LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Don't touch an A class. Upwards of £30,000 for a windscreen and you wait months to get one. £10,000 for a wing mirror. And servicing, you can't service them, only a gynaecologist can service them and you know what they charge.

Whereas C class, any van garage can sort them out for about 7s 6d.
I’ve told you a million tim s, don’t exaggerate!:D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think the main thing is what works for you.

There is no definate benefit to either type so I wouldn't limit your search to only one or the other. One thing about motorhomes is everyone has their own individual needs and requirements and what works for some doesn't work for others.
Full timing your biggest requirement will be space ...both for storage and for comfort.
Then you need to decide where you will be most of the time ie the uk or warmer or colder climates. Whether you plan to be more on site or off grid
That will then give you a basis to work off with regards to size weight limits and whether lhd or rhd is required.
If you find a van that's absolutely perfect for you in every way then you've achieved something very few people have managed even those who self build .

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having had both I can say there are pro's and con's to both types.

I've had 3 coachbuilt and 2 A class but both the A class models differed also.

Coachbuilt I've had a euramobil a burstner Argos .....and briefly a hymer swing coachbuilt.

I had a mobilvetta euroyacht A class and my current Frankia.

So my personal pro's and con's

The eura Mobil the burstner and the Frankia were all fully winterised with double floors inside tanks etc.
The Mobilvetta was not.

As some have said the view of the road etc in the A class is much better .....the downsize Can be it's a bit goldfish bowl like ....i frequently get annoyed at people Staring right in the van whilst I'm sat eating my dinner etc. Of course you can close the blinds but then you lose the view which is the benefit of the large screen.
The Mobilvetta while being an A class wasn't as big a screen and I didnt notice this quite so much.

With heating I think my burstner was the warmest van ..it had a wooden partitionbetween the cab and the rear that slid closed when you were in the back , it kept the rear warm and it also was a little more private whilst still having plenty light inside etc.

The overcab on a coachbuilt does give you that extra storage too which can be a benefit.

Screens mirrors etc are generally a lot dearer to replace on an A class ...and some can be difficult to source.

An old A class is still visually old the same as a coachbuilt .....and some are downright ugly lol.

I like the integrated cab of the a class it definately does give more space but if I had children or the front drop down bed was in use you would of course lose that space where in a coachbuilt you wouldn't.

It's hard to say which I preferred to be honest all served their purpose at the time under different circumstances.

I'll be selling mine later in the year and replacing it with one that's a little smaller and I haven't ruled out either A class or coachbuilt. ..i believe there are advantages to both depending on the layout of the van.

In the end of advise you just to go see as many options as you can and see what feels right.

I would though highly reccomend buying a double floored winterised van because it is something I would not compromise on
Thank you, that's so helpful

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back