decant the remaining 5 litres into a smaller container and store upright in a deep tray in the moho, well away from any copper cables. Anybody know what price per litre adblu is at filling station pumps?
Last time I filled think it was £1,25 a litre.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Whilst on the subject of Adblue were you owners that use it aware that the system can ‘crystallise ‘ internally causing massive potential problems with the system. A commercial product is available to stop the crystals forming. (See pic) . I buy this from my local garage adding one bottle every 2 Thousand miles or so.View attachment 674877
Thanks for that info.

We have a 1 year old/10,000 miles Citroen Berlingo.

It came up with a warning message that there was an AdBlu problem and we had 750 miles to fix it.
First visit to the dealer, they resent the system, problem went away for 30 miles and then returned.
Second visit to the dealer, they replaced the filter jet, problem went away for 10 miles and then returned.
Third visit to the dealer, they replaced the AdBlu tank and all the associated plumbing. 250 miles and the problem has gone away.
Luckily all covered by Citroen warranty, so only cost me 3 train fares and the inconvenience.

When talking to the receptionist I found out the dealers had 3 more cars in the parking area with exactly the same issue.
Citroen now have a 2 week turn around on AdBlu tanks as they can't make them fast enough.

She even had other dealers of Peugeot and Vauxhall calling up to see if they could get Citroen tanks as Pergeot and Vauxhall have even longer lead times!!

It's all caused by the AdBlu crystallising in the tanks, as apparently they are badly designed.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
Great topic, I was going to raise the consumption rate at the first service later this month on my 2021 Swift Escape, I estimate I’m using 1 ltr for every hundred miles, I though that was excessive but probably not if other posts are similar

Upvote 1

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Thanks for that info.

We have a 1 year old/10,000 miles Citroen Berlingo.

It came up with a warning message that there was an AdBlu problem and we had 750 miles to fix it.
First visit to the dealer, they resent the system, problem went away for 30 miles and then returned.
Second visit to the dealer, they replaced the filter jet, problem went away for 10 miles and then returned.
Third visit to the dealer, they replaced the AdBlu tank and all the associated plumbing. 250 miles and the problem has gone away.
Luckily all covered by Citroen warranty, so only cost me 3 train fares and the inconvenience.

When talking to the receptionist I found out the dealers had 3 more cars in the parking area with exactly the same issue.
Citroen now have a 2 week turn around on AdBlu tanks as they can't make them fast enough.

She even had other dealers of Peugeot and Vauxhall calling up to see if they could get Citroen tanks as Pergeot and Vauxhall have even longer lead times!!

It's all caused by the AdBlu crystallising in the tanks, as apparently they are badly designed.
The systems are not fit for purpose. Most manufacturers have problems.

Am amazed this isn’t bigger news. But there seems to be a blackout over it all.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
2020 manual gearbox Boxer 140 bhp. On delivery adblue tank not full - estimated about 10 litres filled. Filled to brim at 1029 miles - this is where the stats start. Current miles 8025 - filled adblue yesterday. Adblue consumption is averaging 3.29 L per 1000 miles. Usage is reducing - compared to 3.41 L per 1000 miles at 4641 miles. Fuel MPG is improving as the miles are increasing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back