LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So we are off....taking advantage of Mr Mousy's 21 days holiday and feeling in need of a rest following the wedding last weekend of our daughter Phoebe to the lovely Simon.

IMG_0169.JPG

They are off on a wonderful honeymoon to Sri Lanka and the Maldives, we are taking the van and Millie the new puppy to Italy, whilst curbing our jealousy.

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

We are hoping to get to the Italian lakes and Venice. Bold words as we've just realised we've forgotten to buy the map of Italy as recommended by @cliffandger

Not the first disaster of this trip...that would be the fridge door falling off in my hand in Bracknell. A bumpy road and too much champagne in the door was not a good combination. Now all sorted but opening either fridge or freezer requires a delicate touch...

Our step has developed a temperamental attitude..too lazy to fully open, it flops half way down ready to catch the ankles of the unwary..

Of course we were late for the train but they kindly put us on the next one, which we missed whilst swearing at the fridge, we eventually got on a train and thought whay hay we is on our holibobs...only for the guy in front to brake down blocking our exit!

IMG_0172.JPG

We offered to get the kettle on and I was keen on drinking some of the fizz but thought that might be inappropriate, the tunnel man said when things like this happen it's always the people in camping cars who are laid back...

I can't promise to post everyday but am happy to inundate you all with pictures of the puppy...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have a nice time and do keep us informed of your further unfolding adventures,

Oh and pictures of the puppy.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Do you have a link to the doggie carrier in your picture please? Oh, and have a great holiday without any further mishaps. :sun:
Hi I can't do a link but it was about Ā£15 from Amazon
It's OK but flimsy I will be upgrading to a solvit car carrier when she's fully grown. Both have attachments which hook onto her chest harness.
We also have a strap that clicks into the seat belt and her harness.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Beautiful wedding photo !
Have a great holiday.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Lovely wedding photos.....cute puppy photos....hope you have fantastic problem free holibobs:sun:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do you have a link to the doggie carrier in your picture please? Oh, and have a great holiday without any further mishaps. :sun:
We have a very similar one that goes on our bikes also, we've had it a few years now so can't remember where we bought it but very sturdy and secure. It can be a bit hard to balance when Toby spots a cat though :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Love the wedding photo what a lovely looking couple, I'm sure they'll be jealous of your trip as it sounds fab. Enjoy your trip

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could this be the real reason the fridge door fell off!!!

dog-cartoon-Dan-Reynolds-d.jpg

Would be checking in her basket for leftover bones!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So we've had a good day of driving in lovely sunshine.

Found this lovely aire in Lons le saunier, which made a perfect stop for a late lunch..

IMG_0187.JPG

All local produce bought from the village shop.

I'm afraid I can't upload any more photos today but we are on an aire down near annecy and are hoping to brave the mont blanc tunnel tomorrow.

Millie continues to be a good travelling companion although unlike our old dog Ruby (rip) she's a barker... One woof for wees two woofs for poo and multiple woofs for "give me pork pie".

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Really looking forward to your trip. Love the pictures along with the blog. Enjoy, stay safe. Post lots x

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Friday was spent mostly travelling but we just love being in France, away together in the van..

IMG_0185.JPG

This made us laugh, they had an escape hatch up into the roof, but it didn't seem big enough for a bed, Martin reckons it full of pigeons!

IMG_0188.JPG

A lovely little aire next to tennis courts, boules and a village shop. This is where we had lunch. Why can't we do this in the UK?

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

Well we are on our 2nd honeymoon and they go so well with champagne...

IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG

Yet again overwhelmed by the quality of food on offer at the local supermarket, we had a mad trolley dash stocking up before the bank holiday and Italian prices.
IMG_0206.JPG

A lovely sunset to finish our first full day in France.

IMG_0251.JPG

With plenty of dog stops, shopping and a late lunch we also managed to get some miles under the wheels.

See you all in Italy tomorrow..

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a great time you three. X

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Mmmmm I'd be in my element with all that seafood. Yum yum !
I had to make do with a prawn salad and a pint of Theakstones at the pub in Pateley Bridge today :D. Enjoying your adventure vicariously ......

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The food looks wonderful - especially the fish counter and the Oysters
Does it taste as good as it looks?

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
The food looks wonderful - especially the fish counter and the Oysters
Does it taste as good as it looks?

Robert it all tastes amazing, after all our "shedding for the wedding" we are making the most of it and yes Phil, of course it involves cheese...we wouldn't be called Mousy's otherwise.o_O

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Today we left France and made our way through the mont blanc tunnel to Italy.
IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

Not Guess the bill but Guess the number of bugs...
IMG_0221.JPG

Millie hated the tunnel so I tried giving her a cuddle, she swarmed up over my shoulder and and ended up hiding behind my back...silly pup!
IMG_0228.JPG

Our stop for tonight and our first Italian aire.
IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

All very spring like.
IMG_0244.JPG

A dark handsome Italian came calling on millie, she was a little flirt...
Eagle eyed Funsters will spot the most momentous aspect of this pic...after 4 years of motorhoming, Martin has finally bought some crocs!
IMG_0248.JPG

We decided to celebrate and yes he's saving up for longer trousers.
IMG_0250.JPG

Just a little something to tide us over..

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_0280.JPG
We left the mountains behind and arrived in glorious sunshine to Lake maggorie.

IMG_0313.JPG

It was very busy everywhere with a narrow road hugging the lake edge, no pavements or cycle tracks so a miss mash of bikes, mopeds, cars and people.

IMG_0318.JPG

Just when we were thinking we would never find anywhere to park we spotted a gap and low and behold it was right next to a little park. We wasted no time in setting out our lunch and making ourselves at home..

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

Millie prefers the shade..
IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

The lake is beautiful with lovely villas lining the edge and the slopes behind the road.
IMG_0342.JPG

Spring has definitely arrived early here with wisteria and flowering shrubs in every garden.

Did I mention it's also a tad busy?

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We continued on in high spirits, marvelling at the scenery and the beautiful Italians. We have no Italian but quickly picked up hello and good bye. Martin interspersed these words with every item he could think of from an Italian menu and he sounded positively local!

IMG_0344.JPG

Unfortunately our day then started to go downhill... No spaces for our little moho! We tried 4 campsites each one with small entrances that had to be navigated and 30 point turns to get out of. All full!! Don't they know who we are? Surely half of Italy don't really come here on an easter bank holiday? It would appear they do.

IMG_0353.JPG

We drive to Lake Orta, maggorie's little sister lake thinking that it would be less busy....it's not...still a bank holiday weekend, all campsites still full. By now it's 5pm and we are detecting slightly sneering smiles when we ask, followed by goodbyes in German?! Do Germans wear crocs?!

IMG_0366.JPG

We set the sat nav for an inland campsite figuring that further from the lakes might be less busy. We then have a horrendous drive up into the mountains with hair pin bends, no pics I'm afraid as I was too busy jamming my fists in my mouth silently screaming.
IMG_0376.JPG

We eventually found the only flat piece of land for miles and parked up for the night...free (loading).

IMG_0368.JPG

We walked up to the only bar in the village where once again millie proved a big hit...

IMG_0370.JPG

I rewarded Martins calmness and driving with a beer and a (heart attack inducing) hot chocolate.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
You are very brave Mr & Mrs Mousy I remember a very scary run out in a little hire car in the mountains north of Maggiore :sick:, lots of tiny roads with just red tape for a barrier, reprieved by the best fish pasta meal ever. Loving your pictures as always.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have a dog who hates tunnels! In our normal day to day life in Wales this isn't a problem however, on this holiday it's proving to be fraught as we seem to pass through one every 10 minutes. She will be fast asleep, we enter the tunnel and Bang! She's up Barking.

We were glad to arrive at Lake Garda although you've guessed it...it's busy...
IMG_0389.JPG

First campsite as recommended by Cliff and Ger is full and doesn't take dogs, 2nd campsite a sister site will have places, I feel immense relief as the little Italian receptionist tells me this, but wait "madam no dogs!"
3rd campsite camping continental has places and dogs. Hooray

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

We set up and appear to be the only English in a sea of German campers. We quickly make friends with those nearest by talking in our bollockanise a mix of French English Italian and German. Yah yah is the extent of our German, luckily everyone has perfect English.

They ask about our Welsh number plate. Is it part of the UK or Europe? Is that why we are left hookers?

He also asks does my husband beat me! Not as odd as it sounds as coming back from our walk yesterday I fell over twisting my ankle and banged up my face. I think I'll be keeping my sunglasses on for the rest of the holiday!

IMG_0404.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back