4k Diesel heater (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2021
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Tabbert 740 A-class
Exp
Hi

Any help or advice on is it possible to run the diesel heater into Truma heating duct that goes to Battery/Tanks and garage please? with main flow into the living area of van.
This our first van with a Truma heating system and not that impressed with heat/blow flow all around the van, Diesel install would be for trip to Norway/Sweden and it wasn't that warm in Wales when tested!! our previous vans have had Alde systems,
Thanks for your help

Oisin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes you can a couple of Funsters have done it, you need adaptors for the trunking as the diesel heater is 75mm internal and I think the Truma is 65mm.

The Truma heaters are pretty good if installed properly a lot of manufacturers cut corners. Our 7.5m A Class gets toasty warm with the Truma most of the time the fan is on low you can't even hear it.

Hears a search result for Diesel Heaters.
<Broken link removed>

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

Any help or advice on is it possible to run the diesel heater into Truma heating duct that goes to Battery/Tanks and garage please? with main flow into the living area of van.
This our first van with a Truma heating system and not that impressed with heat/blow flow all around the van, Diesel install would be for trip to Norway/Sweden and it wasn't that warm in Wales when tested!! our previous vans have had Alde systems,
Thanks for your help

Oisin

Do you want to use just the diesel heater full stop or be able to use your Truma to blow cool air in summer heat if it has that function?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Strangely I had this thought as well.

Think I’ll do as Two on Tour has done and I’ll just blow the hot air from one outlet under the bed straight down the van 😊

Unless he has evolved it as he’s known to do 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I've fitted an additional Webasto airtop heater to our PVC and have 2 separate outlets, one under the dinette seat and one in the bathroom which points to the rear of the van. We still had problems with the Truma dump valve triggering as there wasn't enough heat getting into the area where the dump valve is located and also the water pipes that go across floor under the bed. The original Truma ducting gets to all these locations. We have been on a 5 week ski tour in the Alps and the Webasto saved us using the gas all the time when off grid but has its limitations due to lack of ducting in the rear of the van.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

This thread might be helpful?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Strangely I had this thought as well.

Think I’ll do as Two on Tour has done and I’ll just blow the hot air from one outlet under the bed straight down the van 😊

Unless he has evolved it as he’s known to do 😊

The heater outlet into our van has evolved by changing from a 75mm to a 90mm outlet and changing the pipework to the heat exchanger inlet of the heater again to 90mm with a flap to throttle the air in if required to increase the heat output.

For anyone feeding into Truma ducting of any length and with multiple outlets, needs to remember that air will always take the route of least resistance, so you may need to partially close off outlets to get the heat where you want it, a bit like balancing radiators on a home central heating system.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The heater outlet into our van has evolved by changing from a 75mm to a 90mm outlet and changing the pipework to the heat exchanger inlet of the heater again to 90mm with a flap to throttle the air in if required to increase the heat output.

For anyone feeding into Truma ducting of any length and with multiple outlets, needs to remember that air will always take the route of least resistance, so you may need to partially close off outlets to get the heat where you want it, a bit like balancing radiators on a home central heating system.

I really need to get you to fit ours 😉😊

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes you can a couple of Funsters have done it, you need adaptors for the trunking as the diesel heater is 75mm internal and I think the Truma is 65mm.

The Truma heaters are pretty good if installed properly a lot of manufacturers cut corners. Our 7.5m A Class gets toasty warm with the Truma most of the time the fan is on low you can't even hear it.

Hears a search result for Diesel Heaters.
<Broken link removed>
Same as ours in our Hymer motorhome.

A contrast to the heat output of our Truma 3002 in our Hymer caravan coupled with the poor heat retention of of walls. Yes, we can stay warm. But the 2000w electric element in the Truma 3002 need the additional gas input when cold or windy. Along with a 500w electric radiator oil the bathroom.

OP
OP
O
Dec 6, 2021
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Tabbert 740 A-class
Exp
Thanks for the input:giggle:

My idea was to try and keep the cavity between floors warm so reducing chance of Lithium/grey&fresh tanks/boiler dump valve and garage having problems if below zero for prolonged period,
Have many of you taken fuel from main fuel tank? or just using 20ltr marine tank?
Anyone recommend someone to do supply and installation? not worried about location as would prefer a recommendation and do the job correctly once..
thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back