70+ Licence Petition (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I'll need me reading glasses to open that link, eer luv, can you sign this for me, me hands are shakin and I wont get it between those silly lines:D
Les

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My mum falls into this category and haslost her C1, although I don't agree with the caravan weights and towing I think its a good thing to a certain degree...allow daytime driving but not night time might be a good alternative.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'll need me reading glasses to open that link, eer luv, can you sign this for me, me hands are shakin and I wont get it between those silly lines:D
Les
Leave off the whisky :LOL:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I know I made a joke of this thread earlier, but having now found my reading glasses(y) and opened it, I have found this especially relevant as TinaL OH as Parkinson's Disease, she is now 57 years old, but dont tell her I told you so;)
She lost her C1 entitlement some years back,when first diagnosed and we both unknowingly assumed that this was irreversible.
She does get signed off as OK to drive her car by her consultant neurologist, which is great as that provides so much independence for her to get around locally.
We had both resigned ourselves to the fact that having lost her C1 that she would never be able to drive our new moho as its over 3500KG,s, therefore I am the only named driver.
Thanks for posting this @Larrynwin lets hope it gets to 10K signatures, as its discrimination against all those that deemed fit to drive at age 70 or even in our case before, and no one told us any different.
She is scheduled for deep brain electronic stimulation next month, so would probably have to wait 6 months if all goes well, before we consider trying if possible to get her C1 status back.
PS: As of tonight,we have both individually signed the petition.(y)
Les

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Signed but quite a challenge to get it changed - a piece in the Times this weekend about the number of motorists loosing their licence @ 70, that is for a normal car not C1. The government says there is going to be a significant review sometime this year. Thats what the paper says anyhow!
According to the figures, 61,482 car and motorbike licences were revoked on medical grounds last year, up by 116.8 per cent since 2010. The rate has risen by 104 per cent among under-70s. This is usually a result of voluntary disclosures or follow-up assessments.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have every sympathy for anyone affected by Parkinsons, having seen it first hand in relatives and friends. However I find this particular petition a bit muddled, it appears to be challenging weight restrictions as well as the health issues. There are also other diseases that cause problems for drivers. I would like to see improvements to the health screening procedures and also changes to the 3500kg limit but I think they might be better dealt with separately.

Last edited:

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
I know this won’t be a popular thought on here but I can’t ever see this getting majority public or parliament support. It was long overdue that car licence holders are restricted to 3500kgs. A few years ago we sat in our week old motorhome parked in a service area drinking tea only to be sideswiped by a caravan, so I also support tests for car drivers wanting to tow caravans.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I know this won’t be a popular thought on here but I can’t ever see this getting majority public or parliament support. It was long overdue that car licence holders are restricted to 3500kgs. A few years ago we sat in our week old motorhome parked in a service area drinking tea only to be sideswiped by a caravan, so I also support tests for car drivers wanting to tow caravans.
I tend to agree its no different to restrictions due to other illnesses. Its an extension to the feeling a lot of people seem to have that driving is a right once you pass your original test. As for removing the medical at 70 do so at your peril the first time theres an accident with any query about age related illness being a contributing factor there will either be more draconian measures (repeat driving test or similar ) or very heavy insurance loadings.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Diabetes UK pressed Parliament and had a downloadable 'letter to your MP' that each one of us could send to him or her (if we were interested) to request they allowed us to try and regain our C1 entitlement and now - we have. However - it's only issued for 12 months at a time (our car licences for 1, 2 or 3 years depending on medicals and eyesight which in the first instance the diabetic fills in himself but they may ask our GPs, consultants and optometrists (if they have to see one) for a medical report any time they want to. Jenny thinks GPs answer DVLA's enquiries free (from just their existing records, no examination for this) but knows they do NOT treat them as urgent. She doesn't know about the other two or who would be expected to pay for it either for her car licence or if she reapplied for her C1.

Good luck !

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nothing like a lorry,,Many motorhomes plated at 3800 are exactly the same as under 3500 models.BUSBY:D2:D2
So where would you put the line there will always be some just about the same that weigh a bit more!!!!!!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
People age so differently, it's a tricky one. The government have made no secret of the fact they want the state pension age to be 70, which makes >3500kg difficult from day 1.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So where would you put the line there will always be some just about the same that weigh a bit more!!!!!!

Always difficult to draw lines but would need to encompass the base vehicles being used for conversion. It seems that the engine/chassis weight is at the minimum possible for conversion purposes and actual conversion probably as light as it can be which in combination presently is not allowing for adequate payload.
With that in mind a GVW of 4000kgs and a MIRO around 3000kgs would allow a reasonable payload if build stays the same.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Whilst the effect on any potential changes would reach further than just motorhomers, I can't see that much consideration for changes will be given to motorhomes & quite right too

Quite frankly, I think there are more important things to support than a few people having jump thought a few hoops so they can drive a bigger motorhome - sorry!

Deleted User
Nothing like a lorry,,Many motorhomes plated at 3800 are exactly the same as under 3500 models.BUSBY:D2:D2

But a line has to be drawn somewhere!.......4000k, 5000k, 7500k....12000k.....200000k?

Wherever the line is drawn someone will say exactly the same as you have.

A heavy vehicle is a heavy vehicle, be it carrying goods, people or used for leisure.

I agree with the discrepancy regarding overall weights on a B+E licence though.

I held a Class 1 HGV and then C+E licence from being 21 until 66, and toured with a fifth wheeler for a few years which required only a B+E licence, the thought of someone with a grandfathers rights B+E licence driving one of those things is worrying to put it mildly.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
But a line has to be drawn somewhere!.......4000k, 5000k, 7500k....12000k.....200000k?

A heavy vehicle is a heavy vehicle, be it carrying goods, people or used for leisure.

I held a Class 1 HGV and then C+E licence from being 21 until 66, and toured with a fifth wheeler for a few years which required only a B+E licence, the thought of someone with a grandfathers rights B+E licence driving one of those things is worrying to put it mildly.
plus if using grand father rights with a b+e if using a down plated 7.5 ton as the tow vehicle the train still can be 11-12 tons.
so long as the train weight of the towing vehicle isnt broken.
they lower the gvw but leave the train weight as original.

Deleted User
plus if using grand father rights with a b+e if using a down plated 7.5 ton as the tow vehicle the train still can be 11-12 tons.
so long as the train weight of the towing vehicle isnt broken.
they lower the gvw but leave the train weight as original.

Yes, a ridiculous situation.

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Shout too loud about the licence restrictions and it could end up like the old age pension. Many thought the men should get it at 60 same as the women and what did they do? I can see a reasonable argument for all drivers passing a car test being restricted to a 6 metre panel van and anything wider or longer would need another test.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes, a ridiculous situation.
there was a time when only passing the car test allowed folk to drive any size bus or coach without a test, if not for hire and reward . that sort of went in 1991 unless they took a medical and proved they did drive buses etc.
the rules have always been daft.
seems most of the motorhomers with big campers cant reverse them or go down non main roads anyway. hee hee

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmmm ... this is what the petition says:

Under existing rules motorhomes are grouped with lorries and buses by the DVLA. This means drivers with motorhomes who have Parkinson’s disease or over 70 are subject to an assessment which comes at a financial cost.​

This is illogical as vehicles classified as “cars with trailers” can weigh more than motorhomes – up to 8 tonnes – yet don’t require this assessment.​

1. When diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease your C1 / C1E entitlements to drive a motorhome should remain, unless a GP / Consultant says otherwise, and be reviewed on a 3-yearly basis, as per B / BE.
2. Medium-sized vehicles C1 / C1E, such as motorhomes, should be treated the same as Cars B / BE, with a possible weight restriction on 6-7 tonnes. (Create a separate category under Class 1 – Leisure vehicles).
3. At 70 you should retain your C1 / C1E to drive a motorhome unless a GP / Consultant says otherwise.
My comments:

1. Agreed for ALL medical conditions at diagnosis - assuming the consultant is knowledgeable enough about the patient to be able to make an assessment on their ability to drive or not, this I think would be the issue and something which a consultant may/may not be willing to comment on.

2. Agree there should be a separate category for motorhomes anyway as they are usually private use vehicles for leisure, not for commercial reward, although obviously some motorhomes are used in the pursuance of business, however it should not be an automatic entitlement to those with a car licence and instead a separate test needs to be undertaken to drive a motorhome over 3500kg, different from the current commercial test which is way over the top for what is required/needed.

3. Agree - however as the check at 70 is sometimes the ONLY way those who are driving and shouldn't be are found and stopped something else would need to be put in place to 'catch' those who should NOT be driving full stop. 70 IMV is too late to catch those who have issues and shouldn't be driving at any age.​

So if the automatic 'lose' the C1 etc at 70 is stopped and instead something is put in place to check driving ability at ANY AGE I'd be more than happy to support it but the petition itself is too 'one sided' to be of any use and I seriously doubt it would get considered even if it did get the requisite number of signatures.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I got my class 1 licence on Grandfather rights back in 1969/70..Difficult where to draw the line and because motorhomes are being fitted with more luxuries they are getting heavier which really is highlighting the problem. Its a dilemma for some because staying with a van plated at 3500 means many are overloaded because the pay loads are so low. Probably a compromise would be to make it 5000 kg for leisure vehicles,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back