Access to leisure battery terminals (1 Viewer)

MarkP46

Free Member
Aug 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi all. I am hoping to be able to connect a briefcase style solar panel to our leisure battery when we need too. However the battery is under the drivers seat with no access other than taking the drivers seat out. Dont want to do that everytime! Is there a way of adding some additional terminals in an easier to access location to allow me to connect solar much easier? The panel will have mppt controller etc. The van is a fiat ducato x250 dethleffs. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There should already be a jump post under the BONNET. Breakdown techy has to be able to jump start without removing the seat.
Possibly a red cover with a large + embossed on it.
Negative lead can be clipped to any suitable earth point

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
There is a connection under the bonnet the positive one is shrouded and may take a bit of finding.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MarkP46

Free Member
Aug 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks Pappajohn. The jump points under the bonnet are for the engine battery only. I need to connect to the leisure battery.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There should already be a jump post under the BONNET. Breakdown techy has to be able to jump start without removing the seat.
There is a connection under the bonnet the positive one is shrouded and may take a bit of finding.(y)

Pay attention at the back! 🤣

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That only connects to the starter battery it's the leisure battery thats under the seat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could fit a plug & socket, Anderson connectors are quite good. You really don't want to be connecting with croc clips to easy to have a short & start a fire.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There are a number of suitable plug/socket combinations possible, but there is not a recognised standard solution so it's a matter of picking one and using it. Whatever you use, make sure you put a fuse in the positive wire.

The panels often come with standard MC4 solar connectors, which are good but they are difficult to take apart. Easy with the inexpensive plastic disconnector tool, if you can find it when you need it.

Anderson plugs as namwaldog says are suitable, but a bit over-specified for a solar panel. Good for 50 amps at least.

I tend to favour MNL (Mate'N'Lok) connectors. The pins crimp on the wire with a standard non-insulated crimp tool. In use, they only connect one way, so you can't connect the wrong way round. Provided you wired it right to start with. They have a max current of about 15 amps, which is fine for a single solar panel.

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Not sure what van you have but if it has an ekektrobloc under the passenger seat there are connectors on the back feeding the leisure battery. You can get a feed from the controller onto the battery here to make it easier. Push the seat forward and you can usually get to the back of the ekektrobloc through the gap in the swivel plate.

Alternatively you can get an adapter or make one from mate nlok that fits an ekektrobloc from the front. This has wires that can then be tapped to the controller that you have with the panel

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
These distribution boxes are good, but the smallest Midi fuse I've found is 30A. A bit big for a solar panel.
Very true but this is for the output of a solar controller which in my case is fused internally so in this instance the fuse is only used as a shorting link and against catastrophic failure of the wiring.

OP
OP
M

MarkP46

Free Member
Aug 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for your help everyone. Much to consider. I think I will try and go for anderson connectors with eyelet connections for the battery end. I will stick a fuse on the live as well. Great help and thanks for helping to sort my first issue.......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would go with anderson connectors too, which would also give a useful connection to power a small inverter occasionally

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back