8.5 Metres (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a Kon-Tike Tag axle a few months ago. We have the new 649 great lounge. Even though Swift say it is 8.5 meters long, on the log book it states 8.69 meters.

I have been driving HGV 1 for 20 years so this is small to me. The rear overhang is smaller than some single axle vans.
Size to me is irrelevant when driving. I have seen some people having terrible trouble manoeuvring a 6 m van into a space. when they gave up and looked for a bigger parking space I got my 8.69 m van into the same place as I have no issues with reversing it.

But they are some places I physically cannot fit so I just move on. If I bought a 6m motorhome I would be able to park in more places but I do like mo comfort and space.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Reevsie - my son drives HGV so he would be shouting go for it (if he knew we were considering it) but we're probably not confident enough. Having said that we used to tow a 7.2 metre caravan behind a mahoosive Ford Mondeo estate and never worried at all.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Another option is a 7.9 single axle. Would the half metre and single axle make a big difference?

We bought a 7.9 m rear wheel drive van as we felt this a very good compromise, --for us---the ideal length, and very good payload.----We spent several years trying to decide the best thing for us-----NOTHING is perfect though.
Whatever you get --you will manage and accept it for what it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Currently in France. Our tag axle is 8.8mtrs have had no problems at all. Toll roads we are class 2. At the end of the day it's what your happy with & plan ahead as others have said.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
It's true about compromise. We've had our 6.5 metre Geist for 5 years and really enjoyed it but a few niggles and the lack of lounge space makes us think we should go a bit bigger for a long tour.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Four and half years and 50000 miles in a 7.7 metre tag (8.2 with bike rack open) all over Europe never had any issues never been refused entry. We rarely use big commercial sites prefer small informal sites Aires or wildcamping.
Have too say we wouldn't go over 8m again as when we did it severely restricted where we could go which is why we think ours at 7.7 is perfect.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An alternative option ... if you like your Geist other than the lounge having a dinette why not convert it to an 'L' shaped sofa instead and alter the cab seat so it swivels? This will give you a much more open area and cost a fraction of what it would to change.

I can't actually find any proper images of your Geist Touring 75 so can't tell if this would work or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hadn't thought of changing the layout as drastically as that. Interesting idea. Thanks
I think someone on this forum may have already done it with their MH ... can't remember who though!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Change of tack coming, I parked near a Geist at a show and liked it but cannot find any reference to the maker on Mobil de or anywhere else, Is that the name or the model of something else?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some people might say we cant fit in here BUT we are in and staying.

image.jpg

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have an Autotrail Scout.

I think that would suit you.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Geist is the make. It's a German van kitted out for the British market. They're quite unusual - Camper NE in Birtley near Newcastle seems to be the main dealer. Ours is a 2007 6 berth with a big overcab bed. The more recent models are more streamlined. We're interested in this one. The only thing is that it's payload might to too small.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Change of tack coming, I parked near a Geist at a show and liked it but cannot find any reference to the maker on Mobil de or anywhere else, Is that the name or the model of something else?
Geist is the make. It's a German van kitted out for the British market. They're quite unusual - Camper NE in Birtley near Newcastle seems to be the main dealer. Ours is a 2007 6 berth with a big overcab bed. The more recent models are more streamlined. We're interested in this one. The only thing is that it's payload might to too small.

Sorry that was an echo.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you might be right about the payload, that is a lot of vehicle for 3500kg. It may be possible to uprate it but you would need to enquire about that.

Not being picky but it seems to have a tiny kitchen with minimal working space. Might not be an issue for you but it would be a no-no for us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The payload is abysmal! 395kg with a 2.3 engine and that's BEFORE any extras are added so a 3.0 engine will reduce this plus as it's got a towbar, solar panels, awning and satellite system on already I doubt it there's much left! Possibly why the previous owner had a tow bar in the first place for a trailer and why it's now with the dealer?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
To be perfectly honest the lounge space isn't much bigger than you've got now, if you make your's into an 'L' shape would that actually solve your problem?

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I think you might be right about the payload, that is a lot of vehicle for 3500kg. It may be possible to uprate it but you would need to enquire about that.

Not being picky but it seems to have a tiny kitchen with minimal working space. Might not be an issue for you but it would be a no-no for us.

Yes the small kitchen is one of the things we don't like about ours... and the payload is awful. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the input - really helpful.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
To be perfectly honest the lounge space isn't much bigger than you've got now, if you make your's into an 'L' shape would that actually solve your problem?

I've been outside and looked at ours. I don't thing the L shape will work with the available space because the kitchen is opposite the dinette. Great idea though. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been outside and looked at ours. I don't thing the L shape will work with the available space because the kitchen is opposite the dinette. Great idea though. :)
Not sure why you say that ... we've just changed to a PVC with an 'L' shaped lounge and kitchen opposite and there's plenty of space and our van is only 2.1m wide! :)
185_3b.jpg
185_2b.jpg
185_4b.jpg
1 before - Copy.JPG
3 before - Copy.JPG
[

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure why you say that ... we've just changed to a PVC with an 'L' shaped lounge and kitchen opposite and there's plenty of space and our van is only 2.1m wide! :)
[
That's a lovely layout. Maybe it is possible with ours and I'm just not able to see it with the dinette in the way. Will need to think carefully about the possibilities.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You could view some with the 'L' shaped lounge already and see how it is in practice and then it might help you imagine it in your own MH.

May 11, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 635
Exp
Since 2013
We have had our Kontiki 669 tag axle for over 2 years covering 11,000 miles and only had problems getting some late bookings on Camping and Caravanning Club sites because of our length.
We have been to France 4 times and used the Vicarious books for the Aires which give guidance on the maximum length allowed but have found even if only 8m maximum is stated we have never had a problem. Never had a problem with length on a French camp site. Using pay tolls is a no-no because the vehicle is a Class 4 except from Calais to Abbeville where for some reason it always charges us automatically at Class 2.
We are off to Croatia this evening so it may be different in Luxenbourg, Germany, Austria and Slovenia but we are not worried enough to book ahead as we shall be using the Bord Atlas guides which also give maximum length details and ACSI camp sites.
By the way we love the Kontiki as the layout and comfort matched my shopping list in every respect except for the blown air heating which on reflection we would have liked to have been the Aldie wet system which is now standard and no damp problems !

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Have a kontiki and as others have posted no issues, been isn a few interesting places. Very stable so can reliable transport the most sensitive beverages, need to get the tyre pressures right at around 72 rear and 62 front based on guidance from Michelin for our kontiki 679 axle loads.

Some campsites don't allow 8.5m vans but have told the odd porky based on prior knowledge and ringing the warden.

Enjoy whatever.

Should have added in France avoid toll roads like the plague your classed as an artic or similar

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We have an Auto trail Arapaho, 8.5M Tag axle with rear lounge, which we have had for nearly 2 years. Done 4 weeks through Germany, Austria and france and no problem anywhere. There are only the two of us and we value the space, the load capacity (we use the overcab too for storage) and we value the 7 foot 6" wide bed when we use the rear lounge as a bed! Fantastic comfort.

We have found a couple of sites that say they won't take 8.5M length but most will. We don't use Aires (cant see the fun in having a holiday in a car park myself. If you cant afford a campsite do go!). We were very unsure when we were looking (it was our first MH) and I nearly bottled it and bought a scout. Don't get me wrong that is a lovely vehicle too (4 foot shorter) but we are so glad we held our nerve. I would NOT have a smaller vehicle. We got used to it very quickly. I have never driven anything bigger than a Transit before and I found it easy peezy. Reversing camera makes manoeuvring a doddle. I do get what some have said about the rear overhang. I cracked the rear corner on the garden fence having parked right up close on one occasion. Got away with it with no damage and I wont make that mistake again!

If you are a confident driver go for the big one. Good luck with your deliberations

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have a Euramobil Activa which is 8.5m and a tag axle.
We 'moved up' from a 1974 VW Baywindow camper van!
As you'd imagine, space was at a premium and luxuries were near non existent. My wish list focussed on the interior layout, closely followed by space and then as many luxuries as possible.
Yes, I would have preferred RWD and possibly twin rear wheels instead of FWD and tag axle, however, with these exceptions, I wouldn't want to change what I've now got.
I've found that sites advertised on C&CC and the CC both state certain sizes for units/vans but when you phone them and speak with them directly at the site, they do have pitches bigger than advertised.
Yes, you'd probably have more choice and ease of parking in a smaller motorhome, but after experiencing a smaller van, I now appreciate having the space.

Driving it is a doddle - I have more issues remembering the height than how far back the rear bumper is.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you'd probably have more choice and ease of parking in a smaller motorhome, but after experiencing a smaller van, I now appreciate having the space.

as we say... all is compromise.. and it all depends on where what you're priority is.. .. ease of parking and access, or comfort and space..

but, in saying that, there has to be a 'cut off' point where the extra length just isn't worth the loss of convenience.. not sure extly what the length is , but having lived and toured Europe in a 36ft RV , that point is a lot shorter than 36ft ..

With a 7mt Hymer, I still find there are places where it won't fit.. but I won't go smaller, that would for me be too much of a compromise..

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back