A different slant on Chicken Paella (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
According to wikipedia:
"Paella is a Valencian word which derives from the Old French word paelle for pan, which in turn comes from the Latin word patella for pan."

Matamoros wins :D2.

Like a balti curry then, where balti is just the name of the pan it is cooked in.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I can tell you want DOESN’T go into a paella valenciana, and that’s chorizo or onion.
(Any rice dish with these ingredients is simply “arroz con lo que te salga de los huevos”.)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
I use a brand of paella mix called 'Carmencita' which contains Saffron which is ok.

That's the one we use. You can even buy it online in the UK, although we stocked up on the last trip to Spain. We do also make our own sometimes:
saffron, paprika and ground cloves (go easy on the cloves, though, or it overwhelms the rest of the flavours)
paella.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I feel a paella coming on this weekend, a while since i made one.......and no chorizo:)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
We put sausages and bacon along with the bakes beans in our paella, if the neighbours are with us black pudding too. (y)

Morcilla, please, not black pudding! That morcilla stuff is damn fine -- to me tastes like a cross between black pudding and haggis. (Then again I am a fan of the black pudding [and the white in Ireland]) Just finished the last of the morcilla de verdura brought back from our last Iberian trip. Might have to book another ferry just to get my next fix.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
The 'authentic' Valencian paella we had definitely contained rabbit, snails, chickpeas, rice and not much else, as I recall. The restaurant called all other variations 'arroz' rather than 'paella'.

Then again as @namwaldog says, it's all about the fusion, nicking bits of everyone else's recipes and cultures to make your own delicious concoction.

Our own variation on seafood paella would be a might too fierce for most Spanish and definitely offend the purists.

This recipe is for two hungry people (25cm or 10" paella pan).

Ingredients:

olive oil
6 cloves garlic
2 hot red chillies
can of chopped tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
140g (5oz) bomba rice
450ml (16 fl. oz.) fish stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 red pepper (chopped into strips)
a few slices of good-quality piccante chorizo
about 100g (4oz) raw squid rings
about 100g (4oz) raw jumbo king prawns

Make up 450ml (16 fl. oz) of fish stock.
Fry up loads of chopped garlic (maybe 6 cloves) and a couple of hot red chillies, including the seeds, in olive oil, then add a can of chopped tomatoes (or the equivalent fresh cooking tomatoes if in Spain) and continue to fry until a lot of the tomato juice/water is boiled off.

Add salt and lots of black pepper

Add half a packet of Carmencita Paellero spice mix (or saffron, paprika and a little ground cloves)

Add 140g (5oz) bomba rice (or similar short grain rice) to the pan and combine with the tomato mixture.

Add some of the fish stock to the pan and stir in.

Add a cup of frozen peas.

Add the squid rings (cut in half if preferred to make thinner rings).

Add the red pepper.

Add the chorizo.

Add the prawns.

Add most of the rest of the fish stock, reserving a very small amount to add if the dish dries out.

Stir and then leave to simmer for 25 minutes.

If it dries out during simmering add a little more stock.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I didnt realise that walls sausages are crap for building walls, its just so confusing when you think youve got something but then find out that someone calls it something else and what youve got is not allowed to be called what you call it

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The 'authentic' Valencian paella we had definitely contained rabbit, snails, chickpeas, rice and not much else, as I recall. The restaurant called all other variations 'arroz' rather than 'paella'.

Then again as @namwaldog says, it's all about the fusion, nicking bits of everyone else's recipes and cultures to make your own delicious concoction.

Our own variation on seafood paella would be a might too fierce for most Spanish and definitely offend the purists.

This recipe is for two hungry people (25cm or 10" paella pan).

Ingredients:

olive oil
6 cloves garlic
2 hot red chillies
can of chopped tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
140g (5oz) bomba rice
450ml (16 fl. oz.) fish stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 red pepper (chopped into strips)
a few slices of good-quality piccante chorizo
about 100g (4oz) raw squid rings
about 100g (4oz) raw jumbo king prawns

Make up 450ml (16 fl. oz) of fish stock.
Fry up loads of chopped garlic (maybe 6 cloves) and a couple of hot red chillies, including the seeds, in olive oil, then add a can of chopped tomatoes (or the equivalent fresh cooking tomatoes if in Spain) and continue to fry until a lot of the tomato juice/water is boiled off.

Add salt and lots of black pepper

Add half a packet of Carmencita Paellero spice mix (or saffron, paprika and a little ground cloves)

Add 140g (5oz) bomba rice (or similar short grain rice) to the pan and combine with the tomato mixture.

Add some of the fish stock to the pan and stir in.

Add a cup of frozen peas.

Add the squid rings (cut in half if preferred to make thinner rings).

Add the red pepper.

Add the chorizo.

Add the prawns.

Add most of the rest of the fish stock, reserving a very small amount to add if the dish dries out.

Stir and then leave to simmer for 25 minutes.

If it dries out during simmering add a little more stock.

That sounds delicious, but I'd call it Jambalaya :D

Jul 14, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2020
I rate this Paella mix highly. It’s readily available in supermarkets and the wonderful ‘4 candle‘ shops in Spain.
ingrediants: garlic, paprika, rice flour, bay leaves, black pepper, cloves and saffron. 😋 🇪🇸
image.jpg

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
If you cook it and like it and you you think it's called paella does it really matter. You can call it paella style rice if you dont wish to offend anyone but as I say it really matter..

Jul 14, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2020
M-J if the food tastes as good as it looks, it must have been great!
love the bright colours in the photo, it all adds to the fun...

Reactions: M-J
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Maybe we should call it "Arroz con whatever" :) so as not to annoy the purists.

I have enjoyed true Valencian paellas with rabbit and snails -- very nice, although the snails did not seem to taste of much. But personally I prefer my arroz to be brimming with seafood.

I noticed that some of the paella spice mixes contain tartrazine as a colourant, so careful if feeding to kids!

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
My understanding of paella was it's peasant food so absolutely anything goes in, whatever was around, so I don't see chorizo being a problem. I guess in the day they didn't have chorizo so maybe that's why it doesn't appear in traditional recipes ?
Absolutely right . I’ve had paella from the north to the south and they all play with the recipe - depending on what they have . paella snobs , arrgghh!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No onions in paella sounds great as I hate them. ::bigsmile:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Chorizo in paella, you savages!
I made a Paella the other day in my garden, set up the burner (From Spain) Got my 26" paella pan on. delicately cooked through the monkfish, mussels, prawns chorizo and pork.
Friend asked where the Chorizo was.....
Chorizo over powers all the delicate flavours!
Although I have no issue with it in a chicken paella!

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
We both enjoy cooking and eating Paella especially in Spain with the local ingredients. We have however both seemed to have developed a dislike for the dried pimento that seems to be an ingredient in most of the colourings/flavourings that we buy to make the Paella. So we decided to try a new slant on it and thought about different things we could do.

Today we tried this..
A good glug of olive oil in the paella pan, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped ginger, salt, pepper, pinch of dried chilli flakes, chicken ( we used skinless chicken thighs cut in two) and brown off on the cooker. We would have normally added chopped garlic at this stage but had found someone on the market selling wild garlic so chopped about three stalks of that and added it with the vegetables later.
Add a good glug of white wine to clear off the bottom of the pan and then add any veg you want. We put Judas beans, broccoli, mushrooms and thin carrots. We then added the juice of three lemons and a teaspoon of sugar. Put the lid on so that the veg steam in the wine vapours.
We added a cup full of paella rice and two cups of warm water to the pan and stirred it all in. Left it on low heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

1 rice to 2 water should allow the rice to be cooked before it boils dry.

Leave lid on and turn off the heat and allow last of liquor to be absorbed for about 5 minutes and then enjoy with a glass of whatever you want!

View attachment 283491

A nice one pan recipe all cooked outside on a small one burner camping stove!
Looks more like chicken stew than paella.

Deleted User
Going off topic a little I make a nice Aroz de Marisco, Portuguese dish which is more like a thick rice soup but i do use chorizo,not actually in the dish but I fry some nice chorizo in the oil to infuse it with smoked paprika flavours. Then anything fishy/shellfishy can go in it, usually use the frozen mixed stuff, delicious, lots of coentro.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Chorizo in paella, you savages!
I made a Paella the other day in my garden, set up the burner (From Spain) Got my 26" paella pan on. delicately cooked through the monkfish, mussels, prawns chorizo and pork.
Friend asked where the Chorizo was.....
Chorizo over powers all the delicate flavours!
Although I have no issue with it in a chicken paella!

For those that worry about overpowering the dish with chorizo, the solution that I found worked for me was to buy the thinly sliced variety and slice into matchsticks this allows you to put in just the right amount to add flavour and colour with out over powering the dish and it looks nice as well.

This recipe using the same method with the chorizo is very nice, in my version i used whole skinned tomatoes chopped up rather then tinned and I also added some capers but my guests loved it.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.

Anyone tried these in your paella 🥘

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back