LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have "A Class" so you would expect me to favour that style, we like the big window for a view, we like the way that it pulls the cab area into the useable area of the van, better insulation especially if you have double glazed cab side windows, lastly older vans don't show their age the same when they are "A Class".

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't touch an A class. Upwards of £30,000 for a windscreen and you wait months to get one. £10,000 for a wing mirror. And servicing, you can't service them, only a gynaecologist can service them and you know what they charge.

Whereas C class, any van garage can sort them out for about 7s 6d.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Don't touch an A class. Upwards of £30,000 for a windscreen and you wait months to get one. £10,000 for a wing mirror. And servicing, you can't service them, only a gynaecologist can service them and you know what they charge.

7/6 ???

Jeez, Obi Wan, showing your age, you are!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

OP don't listen to this rubbish my windscreen only cosy £29000 delivered and the gynaecologist also delivered cheaply.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP don't listen to this rubbish my windscreen only cosy £29000 delivered and the gynaecologist also delivered cheaply.

For goodness sakes, what kind of a windscreen can you get for that price. You've only got to hit a bee on the motorway and the cheap Chinese windscreen will be wrapped around your head.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
lastly older vans don't show their age the same when they are "A Class".

Martin

Nonsense.

Follow and old A-Class and you are swerving all over the road dodging lumps of rotting iron and shattered headlamps.

I omitted to mention the headlamps, upwards of £10,000 for a headlamp and £20,000 to £30,000 to fit it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Getting back to real life an A Class is a proper Motorhome built from the ground up any disadvantages is outweighed by the advantages.
Better insulation, superb view out of the front, fully winterised. Inside same width right through, most have double floors for winter comfort. Quieter to drive, easier to manover in tight spots and reverse due to flat sides, better rear view mirrors.

On our second A Class wouldn't have any other type of van now.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Nonsense.

Follow and old A-Class and you are swerving all over the road dodging lumps of rotting iron and shattered headlamps.

I omitted to mention the headlamps, upwards of £10,000 for a headlamp and £20,000 to £30,000 to fit it.

Brian , I’ve told you a trillion times not to exaggerate :rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A class every time. More spacious feel than the commercial van cab, no steel bodywork to rust. Big windows, better insulation.
Access to the engine can be bad and windscreens more expensive and usually not in stock . They are no higher than many coachbuilts.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Having had both I can say there are pro's and con's to both types.

I've had 3 coachbuilt and 2 A class but both the A class models differed also.

Coachbuilt I've had a euramobil a burstner Argos .....and briefly a hymer swing coachbuilt.

I had a mobilvetta euroyacht A class and my current Frankia.

So my personal pro's and con's

The eura Mobil the burstner and the Frankia were all fully winterised with double floors inside tanks etc.
The Mobilvetta was not.

As some have said the view of the road etc in the A class is much better .....the downsize Can be it's a bit goldfish bowl like ....i frequently get annoyed at people Staring right in the van whilst I'm sat eating my dinner etc. Of course you can close the blinds but then you lose the view which is the benefit of the large screen.
The Mobilvetta while being an A class wasn't as big a screen and I didnt notice this quite so much.

With heating I think my burstner was the warmest van ..it had a wooden partitionbetween the cab and the rear that slid closed when you were in the back , it kept the rear warm and it also was a little more private whilst still having plenty light inside etc.

The overcab on a coachbuilt does give you that extra storage too which can be a benefit.

Screens mirrors etc are generally a lot dearer to replace on an A class ...and some can be difficult to source.

An old A class is still visually old the same as a coachbuilt .....and some are downright ugly lol.

I like the integrated cab of the a class it definately does give more space but if I had children or the front drop down bed was in use you would of course lose that space where in a coachbuilt you wouldn't.

It's hard to say which I preferred to be honest all served their purpose at the time under different circumstances.

I'll be selling mine later in the year and replacing it with one that's a little smaller and I haven't ruled out either A class or coachbuilt. ..i believe there are advantages to both depending on the layout of the van.

In the end of advise you just to go see as many options as you can and see what feels right.

I would though highly reccomend buying a double floored winterised van because it is something I would not compromise on

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Have had both in RVs and eurovans, much prefer a class for living space and driving position and presently have an a class.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I would say that a lot depends on the intended use of whatever is bought. If, for example, I was going to spend several months of every year parked up on a campsite in Spain, then it would be an A class. A larger one at that.

However, thats not my idea of using a motorhome. I like to travel about, and for that a 6 metre or under PVC or Coachbuilt has all the advantages. Easier to drive in traffic, cheaper on ferries, in my opinion, cheaper to run generally. When I'm somewhere, I'm very rarely in it other than for sleeping, so dont need the space of an A class either. The one I own is a "Scandinavian edition" therefore winterised as well.

So for me personally, an A Class has only disadvantages - but I can see the reasons others prefer them. They are just not for me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say that a lot depends on the intended use of whatever is bought. If, for example, I was going to spend several months of every year parked up on a campsite in Spain, then it would be an A class. A larger one at that.

However, thats not my idea of using a motorhome. I like to travel about, and for that a 6 metre or under PVC or Coachbuilt has all the advantages. Easier to drive in traffic, cheaper on ferries, in my opinion, cheaper to run generally. When I'm somewhere, I'm very rarely in it other than for sleeping, so dont need the space of an A class either. The one I own is a "Scandinavian edition" therefore winterised as well.

So for me personally, an A Class has only disadvantages - but I can see the reasons others prefer them. They are just not for me.
So why not a 6 metre A class?

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hello all...I'm buying a used MH ...what's the pro's and cons of A class or coachbuilt..any advice please

Having owned them all, USRV, A Class, C Class and B Class there is definitely no one size fits all.. they all have pros and cons

so before advising will need to know your intended use.. where you plan to travel, how long for.. and type of use, touring, holidays or long term living..

how many people.. solo traveller or family

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
So why not a 6 metre A class?

Martin

Good question...:) Simply because I've not seen one that beats my coachbuilt on all points that I find important.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just about to change from A Class to Coach built (ish).

A class looks good, gives a feeling of airy space and great views when driving. But most people when they stop turn the chairs round so they cannot see out of the windscreen.

Coachbuilt, less stress over windscreen damage, 2 doors better, easy and cheaper screen protector, less bug cleaning, wipers work better, easier to reach windscreen to clean, engine work easier and cheaper, mirrors are cheaper and available, mirrors can be pulled in, less glass easier to keep warm and cool, etc..

Insulation, double floors etc are all about the build, some A Class are great but so are some coachbuilt it is dependent upon the conversion not the format.

Learning that it is all about layout and function, format is secondary.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just about to change from A Class to Coach built (ish).

A class looks good, gives a feeling of airy space and great views when driving. But most people when they stop turn the chairs round so they cannot see out of the windscreen.

Coachbuilt, less stress over windscreen damage, 2 doors better, easy and cheaper screen protector, less bug cleaning, wipers work better, easier to reach windscreen to clean, engine work easier and cheaper, mirrors are cheaper and available, mirrors can be pulled in, less glass easier to keep warm and cool, etc..

Insulation, double floors etc are all about the build, some A Class are great but so are some coachbuilt it is dependent upon the conversion not the format.

Learning that it is all about layout and function, format is secondary.[/QUO I'm just about to buy a MH and go full timing, My friend said I will not go wrong with a German make MH..you have just given me something to take into consideration ,,thank you that's very helpful

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What is this stress over a class windscreen, I don’t and can’t see the problem, if it’s insured you only pay the excess as with any other windscreen.
How often does an a class windscreen break, possibly never for most owners .

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
More expensive on toll roads if over 2.9metres high .

In theory yes - I presume you mean French toll roads - but in reality at 3.1m I've found pressing the button at the toll booth and telling them that I am "Classe Deux" seems to get me the lower rate with no problems.

That's on a coachbuilt coincidentally.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
thank you,didn'tknow that
But whether it's an a class or not doesn't depict the height.

I've never been on a toll road yet ...my van is 3.1 metres high but I'd choose the double floor over the worry of a toll.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What is this stress over a class windscreen, I don’t and can’t see the problem, if it’s insured you only pay the excess as with any other windscreen.
How often does an a class windscreen break, possibly never for most owners .
Quite right will never happen to most and cost is covered by insurance.

It is the wait on a non standard piece of glass being shipped and then fitted as opposed to a standard model more readily available.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Quite right will never happen to most and cost is covered by insurance.

It is the wait on a non standard piece of glass being shipped and then fitted as opposed to a standard model more readily available.

It may only be a wait if it ever happens but as I posted it’s unlikely to happen to most a class owners , also is there a wait or is this just perceived as there must be some available uk stock.
Why worry, it may never happen ;)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Screen replacement may require a wait , but unless its a brick gone thru (pretty rare I would guess) it will be a crack and useable , unless it happens the day before MOT ( dont buy a lotto ticket )
As @scotjimland posts you need to be more specific on usage to get a meaningful , and useful reply :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back