A different slant on Chicken Paella (2 Viewers)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It was Jamie Oliver who got into trouble about chorizo in paella. The Spaniards got really upset. :)

https://www.thelocal.es/20161005/jamie-oliver-messed-with-paella-and-spain-didnt-like-it
This ^^ :)
I work with a Spaniard that likes to cook traditional Spanish food.
He gets wound up by his British colleagues chucking chorizo into “their” dishes. So he has a dislike for Jamie 🤪
Another (related) way to get under his skin is to pronounce chorizo as if there’s a Z to be said. :rofl:

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
This ^^ :)
I work with a Spaniard that likes to cook traditional Spanish food.
He gets wound up by his British colleagues chucking chorizo into “their” dishes. So he has a dislike for Jamie 🤪
Another (related) way to get under his skin is to pronounce chorizo as if there’s a Z to be said. :rofl:
It's taken me 35 years to get my daughter to pronounce it properly but still she says "choritzo".
Drives me insane too.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You have to be really careful with this..... the paella police are everywhere
It appears that the Paella police are still on patrol. I use chorizo, chicken anything else and lots of creepy crawlies** with a spice mix and onions (shallots actually) and don’t really care about offending the purists….. it tastes good.

**better known as mixed seafood including “fish with legs” A.K.A. Big prawns in their shells……

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Chorizo works well in Paella but l hate how Carrots seem to find their way into lots these days. They even found there way into Chinese meals at a local restaurant,now they definitely do not grow bloody Carrots in China😤

:drunk:

China grows more carrots than any other country.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My understanding of paella was it's peasant food so absolutely anything goes in, whatever was around, so I don't see chorizo being a problem. I guess in the day they didn't have chorizo so maybe that's why it doesn't appear in traditional recipes ?
Exactly &why many versions have no meat or fish in them whatsoever.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They even found there way into Chinese meals at a local restaurant,now they definitely do not grow bloody Carrots in
And half the dishes we get presented with are unheard of in China .... Just like with Indian dishes.

Sep 9, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t think most people in the UK would relish many actual Chinese dishes

Attachments

• 40DC1651-DB4A-4984-A1CD-7744C6637545.jpeg
    40DC1651-DB4A-4984-A1CD-7744C6637545.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 25

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I don’t think most people in the UK would relish many actual Chinese dishes
There isn't enough meat around so the Chinese people will use lots more of the animal carcass than Western Europeans.
Fat is a delicacy.
Less common now, but our parents' parents would be boiling bones to make broth (or summat :think: ).

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

The larger Chinese restaurants catering for visitors and tourists will of Westernised the menu.
But remember I mentioned fat is a delicacy?
For the last dinner of our Oct 2000 holiday at one large restaurant we had a Peking duck feast. On the lazy Susan there were little rectangles of flat white lumps. Being by then adept with chopsticks I smoothly picked up a chunk and put in my mouth. It was lard :(

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I will inform my Valenciano acquaintances that their Regional dish, cooked by them in a very specific way for centuries can be altered on the say-so of the Brits and still be called Paella.

You will no doubt hear the laughter and ridicule all the way from Valencia.

I wonder if when I substitute plain flour with chickpea flour, I would still be having Yorkshire Pudding.
Most Yorkshire men use garam flour now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back