Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I tried earlier with a question about the Swift Kontiki but no response to here's a more general question. 8.5 metres is the length of the Kontiki. Currently we have a 6.5 metre van. What kind of issues might we face with the extra length? Is it too big for some sites / aires?
We love the layout and the extra space inside but don't want to find ourselves very limited where we can go.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just wild park if you get a problem . i cant say about camp sites or aires these day . i gave in using them years ago. go on have a adventure . just park upin nce places sensibly .its a big world out there . thousands have big campers and have an adventure.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I saw your last post but thought someone who knew better than me would answer you , the only thing I have gathered by being on here is that swifts are very prone to damp issues so make sure you have it well tested before you part with any money, extra length shouldn't be a problem apart from parking in car parks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
The biggest issue you will have is getting used to the rear overhang (probably the cause of the majority of "scrapes")

Site/aires wise I can't see you having any major problems (of course there are some exceptions and some very tight sites/aires/fuel stations etc)

if in any doubt move to the next one ;)

With regards to the rear overhang - just be aware that when you turn left, the right hand rear corner will swing the opposite direction for a cpl of yards (vice versa when you turn right!). just make sure you factor this in before turning sharply.

mirror, move, mirror and a bit more mirror (if in doubt STOP!!)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks folks. The Kontiki is a tag axle so I assume it will be stable to drive but having never driven one I'm not sure if it has any effect on manoeuvring. Our current van has quite a big overhang so I'm guessing it would be just be even more care taken getting out of petrol stations etc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are 8.5 metres and find that we are larger than the average van so consequently you will always be the one stuck furthest out on aires and sites. Sometimes things can get a bit tight with trees and hedges to mark pitches but if you are a confident driver you should have no problems. It has never stopped us going where we want.

Martin

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hi Margaret and Shirley

Some points from formally having a 8.5m tag axle
Some sites don't take MH's over 8m
Access can be tricky (as others have said - overhang etc)
The tag axle makes it less manoeuvrable - our new MH although 9 m is much more manoeuvrable as the twin rear wheels pivot rather than drag.

Kath

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also if you plan to tow anything check out what it can legally take as I believe a lot of tax axle ones have very poor towing limits.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have seen a lot of tags that must be over 8 meters using aires in France and other than a bit of shunting problems trying to get into bays I can't say I have seen any problems plus don't forget there are a lot of 7 meter plus vans with bike racks and motorbikes on back that must take them over 8 meters
And we have seen the odd trailer on aires that must be over 10 meters

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
8.5 Tag............ And not had one problem in the UK France/Spain/Portugal "Oh" and Wales..

Aires/Sites/Wilding, and with a 20ft car trailer...

Tyres can take a hammering if you go round and round in tight circles on tar-mac... ;)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have no experience of long vans whatsoever, all I can say is that frequently I find myself feeling very glad that my van is only 6 metres :rolleyes:

We often park in Aires, car parks etc where even 6 metres feels long!

Just sayin....:cautious:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe.
We tend to phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !
We just say its a large motorhome, have had one or two ask if its a tag axle but never understood why?

Terry

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't have a tag axle but I'm sure I've seen some sites that refuse them, particularly on grass pitches (some also same for twin axle caravans) 'cause they've a concern they cut up the grass. Tag axle users may be able to confirm or tell me am dreamin!

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
These are great points - thanks. Particularly interested in the impact of the tag axle (thanks Kath). I think we need to look around at other options before we make a final decision.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
have had one or two ask if its a tag axle but never understood why?

In France, 'some' sites don't accept tag axle caravans, as I understand, this is to give a legit reason to refuse travelers entry .. Personally never had that issue with the 18ft tag caravan we towed .. once the site warden sees you are not a Itinerant the rule is relaxed.. so no gold earnings and headscarf .. :LOL:

Our RV was 36ft .. As for length being an issue.. yes, it can be on some sites and aires, planning ahead was essential.. parking in supermarkets was ok provided it wasn't too busy and you could park through two bays with empty bays next to you.. if they filled up it could make leaving almost impossible..

8.5mt or 28ft won't have many problems.. but there will be times you wished it were only 7 mts or less.. it's always a compromise.. just watch the tail swing leaving fuel pumps and gate posts on sites..

Just for interest.. many CClub sites now have a 28ft max rule..

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe.
We tend to phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !
We just say its a large motorhome, have had one or two ask if its a tag axle but never understood why?

Terry

"Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe."

But is that because you "phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !" ???

Or "just say its a large motorhome" ???

Sounds like you feel the need to be economic with the truth :rolleyes:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
"Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe."

But is that because you "phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !" ???

Or "just say its a large motorhome" ???

Sounds like you feel the need to be economic with the truth :rolleyes:

Why? It is a "large motorhome" and if they ask the length we tell them its 342 inches long! ;)

Terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I tried earlier with a question about the Swift Kontiki but no response to here's a more general question. 8.5 metres is the length of the Kontiki. Currently we have a 6.5 metre van. What kind of issues might we face with the extra length? Is it too big for some sites / aires?
We love the layout and the extra space inside but don't want to find ourselves very limited where we can go.
My first reply to this was didn't think it would be much of a problem, but as its only the two of you and considering other options , and reading other replays , I think you would be safer sticking to a shorter van, I would anyway.(y):)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have been on some Aires in France where you definately wouldn't get an 8mtre van on, also some of the more interesting roads would not be an option for you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A year on from buying a tag and still absolutely no issues found re sites etc..

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I think you need to consider your payload too - I cant remember what your Gheist is but if you are going away for a year in a mh you need to have a decent payload.

Kath

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a decent payload at the moment but no true lounging space, just the dinette. That's the issue. We want to take our golf clubs with us too! :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ours is just 9m and never been a problem , been in some tight spots but with care will go anywhere (y)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I think you need to consider your payload too - I cant remember what your Gheist is but if you are going away for a year in a mh you need to have a decent payload.

Kath

Just for the bloody excess of shoes and clothes!!!:(:sneaky::sneaky::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Howie...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back