Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I've been considering fitting a 4G Aerial to the roof of my Hymer Mercedes A Class. The aerials are much discussed on this site so I'm familiar with what's available.
However my motorhome already has 'internet in the car' abilities but sadly at highly inflated prices per GB making it not cost effective. This got me thinking that the van must have some sort of 4G aerial fitted already and indeed when I look up the VIN on mbdecoder.com I see it has the following fitted:
E4A​
Antenna Interface For Radio, Navigation And Mobile Radio​

Does anyone know if it might be possibly to connect my own mifi unit to this aerial somehow?

Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi
I've been considering fitting a 4G Aerial to the roof of my Hymer Mercedes A Class. The aerials are much discussed on this site so I'm familiar with what's available.
However my motorhome already has 'internet in the car' abilities but sadly at highly inflated prices per GB making it not cost effective. This got me thinking that the van must have some sort of 4G aerial fitted already and indeed when I look up the VIN on mbdecoder.com I see it has the following fitted:
E4A​
Antenna Interface For Radio, Navigation And Mobile Radio​

Does anyone know if it might be possibly to connect my own mifi unit to this aerial somehow?

Thanks.
No, you need a proper 4G aerial preferably a MIMO tyor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I've just ordered a mimo external antenna through ebay ....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've just ordered a mimo external antenna through ebay ....
Hope you ordered a decent one there are loads of cheapo ones on eBay for 20 or 3O quid I would think they are waste if time as a lot of them come with 5m leads. Cables that length will lose more signal than the aerial gains. Best to stick with reptical makes like Poynting.

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
No, you need a proper 4G aerial preferably a MIMO tyor.

Thanks Lenny HB I like the look of this one, wifi as well!

It has up to 60mm clamping thickness, I seem to remember you saying on another post that is not deep enough for an A-class motorhome? Did you just stick yours down with sikaflex?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB I like the look of this one, wifi as well!

It has up to 60mm clamping thickness, I seem to remember you saying on another post that is not deep enough for an A-class motorhome? Did you just stick yours down with sikaflex?
That one is the same as the one I have except my one doesn't have the WiFi, it works very well. They have discontinued the one without the WiFi as a replacement due.
To make use of the WiFi you would need a WiFi router that can accept external aerials, usually only expensive professional ones these days.

Fitting my one I removed the sticky pad on the base and fixed it with Sikaflex.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
That one is the same as the one I have except my one doesn't have the WiFi, it works very well. They have discontinued the one without the WiFi as a replacement due.
To make use of the WiFi you would need a WiFi router that can accept external aerials, usually only expensive professional ones these days.

Fitting my one I removed the sticky pad on the base and fixed it with Sikaflex.
Thanks Lenny HB for WiFi I've got an existing setup using an Alfa R36 and Alfa AWUS036H connected to an external WiFi aerial (suction variety) which hopefully will be able to plug into this aerial. You can still get them although there is a later model now. It's less than £80 for both items and it has worked very well for me in the past. I got them from https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/ and they were very helpful with advice and support.

May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
Just fitted a 5G ready Mi-fi aerial (with a 4G router) from Motorhome Wi-fi. I am advised the 5G antenna provides extra gain to the 4G version. Having installed the router and hooked up the antenna I can get strong 4G on my drive. This is amazing because the only way I can get mobile phone signal is through a signal generator on my home Wi-fi. Very pleased with the kit and full marks to Motorhome Wi-fi ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB for WiFi I've got an existing setup using an Alfa R36 and Alfa AWUS036H connected to an external WiFi aerial (suction variety) which hopefully will be able to plug into this aerial. You can still get them although there is a later model now. It's less than £80 for both items and it has worked very well for me in the past. I got them from https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/ and they were very helpful with advice and support.
I have an R36 it's not the right type of router it's signal input is USB or 3G dongle, I have a directional aerial I put on the roof, don't use much now.

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
I have an R36 it's not the right type of router it's signal input is USB or 3G dongle, I have a directional aerial I put on the roof, don't use much now.
The R36 needs to be connected to the Alfa AWUS036H, the external aerial then plugs into the AWUS036H

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi funsters hope you all are keeping safe We also have motorhome wifi set up for over 12months and works extremely well in all parts of europe that we have been Some people say the are a bit expensive but once again as I have said in other blogs you only get what you pay for Also you get a good after sale service been worth every penny

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
That's only for your local wifi not the incoming signal.
Not sure what you mean by that. This setup has worked fine for me for many years, pulling in an external network (e.g. campsite wifi) and redistributing it in the van on my own internal wifi network supporting multiple devices.

This is the setup I have albeit with a different aerial:
<Broken link removed>

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not sure what you mean by that. This setup has worked fine for me for many years, pulling in an external network (e.g. campsite wifi) and redistributing it in the van on my own internal wifi network supporting multiple devices.

This is the setup I have albeit with a different aerial:
<Broken link removed>
I think I get what you are doing now you are connecting the AWUS036H to the USB port on the R35 and replacing the aerial on the AWUS036H with an external aerial.
I have a USB aerial like thisthat plugs straight into the R36.
1587549483550.png

I used to have a Omidirectional one but the directional one pulls in a signal from 3 or 4 times the distance.

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Yes Lenny HB that's exactly it. I'm hoping I can connect the Poynting aerial to that setup to pick up WiFi although given how bad most campsite WiFi is I'll probably mainly be relying on 4G.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Hope you ordered a decent one there are loads of cheapo ones on eBay for 20 or 3O quid I would think they are waste if time as a lot of them come with 5m leads. Cables that length will lose more signal than the aerial gains. Best to stick with reptical makes like Poynting.

it came today with 5m of cable. havent had time to play yet, but can i get the cable length reduced anywhere if necessary?

i assume its like a normal aerial lead, but just much smaller ????? or is there something special about the cable and connectors?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
it came today with 5m of cable. havent had time to play yet, but can i get the cable length reduced anywhere if necessary?

i assume its like a normal aerial lead, but just much smaller ????? or is there something special about the cable and connectors?
The the cable and connectors are designed to have a low capacitance at the high frequencies they are used at.

Ideally the cable length wants to be kept below one metre as cable looses are quite significant.
Best way of shortening the cable is to buy a new connector and fit to the shortened cable, most are crimped type but I think you can get soldered ones. You could just cut and solder the cable try and keep the branding screen in tack around the joint.

Try it first and see how you get on, be aware you can get throught a few gigs of data running tests.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
thanks. i will start testing in a couple of days, got far too much to finish off before then !!! I darent start a new project until i have finished the ones on the go

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I have a Alfa AWUS036NH which I bought a few years ago and used to connect it directly (via USB) to my MacBook. I checked this morning, and Alfa have not released the SW for the latest Catalina Mac SW. I have now seen this thread and very interesting in the Alfa R36A which apparently can connect to the AWUS036NH (instead of connecting it directly to the laptop).

My question to either Lenny or Henry is whether you know if the R36A will need firmware/SW drivers to connect to the latest SW version of my Mac (I assume that for initial set up I would need to connect my laptop to the router in order to configure it)?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My question to either Lenny or Henry is whether you know if the R36A will need firmware/SW drivers to connect to the latest SW version of my Mac (I assume that for initial set up I would need to connect my laptop to the router in order to configure it)?
Should be like connecting to any other router. To set it up just plug into the ethernet port on the rear of the R36.
Can also be able to connect via wifi to change stetting, I prefer for first time use on any equipment to use a hardware connection but that's me being a nerd.

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Lenny. I have just ordered one and will now look into better aerial options.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
All this is all well and good until people come and burn it down to stop it spreading viruses! ????

Wyn

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I have a Alfa AWUS036NH which I bought a few years ago and used to connect it directly (via USB) to my MacBook. I checked this morning, and Alfa have not released the SW for the latest Catalina Mac SW. I have now seen this thread and very interesting in the Alfa R36A which apparently can connect to the AWUS036NH (instead of connecting it directly to the laptop).

Hi Pebble99 I've never connected the Alfa directly to my MacBook (or any PC for that matter). I've always connected mine to the Alfa R36A which avoids the issue as all config is then done via a browser.

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Henry/Lenny. My R36A arrived and I set it up with my AWUS06NH and all works fine with regular Wifi networks. I did read somewhere that it doesn't work with BT FON Wifi so I am wondering whether the R36A can support access to campsite Wifi which has a dedicated login portal page (or any WiFi network like this incl BT FON or the Orange Wifi in France).

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Henry/Lenny. My R36A arrived and I set it up with my AWUS06NH and all works fine with regular Wifi networks. I did read somewhere that it doesn't work with BT FON Wifi so I am wondering whether the R36A can support access to campsite Wifi which has a dedicated login portal page (or any WiFi network like this incl BT FON or the Orange Wifi in France).
I've not tried it with FON. With campsite WiFi it's a bit hit and miss. The dedicated login portal is not an issue as you just login on one device and it logs everybody else in so they can use the WiFi. However on some campsites I've had issues getting the Alfa setup to work, whether they can actively block this kind of sharing I don't know. I tend to use 4G these days as campsite WiFi is usually awful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back