3 litre Fiat, making a mechanical "lump" noise on start up??? (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our 9000 mile, 2011 Fiat Ducato/Autotrail runs smoothly, pulls well and very happy with it,,, except,,,

Every time on starting, the engine spins over and just as it fires and starts a noticeable mechanical "lump" can be heard, and felt, but only for a second, immediately after this noise the engine runs fine.
Anyone else out there godda Fiat wiv a Lump,???

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Apologies if I'm way off the mark, but my 2009 Bessie used to have a clunk on starting up and I sussed it to be the step retracting automatically on start up.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think I know what you mean...
This was in a 2.8l engine but not my van ,so never really looked into it
But on start up it had a split second where it made a rather clunky noise.. a sort of hesitation then fired... it always ran well...
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Ours does the same, seems like a clunk on turnover.. I spoke to Fiat on that when I noticed it and here is the answer :

It is a known issue and is not a problem. It is the Dogbone Gearbox Mounting on Start-up, the noise is caused by a very slight movement of the Gearbox when Kicking over. The Rubber Mounting has gone hard and when it gets warm (from being used) it will be quiet. You can have it inspected at service intervals and if the rubber looks worn, it will be replaced. It is not a recall issue.

Only happens on 3 Litre engine models. Hope that helps...

This has been a public service broadcast... (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ours does the same, seems like a clunk on turnover.. I spoke to Fiat on that when I noticed it and here is the answer :

It is a known issue and is not a problem. It is the Dogbone Gearbox Mounting on Start-up, the noise is caused by a very slight movement of the Gearbox when Kicking over. The Rubber Mounting has gone hard and when it gets warm (from being used) it will be quiet. You can have it inspected at service intervals and if the rubber looks worn, it will be replaced. It is not a recall issue.

That makes sense, I was going to suggest engine mountings, though it would be worth getting them checked as well.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We used to have an Autotrail with the 3lt engine, like yours there was a knocking sound when starting the engine from cold, fine when the engine was warm.

We had the engine and gearbox mountings changed as a result and that stopped the knocking.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My 2008 Geist Spirit 3.0 litre Fiat developed a knock when starting from cold. I found that I could stop it doing it by holding tight onto the Front pipe whilst laying underneath the van, so I found a stronger exhaust rubber and fitted it to the first exhaust hanger and that solved the problem.

I always assumed it was a fatigued exhaust mounting as it never did again.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"Only happens on 3 Litre engine models. Hope that helps... "

Actually it can happen on all engine variants fitted to X250 models, my 2009 2.3 does it.

D.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My 2008 Geist Spirit 3.0 litre Fiat developed a knock when starting from cold. I found that I could stop it doing it by holding tight onto the Front pipe whilst laying underneath the van, so I found a stronger exhaust rubber and fitted it to the first exhaust hanger and that solved the problem.

I always assumed it was a fatigued exhaust mounting as it never did again.
Surely the co pilot could have done that on every journey ;)

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Many thanks for all your replies,,, was told by a Fiat technician today that the "lump noise" is a characteristic of the 3 litre engine, apparently its never caused a problem,?!

When I said that I'd like to know what is actually causing the noise,,, you know, just for peace of mind, the guy said he didn't know,???!

So there you have it,,, the Fiat 3 litre lump,,, with a lump,,, cause unknown,?!

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Just way of an update on my post above... Our Motorhome goes in to have some Fiat Warranty work done on Monday with some sensors, and they are going to change the Gearbox Mounting whilst in there.. All under warranty. (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our 9000 mile, 2011 Fiat Ducato/Autotrail runs smoothly, pulls well and very happy with it,,, except,,,

Every time on starting, the engine spins over and just as it fires and starts a noticeable mechanical "lump" can be heard, and felt, but only for a second, immediately after this noise the engine runs fine.
Anyone else out there godda Fiat wiv a Lump,???
My 3 litre Auto-Sleeper used to do that, right from new. Fiat (alleged) Professional garage weren't interested and said it was normal

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Mine turned out to be exhaust touching the engine crossmember. They run bey close but can be adjusted.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

When we give our dogbone he goes quiet..... Not Fiat ones mind.....

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Know what you mean, mine did the same. They was a short of delay and then'clunk' and then fired up. Never let me down.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A 2008 Burstner on a Fiat we once had used to it until the engine mountings were changed as part of the judder fix.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back