2nd Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Looking to add a second leisure battery - On looking the one we have on our new to us Autocruise Rhythm is a Haze Gel Battery HZY-EV12-110 - I haven't heard of this make, Would I need to add another the same make, type etc.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ideally you could do with knowing the age and use the existing battery has had.. it may not be worth adding a new battery to one at the end of its life..
If its fairly new then yes another battery of the same type and make would be best imo...
Andy.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
They need to be matched in age and type and make.

Mixing batteries just kills them both.

I remember as a Boy Scout on a night hike mixing dead with new batteries on my torch and they just died in minutes. Spent most of the night walking in the dark.

I did a make shift effort for F1 this month but I’m just going to add solar for long term as it will be more than enough for the odd off grid we do.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/doubled-my-battery-bank-sort-of.178155/#post-2893335

In the end we ran the engine for a good hour a day for the A/C as it was blistering hot so we could have easy managed with just one as no heating was used at all or the TV for the whole 6 days.

Before the noise police speak about running the engine we were 200yards from a live track and formula cars running round all day and 100 yards from the heli landing pad with arrivals every 90 seconds! We made no noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
typeof battery need to match as the charging regime needs to be the same for both. make and capacity is not important ,age? in an ideal world yes they should be the same but provided the original is healthy not a problem

OP
OP
Cinderz
Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Thank you for all the info, I have no idea how old the battery is. The van is 8 years old with a very low mileage and has no doubt been lying about doing little. We have a battery that was our 2nd leisure one from our previous motorhome but a lead acid one. Looks like we will be shelling out to match one or t'other. Thanks again.

Pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As said.... Age and type, critical
Capacity and make, doesn't matter.

Your charger will only 'see' multiple batteries as one large battery.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Mixing batteries just kills them both.

I remember as a Boy Scout on a night hike mixing dead with new batteries on my torch and they just died in minutes. Spent most of the night walking in the dark..

Completely different scenario! Your torch batteries were connected in series so the voltage would remain low even with the addition of one or more new batteries.

With parallel connections (as is the case here) the older battery just becomes a load drawing a current (like any of the other habitation loads) from the good battery. The effect on the overall voltage is minimal.

Ian

OP
OP
Cinderz
Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
I have had a proper look and am now a bit worried that it has been leaking? Looking a bit green round the ?join? will try to take a photo.
20180714_094601.jpg
20180714_094628.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Completely different scenario! Your torch batteries were connected in series so the voltage would remain low even with the addition of one or more new batteries.

With parallel connections (as is the case here) the older battery just becomes a load drawing a current (like any of the other habitation loads) from the good battery. The effect on the overall voltage is minimal.

Ian
Fair point. Had not thought of that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With flooded cells it's not recommended to pair a new battery with one more than a year old but it is not so critical with gel batteries due to there very long life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back