Accident in Italy. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Morning all. My daughter has been touring Italy with her boyfriend in a T5. All has gone well until yesterday, when an idiot Italian van driver reversed into her vehicle causing a considerable amount of damage! They were lucky enough to find a willing witness who spoke English and Italian and they completed the accident form we all carry with us abroad. The van driver admitted responsibility and many photos of the scene were taken including dashcam footage. The offending driver had a six month trade insurance policy ( 3rd party fire and theft) . She is camped up 30mins from the scene of the accident and I wondered if she should have or should now notify the local police in order to process the claim. She has been in touch with her broker (Adrian Flux) who directed her to a less than helpful underwriter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Cheers Andrea. Will have a look. Hope you and Mike are well x.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sorry to hear this Rob, worst nightmare while away ☹️

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Thanks Paul. He's made a right mess of the van. It's driveable, assisted by loads of gaffer tape holding the headlight and mirror together!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Oh sorry to read this Rob. I hope they can get things sorted without too much red tape.

Glad that they are both unharmed 💜

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks Paul. He's made a right mess of the van. It's driveable, assisted by loads of gaffer tape holding the headlight and mirror together!
Headlight to mirror 😳 is the indicator still working? Can perhaps do without the headlight but not the indicator.
Oh Italy, forget that last remark. The don’t use them there much :doh:

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Haha! Given the damage to the nearside front end, it's a wonder anything in that cluster works!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
What's the plan of action Rob? Are they going to try and get it repaired (or partially repaired to enable them to continue) or will it be recovered?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
In Italy ourselves at the mo. You really do need to be a defensive driver at all times. They can, and will do anything!

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We had a a prang in Italy many years ago en-route to the ferry at Ancona. You don't have to call the police if there are no injuries or no serious damage, or criminal liability. The police did get involved in our accident as they were passing at the time and very helpful they were. I think as long as you fill out the the European accident form then it should be ok. On the downside, UK insurance companies are no longer obliged to deal with European accident claims themselves, apparently, therefore your daughter may have to deal with the foreign insurance company herself. It's good to hear no one was injured, I hope they get things sorted soon.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to read this Rob but glad they are both ok . And it’s always good to pick up funster practical advice and experience.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Cheers everyone. They've been contacted by the insurers and are now heading North towards Switzerland. I've forwarded advice as Funsters have given it, so thank you. I hope all are well this morning 👍.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
We had a a prang in Italy many years ago en-route to the ferry at Ancona. You don't have to call the police if there are no injuries or no serious damage, or criminal liability. The police did get involved in our accident as they were passing at the time and very helpful they were. I think as long as you fill out the the European accident form then it should be ok. On the downside, UK insurance companies are no longer obliged to deal with European accident claims themselves, apparently, therefore your daughter may have to deal with the foreign insurance company herself. It's good to hear no one was injured, I hope they get things sorted soon.
How longs that been , NFU dealt with Deutsche post no probs when their van hit my RV in Germany since "B" ? :) no damage more than a scratch to the awning leg , cant say the same about his mirror !

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Cheers everyone. They've been contacted by the insurers and are now heading North towards Switzerland. I've forwarded advice as Funsters have given it, so thank you. I hope all are well this morning 👍.
If they need someone to have a chat to bit of venting we are at Camping Lido at lake Maggiore here with my wife and dog. Here till Saturday if they are headed this way. Beers chilling by the Lake. VW fan here had a T4 T5 camper in the past and a wee Caddy pick up.
Kenny. 👌

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
How longs that been , NFU dealt with Deutsche post no probs when their van hit my RV in Germany since "B" ? :) no damage more than a scratch to the awning leg , cant say the same about his mirror !
The accident was three days ago. I hear NFU are good, not sure about their insurer. This is when you find out how good your insurance company is!

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
What's the plan of action Rob? Are they going to try and get it repaired (or partially repaired to enable them to continue) or will it be recovered?
Hi Neil. It's driveable, so they are continuing their tour and get estimates in the UK. They have clarified this with the insurer. There was an option to get Italian estimates and indeed get the work done there. She needs to be back at work in nine days. Hope Merilyn is feeling better.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I was trying hard not to mention the b word! Before 31/01/22 insurance companies had to deal with it, now they don't but some will as in your case. Fair play to NFU.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

Funster
Jan 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta 65TL
Are they home now?
Hi Helen. Yes, they got back on Saturday. I was pleased they didn't rush back, but enjoyed their original plans! I see you've visited France again, some of your stopovers brought back some happy memories, Le Crotoy, Treport, old favourites x.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
That document doesn’t say much IMO. Just an advert for the insurance company

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun