A few winter prep questions... (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just draining down fluids etc for our first moho winter and have a few questions...

1. The manual says that you should drain the sink waste pipes which sounds to me like they mean the u-bends. Does anybody really do that?

2. Also the whole thing of de-liming the boiler - do people really bother to do that? What do you use and how often do you do it?

3. Do you put the front wheels on slight ramps so that rainwater runs off? Wouldn't that do tyre damage if you leave it like that for a good while?

4. When you are winter camping - how safe do you feel leaving the heating on all day while you are out? We've got a Truma boiler (C6002?)

Thanks so much for any wisdom!

Andy

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi Andy
1. Remove all liquids where practical. I don't bother with U-traps but do take anything in a glass bottle out. I also open cupboards and turn cushions up to enable a good air flow all around. If there's change of vermin, remove all food and anything that smells (like soap).
2. I've never de-scaled the boiler, but do drain it and turn the pump off.
3. The van probably drains OK as it is. If not, try parking the other way around.
4. Leave the heating on (low).
5. Chill and enjoy. Worry is not for the likes of us.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We don't store ours over winter, we tend to ignore the weather and use the 'van so it isn't an issue as it never stands for more than two weeks. We do drain the water tanks and the boiler though if there is any chance of frost.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Do you store your van at home? Ours is on a storage site - so that would mean using a lot of gas...

Sorry if I misinterpreted Q4. I thought you were away in it.
You could leave gas on a frost setting, whilst in storage, but you are in danger of flattening the battery (due to circulation pump/fan) as much as running out of gas and there's little need. Just attend to Q1.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If parked at home, some people leave a simple oil rad on a low setting. I used a greenhouse electric fan in the past on a frost setting without problems living in Bedfordshire.
I now use an airline to blow out all residual water that I can.
Heating on all day (and night) when camping, no problem, even in snow blown France mid-winter when all outside taps are frozen. Set heating on 3 for the night. I would not leave a naked flame heater on as I still think I am too young to die.
Not sure why I would want to put ramps under wheels. Some peoples driveways are steeper than a ramp. In those circumstance I would put chocks or a ramp behind the wheels so that I do not need to leave the handbrake full on and risk it rusting on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Just been on to google for an answer - perhaps Funsters know. Should gas struts be open - as in propping the MH bed up - or closed - or does it even matter?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
After each winter trip we drain down if there is a risk of freezing.
Do make sure you leave mixer taps open in the CENTRAL position. lots of people leave them with them open in the cold position an expensive mistake with taps costing 60 to over a 100 quid.
Descaling the boiler depends how much you use the van, I descale ours about once every 18 months but we only use the van for 100-120 nights a year. Cheapest option is white wine vinagr 30p a litre in France, we always stock up on it and use it for descaling in the house as well.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just draining down fluids etc for our first moho winter and have a few questions...

1. The manual says that you should drain the sink waste pipes which sounds to me like they mean the u-bends. Does anybody really do that?

2. Also the whole thing of de-liming the boiler - do people really bother to do that? What do you use and how often do you do it?

3. Do you put the front wheels on slight ramps so that rainwater runs off? Wouldn't that do tyre damage if you leave it like that for a good while?

4. When you are winter camping - how safe do you feel leaving the heating on all day while you are out? We've got a Truma boiler (C6002?)

Thanks so much for any wisdom!

Andy
1- use a pump up air plunger
2- yes if you live in a hard water area. i use white vinegar as approved by truma
3- not unless the ramps are wider than the tyres or the sidewall is under excess pressure long term
4- very safe so long as you are sensible

D

DL42846

Deleted User
When we are using the MH during the winter we leave the heating/boiler on all the time, day and night.
When the MH is parked up on our drive during the winter I leave a oil filled Rad type electric heater on the frost setting.
Never descaled the boiler.
I drain all water tanks and leave the boiler with the dump switch open so there is no water in the system.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
double agree with Lenny on the taps, they are the only thing we have ever had damaged by frost, all those in caravan days though I would add, MH much better insulated, plus we leave the heater on 24/7 on hook up heater on stat with low temp setting 8C

no fears at all leaving heating on while not in it either, why are you concerned about that? we also leave it on at night when asleep (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just been on to google for an answer - perhaps Funsters know. Should gas struts be open - as in propping the MH bed up - or closed - or does it even matter?

If it's convenient to leave them in an unstressed position, that's what i'd do. When i had a drop-down bed, i used to leave that down because it also aided air flow around the deepest corners.
Draw curtains but not blinds if they are stretching springs.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't think about descaling our boiler for the first couple of years - we live in a soft water area so it wasn't a subject which normally concerns us.

Then I looked in the van kettle one day and saw it had quite a bit of limescale in it. We may live in a soft water area but of course we take on water all over the place. :)

I used citric acid bought from a home brew shop. It leaves no after taste, is cheap and works very effectively. I experimented putting a teaspoon of the acid in the kettle then boiling it up - the limescale dissolved almost in front of my eyes leaving a very shiny kettle.

I can't remember the proportions for treating the boiler but you should be able to find it by Googling. Don't overdose and drain and flush out afterwards. Works a treat.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No need to put on any heating. Just make sure a couple of vents are cracked open as far apart as possible to enable air flow and that will do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back