240volt not working (1 Viewer)

cladbear

Free Member
Jan 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
fiat roadstar
Hi we are two we live in our motorhome in devon we have a fiat roadstar and about 3 years ago we bought a ner dometic fridge rmd 8505 up until now it has been ok the control panel does not let us reset it and it goes to gas but not 240volts and it still switches off on its own please can anyone help us
regards cladbear

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Welcome to Fun(y),

Our 1st MH was a Lunar Roadstar. Great van.!!

The RMD 8505 is a popular Fridge in Motorhomes and there have been quite a few threads about them on here.
If you go to the Search Box on the top right of the page and type in ....

RMD 8505

And then click Search, it will show you these threads. There is also a Resources Section on the site on which I put the Technical Service and Installation Manual for this particular fridge. There is a troubleshooting section in the manual.

If you find the wiring diagram, it will show where the 240v element is and you could test for power to the element using a multimeter. Access to the back of the Fridge is via the lower of the two air vents on the outside of the MH.

20210123_140234.jpg

Good Luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Welcome to Fun(y),

Our 1st MH was a Lunar Roadstar. Great van.!!

The RMD 8505 is a popular Fridge in Motorhomes and there have been quite a few threads about them on here.
If you go to the Search Box on the top right of the page and type in ....

RMD 8505

And then click Search, it will show you these threads. There is also a Resources Section on the site on which I put the Technical Service and Installation Manual for this particular fridge. There is a troubleshooting section in the manual.

If you find the wiring diagram, it will show where the 240v element is and you could test for power to the element using a multimeter. Access to the back of the Fridge is via the lower of the two air vents on the outside of the MH.
Good Luck
The OP isn't a member, I'm sure Jim said recently that the search function doesn't work until you subscribe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
If it is not the 240v element it is probably the black electronics unit on the back of the fridge it's a common fault on the 8505 fridges, they are not repairable as the PCB is encapsulated, not cheap they cost about Ā£200.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What happens when you try putting it in 230V? If it automatically switches to gas and there are no flashing lights it could just be that the site's mains supply is at too low voltage.

If it shows it is on for a while but the fridge does not get cold and the lights start flashing it is likely to be the power "brick" at the back. I had that problem last year and thought it would be element so managed to find one and asked the dealer to fit it. Turned out it was the power brick, and the dealer's service manager explained that those fail a lot more than the element.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
These fridges were never designed to be used permanently, and are not cheap to fix. The best case scenario is a failed 240v element

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I had the same problem with ours ( only 1 year or so old!!))

Turned out something had slid into the switch in the cupboard and switched ot off LOL----' not often this type of fault is free to fix!!!!!!!
ALWAYS LOOK AT SIMPLE (FREE) THINGS FIRST!!

Stuart o

Free Member
Oct 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, afraid I'm stuck with same fridge / problem, not working on any form of electric supply, funny thing was I checked the fuse according to the manual for AES fridges and no fuse was fitted !! Seems strange as there is Power to the warning lights panel on the unit..anyway, I put in a 15 amp fuse in the vain hope that it would work , I'll check a bit later on but think it's goosed ..gas from now on until I can get it fixed .
Stuart

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Look on the bright side, works better on gas and a lot cheaper than paying for EHU. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back