70+ Licence Petition

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Larrynwin, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +29,046
    • Like it Like it x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TinaL

TinaL Funster

Ratings:
    +6,642
    I'll need me reading glasses to open that link, eer luv, can you sign this for me, me hands are shakin and I wont get it between those silly lines:D
    Les

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
  3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,436
    My mum falls into this category and haslost her C1, although I don't agree with the caravan weights and towing I think its a good thing to a certain degree...allow daytime driving but not night time might be a good alternative.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,436
    Leave off the whisky :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +8,120
    Is that petition correct are all motorhomes treated that way or just those over 3.5t?

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. TinaL

TinaL Funster

Ratings:
    +6,642
    I know I made a joke of this thread earlier, but having now found my reading glasses(y) and opened it, I have found this especially relevant as TinaL OH as Parkinson's Disease, she is now 57 years old, but dont tell her I told you so;)
    She lost her C1 entitlement some years back,when first diagnosed and we both unknowingly assumed that this was irreversible.
    She does get signed off as OK to drive her car by her consultant neurologist, which is great as that provides so much independence for her to get around locally.
    We had both resigned ourselves to the fact that having lost her C1 that she would never be able to drive our new moho as its over 3500KG,s, therefore I am the only named driver.
    Thanks for posting this @Larrynwin lets hope it gets to 10K signatures, as its discrimination against all those that deemed fit to drive at age 70 or even in our case before, and no one told us any different.
    She is scheduled for deep brain electronic stimulation next month, so would probably have to wait 6 months if all goes well, before we consider trying if possible to get her C1 status back.
    PS: As of tonight,we have both individually signed the petition.(y)
    Les

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. mexican pete

mexican pete Funster

Ratings:
    +285
    Just added my name to the petition as Linda lost her C1 when diagnosed with Parkinson’s although she can still drive her car which needs to be renewed every 3 years.

• Like it Like it x 3
  8. Abacist

Abacist Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,711
    Signed

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. pandas

pandas Funster

Ratings:
    +267
    Signed but quite a challenge to get it changed - a piece in the Times this weekend about the number of motorists loosing their licence @ 70, that is for a normal car not C1. The government says there is going to be a significant review sometime this year. Thats what the paper says anyhow!
    According to the figures, 61,482 car and motorbike licences were revoked on medical grounds last year, up by 116.8 per cent since 2010. The rate has risen by 104 per cent among under-70s. This is usually a result of voluntary disclosures or follow-up assessments.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. shunter

shunter Funster

Ratings:
    +1,044
    signed

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Landy Andy

Landy Andy Funster

Ratings:
    +421
    That’s only for motorhomes over 3.5t, so I think they should be classed as lorries and treated according.

No signature from me.

• Like it Like it x 5
  12. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,530
    I have every sympathy for anyone affected by Parkinsons, having seen it first hand in relatives and friends. However I find this particular petition a bit muddled, it appears to be challenging weight restrictions as well as the health issues. There are also other diseases that cause problems for drivers. I would like to see improvements to the health screening procedures and also changes to the 3500kg limit but I think they might be better dealt with separately.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Like it Like it x 1
  13. MHdreaming

MHdreaming Funster

Ratings:
    +31
    I know this won’t be a popular thought on here but I can’t ever see this getting majority public or parliament support. It was long overdue that car licence holders are restricted to 3500kgs. A few years ago we sat in our week old motorhome parked in a service area drinking tea only to be sideswiped by a caravan, so I also support tests for car drivers wanting to tow caravans.

• Like it Like it x 2
  14. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Ratings:
    +574
    Signed

15. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +8,120
    I tend to agree its no different to restrictions due to other illnesses. Its an extension to the feeling a lot of people seem to have that driving is a right once you pass your original test. As for removing the medical at 70 do so at your peril the first time theres an accident with any query about age related illness being a contributing factor there will either be more draconian measures (repeat driving test or similar ) or very heavy insurance loadings.

• Like it Like it x 2
  16. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +7,438
    Don’t know long this petition has been running but there’s only 624 signatures at the moment.
    Can’t see it getting to 100,000 any time soon.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Ratings:
    +16,782
    Diabetes UK pressed Parliament and had a downloadable 'letter to your MP' that each one of us could send to him or her (if we were interested) to request they allowed us to try and regain our C1 entitlement and now - we have. However - it's only issued for 12 months at a time (our car licences for 1, 2 or 3 years depending on medicals and eyesight which in the first instance the diabetic fills in himself but they may ask our GPs, consultants and optometrists (if they have to see one) for a medical report any time they want to. Jenny thinks GPs answer DVLA's enquiries free (from just their existing records, no examination for this) but knows they do NOT treat them as urgent. She doesn't know about the other two or who would be expected to pay for it either for her car licence or if she reapplied for her C1.

Good luck !

18. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Ratings:
    +828
    Signed

19. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +8,222
    Nothing like a lorry,,Many motorhomes plated at 3800 are exactly the same as under 3500 models.BUSBY:D2:D2

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  20. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +8,120
    So where would you put the line there will always be some just about the same that weigh a bit more!!!!!!

• Like it Like it x 1