jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Starting to look at tow cars, there are only two im interested in, fiat 500 (595) abarth or a Smart Fortwo Brabus as I want a cabriolet. Can all fortwo smarts be towed not sure they will go into neutral with the ignition off? Has anyone a framed an Abarth I cant see it’s and different to a 500?
The A frame will only be for the UK as I will look at a trailer for Europe but don’t want to drag it round in the UK then have to load and unload the car.
I’m in no rush to buy unless something comes along at the right price.
Thanks

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I believe some model Smarts are a “challenge” but only heard it 3rd hand, but I know 500Abarths can for sure work on an a bar

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
<Broken link removed>

This one has an A frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We got ours complete with A frame from TowBars2TowCars. I can recommend them. They occasionally have Abarths in but if you call them they will search one out and get it ready for you. Ours is a 500 Sport but would prefer an Abarth!

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
That looks like a proper little pocket rocket! We toad much humbler machinery, a manual petrol Toyota Aygo. Fab little bus! Perfect for pootling along whilst in relaxed holiday mode. Did consider A-framing either our Morris Minor (1965) or MX5 NB Mk2.5 (2003) but settled on Kathryn’s daily driver as it was a cinch to convert....

Cheers!

Russ

Perfect

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
I used to toad an aygo, replaced it with a 108 (4 door) and gave the aygo to my son who called it a roller skate. Great little car but now needs an exhaust and mot. I would have another like a shot.

OP
OP
jako999

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Thanks everyone.
I really want either the smart or the abarth as we eat a cabriolet

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
If its a soft top you want and there is only 2 of you do not overlook the Mazda MX5.
Quick, proper sports car, bulletproof reliability.
There are plenty of good cheap ones about and some MK2's even come with electric roof but expect to pay a premium for this.

Oh and the MX is a proper drop top not a big sunroof :LOL:

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
We didn’t go for the MX5 in the end, the only reason is we have two dogs and nowhere to put them in a 5! We have a fab fabric and metal pole structure in the back seat of the Aygo that has zipped access through either rear door,, this means the goddamn dog hair stays in the structure and not all over us and the rest of the car!

Cheers!

Russ

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
We towed a 500 behind our Burstner Aviano for a couple of years then upgraded to an Abarth Cabriolet which we kept for 6 years with no issues (UK only).
Both conversions and supply and fit tow bar were done by TAF and I would give them ten out of ten.

best of luck in finding the best car.

Bill

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
DA13C7E6-703E-430E-B57B-15ACDB235CA7.jpeg

Here’s our Abarth being towed for the first time, I was petrified!! We bought it with the A frame already attached from Ebay. I use it as my every day car, them pop it on the back when we go away

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I've towed my Smart Brabus Roadster on a frame that holds the front wheels off the ground so similar to an A-frame. Just need to make sure it is in neutral when switching off ignition.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I've towed my Smart Brabus Roadster on a frame that holds the front wheels off the ground so similar to an A-frame. Just need to make sure it is in neutral when switching off ignition.
If the wheels are off the ground, that is classed as “Recovery” and a different ‘interpretation’ than an a-frame

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We tow a fiat 500 and its great however we have been looking at the Mx5,s but what about the weight, as Fiat is just about right, we hardly know its on the back. Used to be tuggers but pulling a car is much easier and does not seem as stressful.

Aderach

Free Member
Nov 29, 2021
Nr Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
A CLASS RAPIDO 883F
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
Does anyone flat tow on a bar a Abarth 500 MTA, (manual,automatic,transmission) automatic or paddle shift
Thanks
Adrian

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We tow a 595 (68 plate) Abarth on an A Frame (fitted by LNB Bristol). This was us over Easter

Attachments

• BFA3E624-A9E3-41CE-904D-2139178644D9.jpeg
    BFA3E624-A9E3-41CE-904D-2139178644D9.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 20
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If its a soft top you want and there is only 2 of you do not overlook the Mazda MX5.
Quick, proper sports car, bulletproof reliability.
There are plenty of good cheap ones about and some MK2's even come with electric roof but expect to pay a premium for this.

Oh and the MX is a proper drop top not a big sunroof :LOL:

Sadly you can’t flat tow the MX5 else the Aygo would be gone and one of those would be on the back of the Motorhome in a shot…,

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Why? If its a manual or is it the design of the car rather than the gearbox?

Gearbox is manual but according to the TAF guru, who I enjoyed a long conversation with at one of the shows last years, the gearbox is damaged due to rotation without correct lubrication without the engine running.

I’d also suggest that you would want a LSD MX5 not an open diff version and LSD’s are a no no for flat towing too!

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi
Does anyone flat tow on a bar a Abarth 500 MTA, (manual,automatic,transmission) automatic or paddle shift
Thanks
Adrian
Since my original post on this thread I have brought an Abarth 595 MTA Convertible (big sunroof really) and checked with a few garages and people on sites and I am told that it CAN be flat towed as its effectively a manual GB with an hydro-electric clutch and change mechanism

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I looked at the 595 automated manual and had the same thought process, found a Yank site that extolled the virtues of turning the engine on, engaging neutral and leaving the car running whilst being towed (Yikes).
I can understand torque converter auto’s being a “no”, and any of the robotised manuals being a “yes but, only if they can be locked in neutral”, LSD though? That doesn’t make sense to me?

Jim

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I looked at the 595 automated manual and had the same thought process, found a Yank site that extolled the virtues of turning the engine on, engaging neutral and leaving the car running whilst being towed (Yikes).
I can understand torque converter auto’s being a “no”, and any of the robotised manuals being a “yes but, only if they can be locked in neutral”, LSD though? That doesn’t make sense to me?

Jim
So the 595 Turismo and Comp MTA are OK as they do not have LSD. The Essesse models and other special editions (there are many) come with LSD and these cannot be flat towed.

As soon as you switch on a MTA, it switches to Neutral. The biggest concern is the Abarth (like most Italian cars) do not have the Aux position on the ignition switch so it must be on the enabled position to keep the steering lock off. In this position, someone "could" press the car into gear but if no one is inside it, then it won't be possible.

Most people buy an un-coded version of the ignition key to release the steering lock but the immobiliser will still stop the car being started but will keep the steering lock off.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We have towed both the Smart for two on various aged vehicles from 53 plate to the last one on a 2014 . We also have towed the Fiat 500 and then moved it on for our Abarth we have now. The first two were completed by Towtal of stoke. The rest were done by myself using the RVi2 brake systems (Electronically operated) . The Abarth needed a little more thought purely because of the lower coolers behind the bumper. But to be honest...The best thing I have done was swapping the 500 to a Abarth 595 (Chipped to 180 bhp) .
Love it and it makes it look the part behind the truck too.
IMG_20210709_074746.jpeg

I do have the photos somewhere of the build on the Fiat 500 if you prefer to do it yourself...Kev

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
So the 595 Turismo and Comp MTA are OK as they do not have LSD. The Essesse models and other special editions (there are many) come with LSD and these cannot be flat towed.

As soon as you switch on a MTA, it switches to Neutral. The biggest concern is the Abarth (like most Italian cars) do not have the Aux position on the ignition switch so it must be on the enabled position to keep the steering lock off. In this position, someone "could" press the car into gear but if no one is inside it, then it won't be possible.

Most people buy an un-coded version of the ignition key to release the steering lock but the immobiliser will still stop the car being started but will keep the steering lock off.
Yep, another vote for the uncoded key 👍

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
We have towed both the Smart for two on various aged vehicles from 53 plate to the last one on a 2014 . We also have towed the Fiat 500 and then moved it on for our Abarth we have now. The first two were completed by Towtal of stoke. The rest were done by myself using the RVi2 brake systems (Electronically operated) . The Abarth needed a little more thought purely because of the lower coolers behind the bumper. But to be honest...The best thing I have done was swapping the 500 to a Abarth 595 (Chipped to 180 bhp) .
Love it and it makes it look the part behind the truck too.
View attachment 610736

I do have the photos somewhere of the build on the Fiat 500 if you prefer to do it yourself...Kev
If you have details of this system (where to buy etc) and the photo's of how you fitted it with the Abarth that would be great. Maybe a new thread? Wasn't planning on "toading" mine this year as we were going to Spain but that has changed so may be worth looking into this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back