Jan 1, 2018
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Hi I am Chugger!

I plan to travel around Europe for at least a year from April 2018. I will be keeping my UK home but I need to get myself a motorhome.

I am looking at some older used models that the budget will permit. I do not have a C1 licence so I need to be mindful of of MAM etc.

Any advice on purchasing a used, older MH would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:hi2: &w2f
Hi Chugger
Should be plenty around depending on your needs for your planed travel ,and of course the budget .
Personally I like the older ones ,much easier to maintain ,a good damp meter will come in handy ,and your nose if it smells of damp leave well alone
Pity your not nearer this way ,I had one up on classifieds here but needed to use it ,so took it down .
Wish you look in your search

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3:
Hi Chugger - sounds like quite an adventure you've got planned! :)

There should be plenty of choice of vans plated at 3,500kg. And this ought to be a good time of year to buy.

Good luck. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The older Hymers can be a good choice but as always you have to sift the good from the bad.
There is a free buyers guide on here which gives excellent advice.
Good luck

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley - Copy.gif

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Thanks everybody.

I am hoping to travel across northern Europe then down to South France, ending up in Benidorm.

I have about 20k saved but that has to cover my household bills for the year too. I have been looking at old motorhomes from 89-93 which seem to be coming in at around 5-6k. I am not sure whether mechanically they will do the job or whether I am better off using that mobey to buy and convert a window van/minibus.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If your thinking of doing nth Europe why not look on mobile.de should be one or two on there ,use it then import it into UK on the way back

Broken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks everybody.

I am hoping to travel across northern Europe then down to South France, ending up in Benidorm.

I have about 20k saved but that has to cover my household bills for the year too. I have been looking at old motorhomes from 89-93 which seem to be coming in at around 5-6k. I am not sure whether mechanically they will do the job or whether I am better off using that mobey to buy and convert a window van/minibus.

Or use a company that buys back ?

http://www.dutchcampervans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=6

http://www.bwcampers.com/en/motorhomes-for-sale-bw-campers

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
The thought of buying a MH out there had crossed my mind but I am a wary enough buyer in the UK nevermind mainland Europe! Things such as insurance and MOT would be a concern and whether it is a simple process to import to the UK.

The buyback scheme looks interesting... I shall look into it, thanks.

I have been thinking of acquiring and converting an LDV Minibus but I need to clarifh a few things first, such as how easy it is to insure a conversion, whether I can drive it without C1 (post conversion) and whether maintenance cosys on such vehicles are massively higher than a normal van. I have heard maibtenance costs on a minibus are very high.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, sounds like a good plan that you have put a lot of thought into. I would look ay Hymers but newer, mid 1990's sending about 13k
I don't think for 6k . You would get one worth having.
Good luck keep asking questions and let us know how you get on.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The thought of buying a MH out there had crossed my mind but I am a wary enough buyer in the UK nevermind mainland Europe! Things such as insurance and MOT would be a concern and whether it is a simple process to import to the UK.

The buyback scheme looks interesting... I shall look into it, thanks.

I have been thinking of acquiring and converting an LDV Minibus but I need to clarifh a few things first, such as how easy it is to insure a conversion, whether I can drive it without C1 (post conversion) and whether maintenance cosys on such vehicles are massively higher than a normal van. I have heard maintenance costs on a minibus are very high.

Converting a vehicle to go traveling is not as easy as it seems , unless you have necessary skill sets to start with ,and have a good knowledge base as to what you need to make the vehicle viable when done , its also not a cheap way of getting a good usable vehicle in the end with certainty .
There are plenty of good used moho ready , or almost to take and travel , even in the range of price you are contemplating .
Hymers although generally good VFM are overpriced in the market for the reason that people get fixated on them being the only way to go for reliability and being well built .
you need to formulate what your needs are , and then look at all possibles that tick the boxes , and then go and see, you will look at more rubbish than good , but there are also some real diamonds out there , you just need to put in the effort .

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Hello Welcome, sounds like a good plan that you have put a lot of thought into. I would look ay Hymers but newer, mid 1990's sending about 13k
I don't think for 6k . You would get one worth having.
Good luck keep asking questions and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice. Just not sure I can afford to pay that much and cover my other expenses for the year. At the 5-6k mark do you think I would be better going for a campervan than MH?

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Converting a vehicle to go traveling is not as easy as it seems , unless you have necessary skill sets to start with ,and have a good knowledge base as to what you need to make the vehicle viable when done , its also not a cheap way of getting a good usable vehicle in the end with certainty .
There are plenty of good used moho ready , or almost to take and travel , even in the range of price you are contemplating .
Hymers although generally good VFM are overpriced in the market for the reason that people get fixated on them being the only way to go for reliability and being well built .
you need to formulate what your needs are , and then look at all possibles that tick the boxes , and then go and see, you will look at more rubbish than good , but there are also some real diamonds out there , you just need to put in the effort .

I keep going back and forth on this. I had thought about doing a really cheap conversion - just a bed, portaloo and a camoing hob seeing as I only have to suit myself.

I will have a good dig around for a used MH before making a decision. My biggest fear is that a 90-95 MH wont make it round Europe. Reliability is a must as I am not mechanically minded and so running repairs would be near impossible for me.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I keep going back and forth on this. I had thought about doing a really cheap conversion - just a bed, portaloo and a camoing hob seeing as I only have to suit myself.

I will have a good dig around for a used MH before making a decision. My biggest fear is that a 90-95 MH wont make it round Europe. Reliability is a must as I am not mechanically minded and so running repairs would be near impossible for me.

I use a 1986 landrover , on some of my travels , last one was a circular trip to Prague , just had to refuel twice , that was the total amount of maintenance it required . So age in itself isnt that big a deal , its more the way the vehicle is cared for.
This is the sort of thing to look at

Dont buy in haste , and if you don't have relevant knowledge find someone to come along with you .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you plan carefully you should not need a huge amount of money for living, diesel /petrol and gas for cooking being your main costs, there are plenty of Aires to use in France so cost can be kept down that way. If your prepared to cook for yourself and not eat out too much it's surprising how far money can stretch, you could pick up odd work as your travelling, I think I would get a reasonable van with a solar panel I'm sure it's all doable in your budget, keep on the reaserch ask questions you'll get there

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Thank you. I think that is my next task - find somebody who has good knowledge of such things and hope they take mercy on me and steer me right!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back