2006 mizar gtl living battery charger (1 Viewer)

Brianabbot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2012
Rye
Funster No
MH
Mizar Gtl living
Exp
Since 2006
Hi everyone, we recently bought a mizar living and ive noticed my main battery goes flat after a couple of weeks despite being plugged into a mains supply, my local dealer has said that only the leisure batteries are charged on the mizar. On my last van the charger did both leisure and engine battery and I wondered if I could fit a split charging unit to set this up on the Mizar, or if the van will indeed charge the engine battery but I need to set something on the control panel like my last van.
Any help greatly appreciated
Brian

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I used to have a CI Cipro of similar vintage, and whilst I cannot be certain my recollection is that both batteries were charged when plugged in. I would have thought the mizar would be the same.

But even if not, the battery should not go flat after 2 weeks. Either the battery is faulty or there is a charge leak somewhere (inside lights? radio?) You could try disconnecting the battery to see if it loses charge then.

JeffO

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if nothing can be done regarding the control panel there is a cheap and easy work around.

take a wire, capable of 30amps for safety, between the hab battery and engine battery positive terminals.with a 20amp, easily accessible, fuse in the circuit.
take another wire from the hab battery negative terminal to a chassis earth or the engine battery neg terminal.
this set-up will charge both batteries from the leisure battery/charger.

you will need to remove the fuse when you start the engine or the fuse will blow and dont replace until you are back home/on hookup or it will drain both batteries when in use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Brian, We also have the Mizar but dont think there is a way to charge the engine battery from the on board charger.

The display panel shows the engine battery voltage but i dont see any change when the onboard charger is on it only rises with the engine running.

I have 85w solar on top and a battery master fitted so they are both allways in tip top condition :thumb:.

The next van is going to be a self build and i intend to fit one of these http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/cyrix-120a-225a-425a/

Good Luck.....Ralph

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Hi Brian,

I have two cigarette lighter plugs either end of one cable; one plug goes in the vehicle dash socket and the other in a rear socket off the leisure battery. It is a quick-n-dirty solution to your problem that needs caution. There are 10A fuses in both plugs that can blow if:-

• either battery is very flat.
  • one plug tip touch the vehicles metalwork when the other plug is connected.
  • You try starting the engine.
Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back